Shortages having a knock on effect for us?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
coppinpr

Shortages having a knock on effect for us?

Post by coppinpr »

Anyone tried to book a courier lately? if you have a tame or regular one it might be different but if you simply try and book one on something like Shiply the quotes will come as a big shock! Id expect to pay £50 tops for the distance and item I have now but the first quote in from shiply was £225 !! I thought, no problem, the first one is always a chancer looking for someone to take the first quote, so I waited two days...the lowest I have so far is £181, it would actually be cheaper to get Parcel force to do the job!! I mentioned this to a friend and he put me in the picture,the shortage of drivers of large lorries was caused the big companies to snap up the "luton" size van couriers and offer them big bucks to do point to point deliveries to retailers and shops, hence we now have a shortage of small van couriers dirtdog
Ill be dusting off the driving gloves and unfolding the AA map tomorrow and collecting it myself,is petrol still 5/- a gallon :!?!:
brianh

Re: Shortages having a knock on effect for us?

Post by brianh »

I still use Allan James (Amicus) - always reasonable, never charged more than £70, and totally reliable with timing. Used Allan 4 times in last 12 months so presume he is still operating? tbh Shipley are a joke
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have only used shippers twice in the U.K., shiply once and UPS once, one in Scotland and one in Northumberland. Other than that I always collect, for me part of the joy :cool:

One of my biggest runs was picking up 5 items, from Coventry , Liverpool to Bristol, to Exeter, then onto Slough and back to Suffolk……great fun…….get out and see the country !!BRRRMM!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

great fun…….get out and see the country !!BRRRMM!!
been doing that all my life, in this and 70 other countries,and loved every min, getting older now :#:
jra

Post by jra »

Helllo,
I have used Alan James ( Amicus couriers ) five time this year to transport various items (slot machine, 2x bedside cabinets, floor lamp, )plus a couple of others. Charged me £50 all in, prompt reliable and good communication would highly recommend him.
JRA>
marivo10

Post by marivo10 »

I want to make a bid on a Trade Stimulator on a auction in Canada. I live in the Netherlands so before I made the bid I asked what the shipping fee was.
This was the reply:
Hello, and thank you for your interest in our auction.
Yes, we do provide international shipping. Unfortunately, shipping to Europe can be quite expensive. For this item, the approximate shipping cost to the Netherlands would be about $363.13 (CAD), plus 3% of the hammer price for insurance.
And this for CD250 item.
!PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

this is because a lot of people across the pond don't think we have a postage system in Europe. they think everything is delivered by a runner with a cleft stick. I've had more than one company in the US tell me they couldn't possibly post me a product because they wouldn't know where to begin to post it to the UK (??). I now get all items sent to friends in the US who kindly post it on to me at the normal price(not that US postage is cheap.. it's not.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I'm glad I saw this post about Allan at Amicus. Just given me a very reasonable price for a drop off to here in wildest North Norfolk. £40 cheaper than a bloke who lives a few miles up the road. Useful contact.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

marivo10 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:44 pm I want to make a bid on a Trade Stimulator on a auction in Canada. I live in the Netherlands so before I made the bid I asked what the shipping fee was.
This was the reply:
Hello, and thank you for your interest in our auction.
Yes, we do provide international shipping. Unfortunately, shipping to Europe can be quite expensive. For this item, the approximate shipping cost to the Netherlands would be about $363.13 (CAD), plus 3% of the hammer price for insurance.
And this for CD250 item.
!PUZZLED!
I shipped a rather light trade stim from Canada to Europe recently and that's about correct for air mail. We ended up using ground shipping (boat!) and it was about $160 iirc.
But thoroughly ridiculous
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

that's crazy! I can ship a trade stim, by air, FedEx 2 day delivery,from the UK to Canada for £56.50 :!?!: If I increase the insurance to £250 (which I most likely would not) it only goes up by £10,
is it really THAT much more expensive to ship in the other direction?
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Shipping is a joke these days. I asked for a quote in the us incl shipping on a machine priced at 4000 dollar. They stated they ship. I got the price of the machine and the mailadress of a shipper….. :dammit:. also from the uk i only get a statement of shipping is so expensive these days… the only thing to do is get a quote online. Lack of interest i think