R&W Many Happy Returns/Fill Em Up/What's My Line mech

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

R&W Many Happy Returns/Fill Em Up/What's My Line mech

Post by gameswat »

Topic split & moved from Ruffler & Walker Allwin List - Site Admin.

For what possible reason do the giant R&W allwins use these spring loaded coin chutes? Earth Satellite and What's my Line have different mechs but they both use the same coin chutes with exact same spacing. Seems they could have done this in a much simpler way with just a pressed steel bracket, and if they wanted adjust-ability a couple of bolts welded on would have worked fine. Perplexed in Perth.
Attachments
R&W-coin-1a.jpg
R&W-coin-2a.jpg
R&W-coin-3a.jpg
arrgee

Re: Why spring loaded coin chutes on R&W allwins?

Post by arrgee »

gameswat wrote:Earth Satellite and What's my Line have different mechs but they both use the same coin chutes with exact same spacing.
And not surprisingly gameswat, the 'fill em up' chute is the same - seems rather over-engineered and puzzling as to why they are spring loaded. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
Fill-Em-Up-coin-chutea.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Could it be to prevent the coin chute from being misaligned (bent) when the large, heavy mechanism is manhandled out of its case? Plonk it down heavily on the chute and it just bounces back afterwards? Best theory I could come up with. SkEpTiCaL
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Nice lateral thinking PM, but I've had the door off What's My Line for weeks now and that coin chute isn't proud of the rest of the mech in any way, so I have laid it on its back on the floor with no prob. And those springs would only work with knocking it in that one direction from the back. The bracket that holds it to the backboard is a die-casting with the two steel shafts part of it, so if you were to knock that chute from the side you'd risk cracking the pot metal. And creating die-cast steel molds is expensive, so I really can't see what they were trying to achieve by it??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Perhaps as simple a thing as .....

* Using up NOS they had inherited from somewhere
* Feedback from operators about what they didn't like or they wanted improving.
* A senior company member who was beyond challenging who had a bright idea, and just pushed it through.
* Sales gimmicky, bovine excreta , "Isolating the trip gantry with enhanced power, assists the coin passage three times more energetically than
gravity alone. Resulting in less washers and slugs in the coin box."

BP :!?!:
highfield

Post by highfield »

Could it be a pusher to help clear coin jams !
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Looks like R&W decided it wasn't a good idea. The photo shows a coin chute from a 'Many Happy Returns' machine. Same mechanism but simply mounted on a spacer.
Attachments
R&W coin slide.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

highfield wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pmCould it be a pusher to help clear coin jams !
I thought of that too, but then couldn't really see how coins would get jammed in such a way that this arrangement would have had any benefit.
Then I wondered if perhaps the springs are a bit of a red herring and are there merely to keep the chute rigid in situ, and that the reason for this arrangement was to enable a speedy method of changing the coin chute for one designed for a different coin. So simply remove the two split pins, slide the chute off the steel spigots and then fit alternative chute.
The problem with this of course, is why? I should have thought that these machines were almost university intended to operate on old penny. I doubt many, if any, were exported and what other British coin would they operate with?

So I think I'm with everyone else - stumped!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

My Many Happy Returns coin chute IS spring loaded, the same as the first photos.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Well, well - that is a surprise. It would be interesting to know which came first; spring loaded or simple spacer. I can't find anything like a serial number so I can't think how we would work that out. :-(

Does yours have then end pins on the columns where the balls collect? My machine has had them removed, assumedly to reduce the payouts. Such a shame.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

tallstory wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm Does yours have then end pins on the columns where the balls collect?
The two end pins have been hacksawn off in place. But simple enough to replace as just a piece of rod with small bit of thread on the end. You could just cut up a couple suitable bolts to be lazy.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

My end pins were missing but made suitable replacements.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Gameswat: Thanks for your comment but, unfortunately, the whole assembly - not just the end pin - is missing. When I have time I will get round to taking the assembly apart and seeing if I can get the missing parts remade. Failing that, I think I can make it up with a spacer and a threaded bar but I would prefer something more like the original if possible. The curse of the perfectionist is still haunting me.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tall - well that was a heavy handed way to alter the income! And this being a game with so much built in adjustment to move those rods and change most of the column sizes. Those two bent arms would be very fiddly pieces to bend and fold being so long and skinny so either make them up using bar stock instead or I'd say better yet don't even bother because the fact is most were converted to not use them anyway. Which means it wasn't just one or two greedy operators but a consensus that the game operated better this way. I remember going to a lot of trouble to complete three Bradley Challengers, having never properly played before. And was very disheartened to discover many of the columns would never fill! A similar conversion happened with nearly all the Challengers I've seen too having the center column blocked off as an afterthought, which I believe was likely a factory conversion kit. Again the Challeneger has much built in adjustment to alter the column sizes, but instead of using that they opted to just blank a column instead.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I always look carefully at photos of the MHR machines now and most seem to have the end pins removed. It's just more fun to win more often when it's your machine but I do understand why the operators did it. There is a bias towards the end columns, just like there is in many Alwins, making payouts (or losses) there more frequent.

I will have to reconsider the philosophy of restoring the pins. I have always been better at thinking than doing.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I've been inspired by the great restoration work of you guys and decided to try my hand at making some new end pins for my 'Many Happy Returns' machine. I'm quite pleased with the result, considering I don't have access to a lathe.
Attachments
New-pins-addeda.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

tallstory wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 am Gameswat: Thanks for your comment but, unfortunately, the whole assembly - not just the end pin - is missing.
Ah, so it was just the pin pieces missing as we originally suggested - the way you explained it I thought you had to make the pressed steel armatures they attach to. Glad you figured it out.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

tallstory wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm I'm quite pleased with the result, considering I don't have access to a lathe.
Well done! I think these are so much better with all the winning columns. !THUMBS!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Nice job tall, I agree with Mr PM, with all columns functioning.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks guys. It should make it more fun to play but I can't put it back together until my chrome plating comes back.