How to date a Bradley's Challenger?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brianh

How to date a Bradley's Challenger?

Post by brianh »

I've put my Challenger on the Market section as I reluctantly have to sell it but realised, belatedly, I have no idea of its age. Are there any clues how to date it, as I'm now curious? I gather the metal instruction plates are a clue as later ones were plastic (?) and the machine number is stamped on it as 200 1705 so would that be any guide?
Brian

PS Since posting this item the Challenger has been sold :D - the power of the Penny Machines Market!
Attachments
challenger.jpg
gameswat

Re: How to date a Bradley's Challenger?

Post by gameswat »

I think you can safely list it as 1929 when it was introduced. The serial numbers all seem to start with 1***, as have four that I've had in my workshop and all the others I've seen photos of. So would make yours #705.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another indication that this is an early model is the number '6' in the middle position of the centre casting. Later models had the middle column blanked as a loser and had a '0' on the casting: Re: Bradley Challenger and variants.

This Challenger was mine for a while, purchased at Arcadia '87 Exhibition (New Horticultural Hall, London). Here's the original catalogue image:

Challenger-87.jpg

The middle column had been blanked off, but the payout mechanism was intact and the '6' on the casting had been covered with filler and overpainted with the word, 'Lost'. I removed that, returned the central column to a winner, repainted the metalwork and installed a cash-door lock.

Eventually John Carter acquired it - see photo on page 51 of Arcades & Slot Machines.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I have 2 and didn’t realise that one was a zig zag
Until going through the collection in the 1 st lockdown we’re they made the same time
There doesn’t seem to be any different in the 2 either

Bob
Attachments
2DA9EB95-F97B-453F-89C9-C5EC9BEFEA97a.jpg
1F948DE5-2AF3-4EE8-8177-1A64533A1E3Ba.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Good to see you back Jingalong. PM posted something about this years ago relating to the first three digit model code on the serial plate, Challenger model is #200 - and then he noticed a #202 - which I think was a Shooting Star version. On the site somewhere.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Mine's a Zig Zag.
I'll get the serial number next time I get a spare minute.