Hot off the wire

General vintage slot machine related topics.
roger

Hot off the wire

Post by roger »

I am currently watching a Morphy Auction in progress. A few minutes ago an International Mutoscope Grandma
Fortune Teller just sold for $48,000 against an estimate of $20,000.....I would have estimated $ 15,000
Just a few days ago, someone posted that many 'high rollers' had kicked the bucket in recent years and that prices
for arcade machines had peaked.
SEEMS LIKE THE WHALES HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEAD
ROGER
john t peterson

Re: Hot off the wire

Post by john t peterson »

Keep up the good work, Roger! We all appreciate current pricing information. Dead whales indeed.
roger

Post by roger »

hi. john t peterson;
I am glad to hear that you enjoy the pricing.
Since you are the expert on English machines I would appreciate a little advice.
Do you think my posts are a bit out of tune to the English market ?
English collectors seem to be primarily interested in the repair of machines and a concentration on 'Allwins'.

As you well know, U.S. collectors are obsessed with rare machines even if they can't afford to add one
to their collections.

Please give me some direction so that I can close the culture gap and fine tune my future postings.

Thanks, ROGER
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Roger,

You're fine just as you are. PennyMachines benefits from cross-pollination of British and American interests. From what I can discern, the majority of PennyMachine postings are now focused on slot machines versus the earlier allwins and related collectibles. I think it is a reflection of the age of the members; we love what we played in our youth. We older members pine for the simpler games from the 30's, 40's and '50's while the slots are the mainstays of the majority of the current collectors.

So, keep up your stimulating postings. I, for one, enjoy your observations and interests. I'm sure the other members do too.

J Peterson
Roger, Roger, over and out, USA
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem is Roger, for a lot of us in the U.K. we have never seen some of these fine early machines, as most have ended up being sold to US collectors and the few left in the U.K. are in very private collections. There are less places to see them in public, so we just enjoy what we can afford and have access to :cool:

I suspect there will be collectors of any items from any period, irrespective of whether they remember playing with them as a child as with all collecting……
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

roger wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:14 pm I am currently watching a Morphy Auction in progress. A few minutes ago an International Mutoscope Grandma
Fortune Teller just sold for $48,000 against an estimate of $20,000.....I would have estimated $ 15,000
Just a few days ago, someone posted that many 'high rollers' had kicked the bucket in recent years and that prices
for arcade machines had peaked.
SEEMS LIKE THE WHALES HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEAD
ROGER
I'm just hoping it won't cost me too much to ship it back to the UK
roger

Post by roger »

Moonriver is worrying about the cost of shipping the $48,000 Grandmother Fortune Teller which he believes he purchased
at the recent Morphy auction.

We have an entire wing at my nursing home devoted to people suffering from the same types of delusions. :'( :'(

roger
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

roger wrote:We have an entire wing at my nursing home devoted to people suffering from the same types of delusions.
Keep up the banter Roger - I love your sense of humour :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:

When you say 'my nursing home' do you mean that you own it, or live in it - or both?
roger

Post by roger »

Resident or Owner ??????????? For the amount of money I've paid in rent, I should own this place. roger
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

roger wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:46 pm
We have an entire wing at my nursing home devoted to people suffering from the same types of delusions. :'( :'(

roger
do you have your own key Roger? ....just asking
roger

Post by roger »

Moonriver implied that I could be living in the 'looney-bin" section of my nursing home.
I encourage all members to read the post by chopper dated 0ctober 1, 2021 and entitled
Maths test.......... You can then straighten out moonriver.
roger
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

:HaHa: