Mechanical Memories Auction 2009

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Mechanical Memories Auction 2009

Post by badpenny »

I confirm the Coventry auction is gearing up, I have already committed a handful of machines as have others.
Same venue as the last two Sunday November 29th -Confirmed!!!!

Entries will be accepted via the entry form attached to the MMM or email Jerry by clicking here. So you can do it now!!!!

This time the catalogue will be issued earlier as no late entries on the day will be entertained.
As before entry to the auction and a bidding card is strictly by catalogue.

November 29th is only three and a half months away so dig out your lots and save up your shillings.
Updates and a guide on how to get the best out of the auction will appear in the MMM

Badpenny
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Coventry Auction - 29 November 2009

Post by badpenny »

Going once, going twice …why keep going at all?

Of course I’m talking about the live auctions that Jerry runs and I generally get in the way at.
We’ve run five now, three in Coventry and two at Sarratt in Hertfordshire. I thought I’d take this opportunity to give some insight about how we’d like to see them progress and perhaps some tips as to how you the punter can get the best from them.

First a little history. Be clear if it hadn’t been for Jerry we’d have never have gotten the first one off the ground in Coventry. I suggested trying a live auction in response to general muttering on The Pennymachines website. It had always been my intention to get a social event up and running on a grander scale to the ones I’d run when I was in the pub game, and a vague threat from a collector friend to pack it all in and allow me to dispose of his thirty odd machines provoked me to say “let’s have a go then”.
I don’t think I was really too naive about what was involved as I had done several events on my own and with Steve Hunt and John Hanson. However the mistake I made was to try and emulate what had gone before, whilst Jerry (very correctly) steered us in a more effective and tighter direction. I don’t know about Jerry but I was astonished at how much work was going to be involved in getting all of the little things done that would go towards making the events a success or not.

It seems from the feedback we get that generally speaking everyone enjoys what happens, but true to say that there have been times when we two have sat down at the end and said “That’s the last one!” only to stumble on and have another go six months or so later. So why is that?
We do as much of the forward planning as we can regards venue, refreshments, I.T. system, trade tables and being legal etc, but at the end of the day we can’t estimate how many tables we need to hire, the programme, all the printing and marketing etc. until we know what lots are being entered. And that’s the most critical thing, because no lots means no auction. To be fair vendors like to keep their options open until the last minute and who can blame them, if I were to sell my own machines I’d prefer to wait until the last minute before committing it to an event several weeks in the future, but would have to question if I was getting the best out of the opportunity. The problem is the running order needs to be decided and the programmes are most affective if they go out and tease the buyers a week or two in advance and not only a couple of days.
However if we don’t know what’s turning up we can’t do that, then we are guilty of accepting late entries on the day which does nothing to the smooth running let alone finishing on time. The amount of frantic last minute changes to programmes, I.T. system, running order etc. leads to very late nights even early mornings for someone in Dartford and real flying by the seats of pants for the Coventry team on the day.

I think everyone understands that in order to be able to pay vendors on the day we have to do the cash only and double queuing at the end; and we seem to have gotten across the message that doing deals in the car park is severely frowned upon. From our side we’ve learnt that unplugging the computer in mid auction or relying on a venue where the “gaffer” gets drunk and starts to threaten to start chucking machines off tables to establish his authority are best avoided.
So how do we all get the best out of this? I think we all want the same thing: -
1. A great day out
2. Good venue
3. Lots of machines and spares
4. What is in the programme being what turns up on the day
5. Finishing smoothly and on time
6. Good refreshments and clean toilets.

Generally speaking I think we do the above, but perhaps without the confidence that numbers 4 & 5 will always be achieved.

My view is that we need to ask vendors to stick to the lead time for submitting lots so the programme can do its job and entice the slackening of purse strings. Also we shouldn’t accept last minute entries on the day. Looking at the figures over the auctions we've done confirms if your lot is in the catalogue (and consequently advertised) it does better than those entered late and not advertised. Sadly even highly sought after items entered on the day tend to do badly. I guess people plan before hand what they're going for, and even though a surprise gem attracts a lot of interest on the day, people still bid on what they've been drooling over in the catalogue, merely chucking a "half hearted" punt or two at the stranger of the day.
Also we need to stick rigidly to the ground rules and not make exceptions for anyone. Things like “No lots to be paid for and removed from the saleroom until the end” must apply to all, it’s no good on the day saying you didn’t know and have to go; it’s only fair for everyone.

So that’s how I’d like to go forward, what do you think, after all it is your day?
I can honestly say that the last couple of years or so have been really fun, it’s been great to put faces to names and to see how old and ugly we’re all becoming. Thanks for being there.

So if you are contributing to this year's biggest slotty event in the UK at The Coundon Social Club Coventry on 29th November use the entry form from the next Mechanical Memories Magazine to ensure your lots get the maximum publicity. Alternatively if you are the one that still doesn't subscribe to the only magazine devoted to our hobby then e-mail your entries to Jerry by clicking here without delay.

Jeremy Clapham

email address changed to clicky thing - Site Admin
john t peterson

Re: Coventry Auction - 29 November 2009

Post by john t peterson »

If you blokes don't properly support the tremendous effort Jeremy and Jerry are making to keep this hobby alive and well, I may have to fly across the pond and start kicking some British A**, much as that would pain me, to say nothing about YOU! These two men in particular (and I'd include MR. PENNYMACHINES in the club, but that's a discussion for another day, ) spend way too many unpaid hours of their personal time working to preserve your fabulous coin-operated history for you and future generations. I'm doing a small part here in the USA but it's a pittance compared to J&J.

Ladies and Gentlemen, these are YOUR games and YOUR history. If you won't support the efforts to preserve these machines and the hobby that promotes them, then ignore this auction and "Mechanical Memories" magazine. That will only hasten the day when these games are shipped to America where I can get my hands on them. So, it comes down to a simple choice: you or me. What's it going to be?? I'm voting for YOU! So, get going! :GRRR:

John Peterson
Your American Competitor
Last edited by john t peterson on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JC

Post by JC »

Hello BP, I've been meaning to phone you for.....er.....about three months now. Sorry I may have seemed to disappear from the scene, things have been hectic to say the least. Anyway, that's a really nice piece above, funnily, I've published something very similar in the Oct. issue of the magazine!

Anyway, to the point. The Oct. magazine should be going to the printers tomorrow, so will hopefully be in the post by mid week (ish). Entry forms will be included, so please get them back to me ASAP. As BP says above, we will not be accepting late lots this year so that we can have a fair chance of compiling the catalogue without the usual frantic rush, and BP can set up the spreadsheet a little earlier than the night before the auction.
We already have about 60 lots committed :cool: (yes, that's 60, and the entry forms haven't even gone out yet)! so don't delay - get your entry forms in before we're over-subscribed, and have to start refusing lots.

Let's all look forward to another great slottie day!

Jerry :D

By the way, BP - any chance you could change my email address to one of your clever clicky things? The amount of spam I'm receiving is becoming a joke.

It's done - Site Admin
JC

Post by JC »

John, why don't you fly over and join us for the day? I'm sure you could borrow a 747 from somewhere. You could stop en route at City Airport, which isn't far from me, pick me up, and then fly on to Coventry. It would save me the 2 1/2 hour drive.

Hope to talk soon

Jerry

P.S. All that bloody spam's coming from the U.S. Your're not getting bored in your retirement are you?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Jerry,

Spam is good. It's made by Hormel Corporation in my home state, Minnesota. Give it a try on toast with a little mustard.

john :mrgreen:
brianward

Post by brianward »

I hope to be there in Coventry on the 29th. To be honest I've looked forward to it since the minute I left last years. I also appreciate the hard work that is put into organising such a well run day and the shared advice given to those of us whose machines aren't working as well as they should. Keep up the good work guys.

Ps wife says I can go but can't have any money as I promised last years machine would be my last!!!

brian
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.............. tell her it was the last machine for last year this is another year. :-o
JC

Post by JC »

Everyone should now have their entry forms, in fact I've already had a couple returned. However, we now have a problem, which could escalate. I heard on the BBC earlier this afternoon that another three days of postal strikes are planned for next week. If this action continues, it is quite likely that entry forms could be stuck in the post beyond the closing date of 9th Nov.

Please post entry forms ASAP, as usual, but also email me your lot details, just in case.
We already have 23 lots confirmed, plus over 50 which have been pledged - details of which I'm expecting shortly. So we're off to a good start, let's just hope the postal workers don't bugger it!

Jerry
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Yup count me in with some nice entries. I just need to photograph them. I have to say that the auctioneer at the last event achieved some really, really good prices. Can I ask if the same man will be used again? If so, I am guessing you will be inundated with machines as he achieved some really good prices thanks to his former professional auctioneering experience.
JC

Post by JC »

Hello Cheeky - I look forward to receiving details of your nice lots and photos!
Yes, I can confirm that Kevin will be back again this year, but please remember that it takes more than a good auctioneer to make a good auction:
1. You need good quality lots that punters will want to buy.
2. The afore mentioned lots need to have sensible (or no) reserves.
3. You need buyers with money in their pockets.
4. The afore mentioned buyers need to spend the money in their afore mentioned pockets!

If we get all of this right - then we should have a good one. We already have over 100 lots, which is pretty good at this stage. I shall post more details and lot descriptions in due course.

JC

Post by JC »

Just a reminder that the closing date for entries is 9th Nov. (next Monday), so if there are any vendors who have not yet sent in their entry forms, please get them in the post tomorrow!

To date we have about 200 lots, with more to be added. There is a great selection of machines, with something to suit everyone.
Bandits include: Mills High Top, 2 Poinsettias, a rare Castle Front, Black Cherry. Jennings Dixie Bell, 2 Governors. Pace Commet and a rare Bantam. A cracking Sega High Top. Various Aristocrat, Jubilee and Bally..........Oh, and a Watling Bird of Paradise Rol-a-Top - yes, one of this year's star lots is a machine that I can't remember coming up at auction for many years.
Allwins range from Whales and Wonders to a beautiful Edgerton Double Event.
Bryans machines include 2 Elevenses, Pilwin, Worlborl, Bullion, 2 Clocks...... and once again, we have on offer a Payramid!
Add to this some nice trade stimulators, vending machines, interesting spares, weird and wonderful, a good selection of coins, and you should by now get the message that this is going to be another great day! Can you really afford to miss it?

Catalogues should be ready to order within a week or so. Details in the MARKET in due course.

See you all on the 29th

JC

Post by JC »

Well, it's a little over two weeks to go, and this year's event will be our biggest ever. With 280 lots, there really should be something for everyone. Catalogues will be available to order in the MARKET shortly (as soon as I can remember my password)! So be sure not to miss the biggest UK slotties event.......it only happens once a year!
Attachments
Cov. 09 Cat. Front Cover.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Jerry - your username in the Market is MMM and you remembered the password correctly.
(I sent you the details, but looks like my emails are not reaching you).
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks PM - what a terrible sign of old age, when you can't remember who you are?

Anyway, ad. now posted in the Market, so get your orders in now! Although not stated in the ad., the catalogues should be ready to post mid week (ish). As I've already stated, with 280 lots entered in the auction, this will be our biggest so far. The 'bandit men' in particular will have a field day this year, with over 40 on offer - everything from Aristocrats to our star lot, the Watling Rol-a-Top.

Vendors have supplied a good number of pictures this year, too many to post on this site. So in the next couple of days, I will post them all on my lovely new MMM website (on the News page). Here's a link:

http://mechanicalmemoriesmuseum.webeden.co.uk/

See you all on the 29th

Jerry
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Some auction images already online here: http://mechanicalmemoriesmuseum.webeden ... 4536433181
JC

Post by JC »

Another quick update:

1. All pictures now posted on my site (see above post for direct link).

2. Catalogues still not back from the printers, but will hopefully be ready to post tomorrow or Monday.

3. If you order a catalogue from the Market on this site, please please please let me have your address, as it does not come through on the Paypal advice, and it is very time consuming having to chase buyers for their address.

Jerry
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks all for a very enjoyable day......Even bought my first non bandit relate slot a Bryans Clock, surprising given the number of bandits on sale.. Great day, shame one has to wait another year :D
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Yes, it was a great auction, probably the best for many years. I must remember to bring a torch with me next year though.
grabber

Post by grabber »

Great auction good crowd.
I got a tin Mutoscope and also some spares off the side tables.
Well worth a visit.
I think every one went away happy.
Everyone was very sociable.
My first visit to Coventry auction.
I would recommend it, even if you have to stay overnight.
Congratulations and many thanks to the auction team.