R&W Many Happy Returns/Fill Em Up/What's My Line mech

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

R&W Many Happy Returns/Fill Em Up/What's My Line mech

Post by geofflove »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I’ve just picked up a Many Happy Returns. All good but doesn’t payout the correct amounts.
It moves 2 or 3 slides but never 4 or 5.

The reason for this is the payout flap isn’t fully moving up against the shorter payout fingers meaning it’s not moving far enough to engage all the slides.

I’ve tried adjusting the stop held by the nut (1). By moving this lower it will indeed move the flap full6 and move 5 slides on the biggest column win as it should. The slides all over smoothly. However, on when set like this, when the smallest 2 columns win the mech jams and will only let you partly turn the pay handle. By pulling down on the black bar (2) the flap (3) suddenly seems to free itself and then the handle can be turned all the way to complete the payout. Next time though it’s the same problem.

The flaps appear to move smoothly and freely the rest of the time so I can’t really see what might be making them not move and I can’t even work out how adjusting the position of nut 1 causes this problem as it plays against a spring loaded pusher so not sure why it jams like this.

As I’m not familiar with this mech I’m probably missing something though. Any experts out there? Thanks
Attachments
93B17DDA-25FE-4A70-BA64-C6B9B0D65D6Ea.jpg
A92C1000-0EC3-4D78-9290-031C78B8811Aa.jpg
4E34D645-9EBE-4817-86DC-A44E747FE775a.jpg
dirk55

Re: R & W many happy returns/fill em up mech

Post by dirk55 »

20220121_193633a.jpg

Hi Geoff, I have posted photos of my Fill Em Up so you can compare. I'm no expert but you may see something amiss. I hope this will help.
Best regards Derek
Attachments
20220121_194029a.jpg
20220121_193707a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

It seems that the small payout tabs cause the most problems in the machine. Mine were a bit too long and jammed on the lower plate that rises to determine the payout and wouldn't return after a payout. I ended up filing about 1mm off these to make them work smoothly.
Can you turn the knob by wiggling it when it jams? If not the ratchet finger might need deburring to make it run more smoothly on the track. The final adjustment I made was to use a lower force compression spring below your adjustment bolt circled as one. Now it works smoothly and pays out correctly (most of the time).
I hope this might help but it is a difficult mechanism to fault find without having a 'hands on'.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the suggestions and pics. I think I’ve sorted it. It appears the rearmost flap - the ones that presses the fingers back when the handle is turned had slipped slightly on the shaft meaning it wasn’t pulling the fingers back correctly. Pulling it out a couple of mm seems to have sorted it. That said, I don’t know how long it will stay fixed. The pinch bolt that holds it is fully tightened but a good press moves it on the shaft still. Maybe it’s tight enough - time will tell. There’s a fair bit of leverage due to the length of flap and small shaft.
Anyway thanks for the help. It’s seems to be paying out correctlyish most of the time now!
A lovely looking machine and fun to play.
tallstory

Re: R&W Many Happy Returns/Fill Em Up mech

Post by tallstory »

Glad you have it sorted. Any chance of a few pics?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

A few pics. It’s it lovely condition. Just a slight wave in the backflash but nothing serious.
Attachments
0D1D727A-406A-4DEE-895D-7F1B0F7ADC3Aa.jpg
19584142-29F7-4E94-B902-3FEC104A9697a.jpg
4F1FB409-2A77-40FE-AC14-C5E80C111A8Da.jpg
095FF611-D015-4544-BCB1-CBC409DFDE2Da.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks GL - a lovely example as you say. I notice that the 2 end pins in the ball bearing columns are missing. They were missing on mine too so I did a bit of research online and found that most machines are like this. Obviously it reduces the payout quite dramatically so I can see why operators would do this.
Mine also had the washer around the ball entry missing. I thought I might try to reproduce it, lettering and all. Unfortunately I can't read some the small text running round it. Would you be kind enough to tell me what it says?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstory wrote:Mine also had the washer around the ball entry missing. I thought I might try to reproduce it, lettering and all. Unfortunately I can't read some the small text running round it

Hi ts - couple of photos from a friend's machine that he let me take - should help show you the lettering.
Attachments
R-&-W-1a.jpg
R-&-W-2a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks very much GL. That is a great help. I hadn't realised that the lettering was raised and the material was brass.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

These folk can reproduce them, but too expensive for a one-off, I think: http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstory wrote:Thanks very much GL

GL !PUZZLED! !PUZZLED!

Aha, I should have sent the pics to Geoff for him to post, then your previous post would have been correct tallstory.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

tallstory wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:32 pm Thanks GL - a lovely example as you say. I notice that the 2 end pins in the ball bearing columns are missing. They were missing on mine too so I did a bit of research online and found that most machines are like this. Obviously it reduces the payout quite dramatically so I can see why operators would do this.
Mine also had the washer around the ball entry missing. I thought I might try to reproduce it, lettering and all. Unfortunately I can't read some the small text running round it. Would you be kind enough to tell me what it says?
Ahhhh. I assumed they were meant to be false columns and assumed they never had pins in, but that makes sense. A LOT of balls go down the right column so it would indeed change the odds somewhat.
Anyone got any pics of the parts that would need to be replaced to reinstate them?

I’m away from home for a couple of days but will send a pic of the washer when home. Edit - just seen someone’s helped out quicker than me! Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

geofflove wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm
Anyone got any pics of the parts that would need to be replaced to reinstate them?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for that! Big help.

Tallstory, how did you make you replacement pins? Was it a single piece of bar or two different sizes, one inserted in the other? And what material did you use? Finally how to they attach to the rest of the mech? And finally, finally…… is it straightforward to get the mech off to fit the pins or does it require a million pieces off to get to it?
I’d like to put mine back to how it was made!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

geofflove wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:31 am Tallstory, how did you make you replacement pins? Was it a single piece of bar or two different sizes, one inserted in the other? And what material did you use? Finally how to they attach to the rest of the mech? And finally, finally…… is it straightforward to get the mech off to fit the pins or does it require a million pieces off to get to it?
I’d like to put mine back to how it was made!
Here is the drawing I used to fabricate them. Because I don't have a lathe, I made them from two circular rods - one 3/16" diameter and one 7/16" diameter. I used imperial measure bright steel which is more expensive than metric mild steel but it just didn't look right in metric sizes. I made a couple in metric to try and you are welcome to have these if you like.
Having the rods at the final size meant there was no machining needed on these. The hardest thing was drilling the hole in the centre of the 7/16" rod to take the 3/16" rod.
The pins are fixed to the other metal work with a 2BA nut.
Now mine pays out much more (which is fun), but I can see why operators took out the end pins - they have to make the money to run the arcade.
Attachments
MHR column pin.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:55 pm These folk can reproduce them, but too expensive for a one-off, I think: http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/
Thanks PM, I will ask them for a quote. Otherwise I was simply going to print out the coloured detail on transfer paper and put it on a suitable washer. Have to see how much they want for the work.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

tallstory wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 pm Here is the drawing I used to fabricate them. Because I don't have a lathe, I made them from two circular rods - one 3/16" diameter and one 7/16" diameter. I used imperial measure bright steel which is more expensive than metric mild steel but it just didn't look right in metric sizes. I made a couple in metric to try and you are welcome to have these if you like.
Having the rods at the final size meant there was no machining needed on these. The hardest thing was drilling the hole in the centre of the 7/16" rod to take the 3/16" rod.
The pins are fixed to the other metal work with a 2BA nut.
Now mine pays out much more (which is fun), but I can see why operators took out the end pins - they have to make the money to run the arcade.
Thanks so much! Isn’t it great when someone else does all the hard work?! I should be able to put something together using this. How easy is it to remove the mech to fit these? A big job or not too much to strip down?
Thanks
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

You're welcome Geoff. Taking the unit out is a piece of cake. You have to admire the designer of this machine - it is beautifully and cleverly designed.
Just remove part of the input coin slide (the brass bit gets in the way) unhook the spring that operates the knob release dangly bit and remove 6 screws around the periphery of the main mechanism. Then it just pulls out. That's from memory so please forgive me if I have missed something.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks. I’ll get working on it when I get a min!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstory wrote:Thanks PM, I will ask them for a quote

May be interesting to find out the cost to produce a number of sets - there must be quite a few collectors out there who would like a pair; most of these large R & W machines I have seen, have had their outside pins removed.