The Repair Shop BBC 1

General vintage slot machine related topics.
arrgee

Mutoscope on the Repair Shop

Post by arrgee »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Interesting repair - the owner bought the mutoscope body back in 1967 for £2 !! he subsequently tried to repair the crank handle and in the process lost a bevel gear, so restorer Tim Weeks managed to find one with the same pitch and gear ratio from an old 1920s hand drill which fitted the mutoscope mech! It was just then a matter of reassembly, new paint job and new stand made as the original was missing - a nice touch was the inclusion of the rosettes on the stand.

Worth a lot more than £2 now!
Attachments
mutoscope1.jpg
mutoscope2.jpg
mutoscope3.jpg
mutoscope4.png
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: The Repair Shop BBC 1

Post by pennymachines »

I like it. Very resourceful. !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

* Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Tonight’s Restorers had yet another machine, but this time something special. I have added under this thread * as I assume this strength tester is made by Matthewson, but is labelled Rowlands of Manchester who earlier was suggested to operate over 800 of their machines.

It was a garden ornament and restored to a pea green……lovely machine !!THUMBSX2!! Apparently going back in the garden :shock: I wonder if the value is realised
Attachments
BBA378F3-CB80-4841-910C-5E07161D89BE.jpeg
B3A00260-7E82-44F8-8EBA-5310EE6E1123.jpeg
BCB0DD0A-66AF-4E55-9373-9449559AE92E.jpeg
E231561B-F8EC-4420-BF53-DB1B87720EC4.jpeg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Yes, saw it tf, great restoration - must weigh a ton. I wonder what happened to the (what looked like) cast iron football game her deceased husband was pictured with.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

What a fantastic idea.........I never thought of putting my machines in the garden :mad:
roger

Post by roger »

Seeing that early Strength Machine in a garden reminded me of one of my own experiences.

Way back in the 1950s I was invited to the home of Ed Zelinsky of San Francisco, California. Ed was one of the pioneer collectors of coin-ops in the United States. He ended up founding a museum which his family runs today known as the Musee Mecanique.

Ed had machines throughout his entire apartment......... Imagine my astonishment when I looked inside one of the bathrooms only to discover a rare "LOVE TESTER" sitting inside an antique bathtub.

ROGER !OMFG!
brigham

Post by brigham »

ONE of the bathrooms?
Some apartment!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

"... to discover a rare "LOVE TESTER" sitting inside an antique bathtub."

An obvious mistake of location. Everyone knows that tester belongs in the bedroom. %|%

J Peterson
Love locator, USA
JC

Post by JC »

assume this strength tester is made by Matthewson, but is labelled Rowlands
Yes, I saw the programme - what an absolutely fantastic find; a beautiful cast iron machine - god, I love cast iron! But it's not Matthewson - cast in relief on the machine is:

THE IMPROVED STRENGTH TESTER MACHINE Co.
47 Cannon Street, London

(not sure if I've got the number right, although they're probably long gone by now ;-) )
Anyone heard of this company?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

moonriver wrote:What a fantastic idea.........I never thought of putting my machines in the garden

That's the last place I would put a cast iron machine !

John T Peterson wrote:An obvious mistake of location. Everyone knows that tester belongs in the bedroom.

Quite right John, a prophylactic dispensing machine should be in the bathroom.
:lol:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Yes, I saw it too. The idea of putting it outside in the garden shook me a bit but weren't many of these old machine left in the open air on seaside piers? Photo is from 'Amusement Machines' by Lynn Pearson.
Attachments
Pier machines.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstory wrote:The idea of putting it outside in the garden shook me a bit but weren't many of these old machine left in the open air on seaside piers?

Yes they were and that is one of the reasons why those that are found/discovered, are often full of rust.
bryans fan

Repair Shop

Post by bryans fan »

Post merged - Site Admin.

Bryan's Elevenses in streamline, crackle finish case, on this afternoon's Repair Shop.

Series 9, Episode 26
Next to arrive at the workshop is Lisa Scott. She’s keen for pinball wizard Geoff Harvey to bring the penny slot machine that was once in her mum’s amusement arcade back to life. Lisa grew up above the arcade, and the noise of busy slot machines evokes lovely childhood memories. The machine was badly damaged during a fire at the arcade many years ago, but Sarah and her mum held on to this one, as it was always earmarked for Sarah. The family used to pat the top for good luck, which she and her children continue to do. However, the machine now needs some luck of its own as it’s in a sorry state – the fire melted the paintwork and colourful back panel, and the internal workings need a total overhaul.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Yes, saw that one bf. Appeared to be not a lot wrong with it other that a good clean didn't cure. Owner said it came from her parent's arcade (named, This Funspot) that was burnt down around 15 years ago. The arcade was in Ingelmells near Skegness (anyone remember it?). One thing that I thought was slightly unusual was that the case, which was a streamline, had a crackle finish. Don't think I have seen a streamline case with crackle finish.
Attachments
Funspot Arcade Ingelmells.jpg