Shefras Extrawin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
chasmon

Shefras Extrawin

Post by chasmon »

Hi there,
I have an Extrawin penny arcade machine which is in need of repair and tlc.
Can anyone help tell me who might be able to refurbish it and bring it back to life?
Thank you.
Last edited by chasmon on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Shefras Extrawin penny arcade machine - Repair needed

Post by badpenny »

Hi Chasmon and welcome.

In order to get an informed reply from the amassed reprobates that hide in the shadows on here, I suggest you …..

* Post photos from every angle inside and out.
* Describe anything you've noticed that may not be obvious in photos (i.e. parts you think should move but don't).
* Give us a clue where you are.
* Plus how far you are prepared to travel to drop it off and collect it after.
* Share piccies of your last holiday.
* Invite us all round for Sunday Roast.

BP !!CHEERS!!
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you badpenny.
I live in Brighton but should be able to get the machine anywhere further than say 80 miles by courier.
Happy to drive if it's within this radius.
The machine is missing its back and is in a sorry state.
The internal back "motherboard" appears riddled with woodworm holes.
The front lever does move and spring back but the "hammer" does not come out.
Guessing it needs a complete service and WD40 everywhere to loosen it up.
Missing keys to unlock front.
I have a few pictures of the front which I will attempt to attach.
I am looking for someone that knows what they are doing to help me.
Thank you
Chasmon
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

pictures attached
Attachments
IMG_1021a.jpg
IMG_1020a.jpg
IMG_1019a.jpg
IMG_1018a.jpg
brianh

Post by brianh »

Hi Chasmon

Looks like a nice machine - have you considered having a go at this yourself? Allwins are generally fairly straightforward and as it's all mechanical there's no worry about electricuting yourself :zapa:

These are my thoughts - others may disagree or have other advice:

Do you have any pics of the inside? That would tell us if all the bits are there and if so it's then a question of, for example, putting a coin in to see if it triggers the ball drop and putting a ball in the various winning and losing holes to see where it ends up and turning the win knob when applicable to see if and how it pays out.

Trial and error and just remember to take copious photos as you go and before you remove any screws or springs etc. as I know from bitter experience that you won't remember where that screw came from or that bit fitted! !PUZZLED! Had a bit left over once :oops:

The 2 things you mentioned:

Woodworm is very common but usually treatable especially if it doesn't show outside. Just soak it with woodworm killer to drown any little buggers that are still alive. The back panel is easily replaced with a suitable piece of plywood.

The ball not being struck could be a number of things. On lots of allwins the hammer doesn't poke out through the hole but ends up flush with it. It relies on the ball sitting against the hole and slightly inside it so that the hammer hits it with enough force to send it on it's way but not too hard. It is possible (as is the case on one I am working on) that the track the ball sits on has mover slightly too low so that the ball doesn't rest against the hole. In that case you would just need to adjust the rail a fraction.
If it's not that, the you would need to have a look at the hammer from the inside to see where it is going and if anything is stopping it.

One other point (sorry if you know these things already!) - the glass usually slides out upwards so that you can access the front of the machine and test putting balls in various holes etc. at the end

This forum is awash with Allwin experts so I would strongly recommend you have a go - always someone to help you if you get stuck and it's a lovely feeling when it all works in the end !!YIPPEE!!
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you brianh,
Your comments are most welcome and appreciated very much.
Unfortunately I lack a workshop and the space to overly tinker with this lovely machine which was why I was reaching out for help.
I am sure with some WD40 and some elbow grease I could get it moving along but I just do not have the space, tools, and time at the moment etc.
Another local member has contacted me and so in the short term I will see how that develops.
Thank you so much again.
I met yet be pestering you in the near future.
Chasmon
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Welcome to the site Chasmon and glad to hear you've found somebody willing to take on the job.
Judging by your pictures, the worm may have eaten the "motherboard" :lol: beyond repair, in which case the hardest task will be accurately recutting and drilling a new sheet of ply so that all the parts work smoothly again upon reassembly. The backflash on these is paper surmounted by clear plastic. It may be possible to disguise the holes in the paper by applying a yellow sheet of paper behind and, if necessary, small pieces of tissue and glue (papier mache) over the holes, retouched with paint. This might be preferable to rescanning and reprinting it. A new plastic cover will also help.

Fortunately the game looks complete and even has original locks (which can be keyed up) so it should come up well.

The rotary bonus pay feature makes the Extrawin an entertaining allwin. They were distributed and sometimes badged by Kraft (not Craft), hence the common misattribution, but were manufactured by Morris Shefras, trading as Amusement Machine Mart.
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you for your tips and advice.
It's nice to also appreciate the heritage of this machine too.
Where might I be able to source the correct key for the door?
I am teaming up with a local member who has a collection of machines and he is prepared to help me.
All advice gratefully received.
Thank you
Chasmon
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You should be able to find locksmiths who can cut suitable keys if you leave the locks with them. There are a couple listed under 'Locksmith' on the Services page, but you may find one more local to you. Alternatively, it's not hard to cut your own for these simple locks. Either way is preferable to replacing original locks.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Just a quick comment about the hammer not protruding.
Often you'll find that's by design, and that there is a layer of rubber under the hole to cushion the shock of it smacking the rail.
So for a fraction of a second it does protrude through the hole as it squashes the bumper but then the rubber reforms and holds it just behind the ball.

If you place your finger where the ball sits and try it you'll discover if that's the case and may astound everyone within ear shot as to your comprehensive vocabulary on the matter.

BP !WHISTLES!
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you both, Pennymachines and badpenny.
Very helpful comments.
Lets see how I get on.
Kind regards
Chasmon
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

I wanted to post a big thank you to the operators of this site for helping with my repair needs for my machine.
In particular I can't thank member 13rebel enough for his dedication and hard work in beautifully restoring my machine whilst keeping its original "integrity.
I could not have achieved this without him.
Thank you all once again.
Chasmon
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's fantastic and thanks Chasmon for letting us know. Well done 13rebel! Now we need some pictures...
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you pennymachines.
No pictures necessary as I would not want to embarrass 13rebel.
Needless to say I am very happy and could not have achieved this without your site and his dedicated knowledgeable and skillful help.
Spin one for me !
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was about to post about an Extrawin for sale today on another post, but realised it was the same as this thread. Main reason for posting, was my annoyance at the auction house not updating the listings on Saleroom and Easyspace on the state of it inside. I noticed the pin holes on the picture and kept asking for pictures, they eventually updated their own website, but not main bidding sites, so I hope the buyer saw these pictures as the worm looks very alive and even worse than 4 years ago, sold for £830 assuming in the room :shock: Who said prices are dropping?
Attachments
EFB00EB2-EE9A-408E-9129-927130768226a.jpg
2AE87933-2A58-43E5-B4CA-8A23C2B30BFDa.jpg
BE61B8B2-03C4-4B28-9F35-735D135F8FEBa.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

:shock: Looks like I’ve got a bit of a job on my hands. :)
Pretty disappointed that info wasn’t available on saleroom. Spoke with them after paying and to be honest was fobbed off with “it’s in the condition report on our site”.
Doesn’t help when you're not bidding on their site but, hey ho, been faced with worse. As a matter of interest Tom at what point was it updated on Gorringes' site?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I honestly don’t know when they updated the site, but I sent messages from saleroom a week ago and in the end sent a message direct. They told me end of last week they shared pictures on their site.

The machine probably had bad woodworm for years as per pictures at beginning of this thread, but is definitely active and worse. Mostly on mechanism board fortunately, so just extra hard work. You could see pin holes on the front, which is why I queried. Whether the artwork should be changed you will be able to judge. The case and top flash looks nice though and not seen the 1D price on the artwork before. !THUMBS! Always fancied one of these. :#:
polaris

Post by polaris »

Thanks Tom, not a big job, more an inconvenience. I’m not a fan of anything with worm. Don’t normally buy anything with it, historic or otherwise. It does appear from pics to be concentrated on the backboard, although a couple holes on the back rail of the cabinet. Will see how bad when it gets here. Will keep me busy.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Still a cheap machine bill in that condition
👍🏻
polaris

Post by polaris »

Hello Bob
Yeah still a nice machine and appears all there. Not really a big job to swap that out. Was happy enough with the price mate. Allwins certainly up there at the minute.