Bryans Hidden Treasure

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
nosmit

Bryans Hidden Treasure

Post by nosmit »

Has anyone come across a Bryans Treasure Machine? It looks identical to a Hidden Treasure. I have just purchased it locked without any keys, so at the moment I am unable to have a close look inside.
Attachments
IMG_0205-2a.jpg
20220308_123250a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Bryans Treasure Machine

Post by treefrog »

Would guess that is just a Hidden Treasure needing lots of love. ❤️
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Interesting, because it appears to be a proper printed Bryans instruction card. Maybe this is a very early example before the full name was adopted. I see 'Hidden Treasure' is cast into the treasure chest itself, so I assume this opens to reveal the contents in the usual way when you turn the key. Can you see a serial number stamped on the case and mechanism?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I agree. Looks like an original Bryan's instruction card. I think the white, typed payout part looks to be a later addition. The more common Hidden Treasure instruction card is printed on a type of embossed thin card.

Great find. It shows there is new stuff out there. Bit of a major project though!
It would be great to retain as much originality as possible. And rather than re case it, repair what is there (in my humble opinion).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

A difficult and hard project, but it might just lead to something a bit special. :cool:
Is it possible there is something written on the card under the added white part? The standard card has the patent numbers and company address?
nosmit

Post by nosmit »

I have started to do a bit of detective work, even though I keep telling myself to finish off other projects first. I have removed the back and the serial number of 190 can be found along with Roman numerals that don't seem to make sense.
I have removed the card that says Treasure Machine to reveal the original Hidden Treasure card. The Treasure machine award card indicates different payout values with no jackpot. Now there is a mystery to be solved here.
Should have left this one in the garage.
Attachments
IMG_0213a.jpg
IMG_0211a.jpg
IMG_0209a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The Roman numerals are indeed odd, "78" doesn't seem to fit in anywhere (date or serial number) and seems like a long-winded way to add the number to the case. :lol:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Does anyone know if Bryans machines that went back to the factory at a later date for repair or refurb got additional numbers added such as this? Would likely suggest a date of 1978? Have seen it done on a few of other makes.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Excellent explanation, Gameswat, although another is the machine was actually made during Roman times and later co-opted by Mr. Bryans.

J Peterson
Ancient historian - very, very old USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

nosmit wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:44 pm I have removed the back and the serial number of 190 can be found...
I'm confused. It looks like 100, not 190, to me. !PUZZLED!
In which case, maybe the full serial number is supposed to be 178. :!?!:

As Bryansfan reminded me, the serial number should also be stamped into the metal frame at the bottom of the mechanism.
gameswat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 pm Does anyone know if Bryans machines that went back to the factory at a later date for repair or refurb got additional numbers added such as this?
According to longobongo:
longbobongo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:38 pm The .0 on any Bryans serial number means it has been back to the factory, most likely for conversion from 1d to 1p.
Although it was applied over a 'Hidden Treasure' card, I still think the 'Treasure Machine' card's an earlier piece of original Bryan's paperwork, because of the name, the absence of a Hidden Treasure payout, and absence of patent claims.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

pennymachines wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:18 pm I'm confused. It looks like 100, not 190, to me. !PUZZLED!
In which case, maybe the full serial number is supposed to be 178
Wow, and I thought it confusing and long-winded just adding the"78" in numerals. Seems to be going a little too far to have both standard numbers and Roman numerals to complete the serial number when simply adding a "C" to the numerals would have done the job, but then again we do know William liked a good "in" joke. :lol:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Are there numbers stamped elsewhere on the interior metal frame? If so, they should provide the production number of the game. I think the most reasonable answer to the numbers we see is the game is number 10 and was sent back for repair in 1978.

Next analysis?

J Peterson
By the numbers in America
nosmit

Post by nosmit »

I have found the number 190 stamped on the frame and painted albeit faintly on the outside of the back panel. The machine is absolutely stuffed with old pennies and has been stored since decimalisation, so I doubt Bryans did any work on it in 1978. I will try and get the mech out over the weekend to see if there are any more clues.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

nosmit wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:51 pm The machine is absolutely stuffed with old pennies and has been stored since decimalisation, so I doubt Bryans did any work on it in 1978.
So are you saying you have conclusive proof it was stored since 1971 or before, or that because it's still on Pennies is has to have been? Because not only operators sent machines back for repair/refurb but collectors too, who obviously did not want to decimalise.

I often use this exact same way of marking with roman numerals, using the closest tool at hand which is a flat head screwdriver, quicker than getting my number punches out and messing with those. I use this to mark the location of multiple similar parts, so they go back to the same place, otherwise accumulated wear and tear can cause all sorts of odd issues. Plus original parts were hand fitted back then due to manufacturing and casting differences, so important they stay there.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Interesting that one award card says “ Turn Key One Revolution Slowly” and the other “Turn Key Two Half Revolutions to Right”. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Bryan’s Hidden Treasure serial number

Post by treefrog »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Another machine stuck away: a Bryan’s Hidden Treasure. I bought this at the EH about 8 years ago and hid it away as bits were not attached and it was not working, given I paid a lot for it I was a little annoyed with myself… Time heels and as it turned out it was complete, just needed to lubricate the piston, which had detached and reattach the coin arm. Also enabled the jackpot and skill button which were disabled and found an original working Yale key for the lock… All cleaned up and it has come up really nice with great chrome and paint.

IMG_20240124_203146707.jpeg
IMG_20240124_203146707.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 429 times

IMG_20240124_203124547.jpeg
IMG_20240124_203124547.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 429 times

Something is a little confusing: the serial number is 143, written on cabinet, mech and cabinet parts, but what confuses me is the roman numerals which do not reflect the serial number… Any idea what this means? !PUZZLED!

IMG_20240124_203100604.jpeg
IMG_20240124_203100604.jpeg (565.39 KiB) Viewed 429 times

treefrog

Re: Bryan’s Hidden Treasure serial number

Post by treefrog »

treefrog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:57 pmSomething is a little confusing, the serial number is 143, written on cabinet, mech and cabinet parts, but what confuses me is the roman numerals which do not reflect the serial number……any idea what this means
Well I have found* another member had the same query on serial numbers two years ago and no conclusion seems to have been found :#:

*Now merged - Site Admin.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryans Hidden Treasure

Post by pennymachines »

Looking good. !!THUMBSX2!!

There are some deflector springs (for want of a better word) near the upper ends of the key rods which cause them to bounce back at the end of their strokes. It looks like they need adjusting so the keys don't all march in lock step. See video:

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting mr pm, I did wonder how they separate properly and assumed the rubber stops at the bottom left and right helped. I can see no deflectors/springs at the top of the rods. I did look on the paper guide on the door and could see nothing……..any piccies or more guidance !PUZZLED!
Attachments
hidden treasure.jpeg
hidden treasure.jpeg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 368 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Now I'm thinking I hallucinated that gizmo, unless it's on the Tick Tock. :o