Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
peacock

Chrome spray paint

Post by peacock »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Has anyone used chrome spray paint? I've got a Grand Duchess I'm restoring and the front is chrome. Unfortunately, mine is so pitted that it's beyond saving. Had a quote, but it was over 200 quid, so I thought I'd try the spray. Any thoughts?
Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Chrome spray paint

Post by badpenny »

If you stick chrome + paint into search top right hand corner of this page you will see over 300 posts where the words have been used together. However they won't all be relevant, so here's my two pennyworth on the matter.
Even the best of the most expensive chrome paints will never satisfy.
The very fact you mention pitting is a problem. To get a shiny surface absolute smoothness is essential otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Plus every supposed Chrome Type paint looks just like what it is ... Silvery Paint.
Part of the problem is that with chrome you're not seeing the shine on the surface, but the polished nickel coating under the hard protective shield of chrome which is on the top. That's why you get a depth of shine.
It will always look a cheap version.

Strip it back to bare metal, fill any pitting, undercoat and finish with an expensive rattley can of metal fleck colour, then top over with a lacquer finish. Buy yourself a new scarf and change your underwear every month, even when not necessary. That way you'll have the satisfaction of knowing not only did you do your best to save it, you also started wearing underpants at a late age. Learn to toss your scarf in a nonchalant manner.

BP :cool:
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Unlike Chrome Paint, scarves may not be cut corners with.
peacock

Post by peacock »

Thanks for the advice. I'll put a scarf on my Christmas list.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's true what BP says, chrome paints don't do the job correctly, but they do a job of sorts on a machine that, perhaps, can't be rubbed down or re-chromed. Even then, you might not be happy with the result, so test first. You can improve the end result with a lot of work and following these tips:
Buy the best chrome paint (Rustolium),
Rub down and fill the casting (not easy but possible),
Apply a matt white coat first,
Spay the chrome in many very thin coats, letting them go tacky between coats,
Once dry apply thin coats of clear gloss top coat (Rustolium). This adds some depth and protects the spray chrome (which tends to be a delicate finish).

It's not chrome, but it can look good, with a lot of work. :cool:

And don't forget, as BP says, "toss your scarf in a nonchalant manner" but in private please (BP always forgets to mention that part). :shock:
peacock

Post by peacock »

Once again thanks for info. By the way, I received my reel strips that you kindly done for me and I must say what a great job you have done, With energy prices the way they're going I think we will all be wearing scarfs in private.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

peacock wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:19 pmI received my reel strips that you kindly done for me and I must say what a great job you have done
Thank you !THUMBS!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

A friend of mine had a mirror finish wrap on his car and WOW did it look good. It is dipped in a bath with film floating on top. So long is there are not too many contours, it looks like chrome and a MUCH better finish than chrome paint!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem with wraps is they are not very hard wearing and most people putting them on cars is a short fashion statement. Probably ok for a collector to stick in a corner of a room I guess. I wonder how central heating affects it. :shock:
tallstory

Re: Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Post by tallstory »

Has anyone had success with chrome powder coating? It looks like a good finish but I wonder how durable (and expensive) it is.
grains

Post by grains »

I have had a few pieces chrome powder coated and the results can be very good but the surface of the casting / metal needs to be very smooth before powder coating to achieve the best effect from the finish. If there is any pitting or a rough surface is left from blasting then it just looks like the chrome powder paint is bubbling from underneath.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It would be cool to see !!PHOTO!! , grains.
grains

Post by grains »

No problem pennymachines I am due to visit the powder coaters next week and will take a few photos.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Have been powder coating coin trays and castings for the past few years and the results are great. As mentioned earlier by someone, the surface must be smooth and well prepared. Also the quality of the chrome powder is important. It is very hard wearing. The makers of the chrome powder recommend the coatings are covered in clear coat/laquer to protect, however, this affects the depth of the mirror finish. I've been tempted to do an entire Jennings casting but until I get a spare one this will have to wait.
I've also used chrome wrapping as used on cars. This is super strong, but very difficult to do unless you're an experienced car wrap pro (which I'm not!). Remember these wraps have a 3-5 year life fitted to a car that withstands out door weathers all year, rain, freezing and very hot summers where car bonnets can reach very high temps! Having this stuff on a little old slot machine in the front room it'll outlast me!!!!
pauljt71

Re-chroming price hike

Post by pauljt71 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I am in the middle of restoring my latest 3 ball win (see pic) and today took all of the door chrome to the usual re-chromer.

Expecting to pay a bit more than the last time I visited I had to sit down when the bill came to £378. They have had to add a 15% surcharge for increased energy costs, understandable but unwelcome. This increased cost to chroming leads me to wonder if we are in for yet higher prices of restored machines entering the market in the coming months……….

Chrome price was for the flicker, handle, two top door corners, the main bottom section and a pair of hinges.
16274970-70AE-42CE-9257-A5CAAC4E3EBC.jpeg
16274970-70AE-42CE-9257-A5CAAC4E3EBC.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 746 times

treefrog

Re: Re-chroming price hike

Post by treefrog »

Or save your money and leave original with its use history……your chrome did not look terrible, I have only re chromed once……never again from bad experience, but then I don’t like the new look, so yes if you do want shiny you will have to pay more and maybe not see a return on your investment :o

I am still planning to try my own at some point, maybe with once of the hi finish nickel plate kits, as have a pile of stuff to test with low risk…
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

No need for a fancy kit, just have a look at this video.

It works well for me and he is amusing.
special when lit

Re: Re chroming Price Hike

Post by special when lit »

I want to give this a go.
Seems quite doable, & I've got a few bits to do that would look out of place if re-chromed.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

treefrog wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:30 pm Or save your money and leave original with its use history……your chrome did not look terrible
I agree original looks nice, however when it’s rusty and sharp and the public are using it, I have to rechrome. The picture does not really show the true extent of the rust :-(
6BE7CA35-BCD6-42C1-959E-3254DE0776C8.jpeg
6BE7CA35-BCD6-42C1-959E-3254DE0776C8.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 727 times

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Great video, I have to admit I was seriously considering buying one of those expensive kits, but maybe doing this would be fun and does not look dangerous apart from the acid. The nickel finish looks dull though. No idea if a brightening agent can be used.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

A clear gloss spray might do it tom :!?!: