Shoot the Bandits, Beat the Goalie, Whoosh, etc.

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
chief engineer

Shoot the Bandits, Beat the Goalie, Whoosh, etc.

Post by chief engineer »

As a very new member to the Penny Machines forum I thought I would share and also see if any one has any further info on a wall mounted penny machine I was given around 15/20 years ago. (Apologies for the poor pictures, I stored this machine up in my parents loft and was struggling without a torch to take the pictures in the dark).

I am thinking mid to late '60s, with its Formica case. Play is priced at 1np but the payout tube has the usual sleeve reducer inserted from the old 1d. I have seen similar wall machines which utilised GPO style relays but when comparing the wiring, this machine is a little poor in the neatness of the harness and the PVC colours and terminal blocks do look slightly modern. No name tag what so ever, although it looks a little home made, the glass is a proper screen print. I have never even plugged it in, but would love to find out its origins.

The percentage payout was certainly set in the operator's favour!

CE
Attachments
shootthebanditsffza.jpg
stbbackboxza.jpg
stbbb2za.jpg
stbdoorza.jpg
stbperctswtz.ajpg.jpg
13rebel

Re: One from the loft

Post by 13rebel »

Great artwork on that machine. Possibly distributed (but not made?) by Golding Automatics of Colchester, Essex. 66% payout is about the norm for this type of machine but 50% is mean!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Nice rare machine.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Don't know anything about it, but it's a cool looking machine.
ffrank

Beat the Goalie wall machine

Post by ffrank »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
I'm a pinball collector and new to this type of machine. Can you help me identify it?
Frank.
Attachments
BeatTheGoalie.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Beat The Goalie wall machine

Post by pennymachines »

I've not seen this one before. The Wondermatics '1D' coin slot is not original to the machine. We can be fairly certain it's not by that company, but I'm not sure who made these 1960s electromechanical 'flashers'. Anyone know? Here are some others which appear to be from the same stable:

Whoosh

whoosh.jpg

Two of a Kind

2ofakind.jpg

Greyhound Stadium

Double Up

Lucky Bells

JC

Re: Beat the Goalie wall machine

Post by JC »

Hasn't it been fairly well established that they are by Golding Automatics?
brigham

Post by brigham »

Mine clearly states 'Golding Automatics', but it could be the distributor's name.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Golding Automatic was my first thought, because of similarities to the other games associated with that company: Jugola, Rouletto, Bandito and Orbito.

4-Goldings.jpg

But... all of these have a slot at the top centre and a rotating wheel. The 'owner's manual' for them is headed: 'Golding Automatics Ltd. 37, London Road, Marks Tey, Essex'. In the little image of Golding's trade stand at ATE 1962, I think I can just make out the Rouletto and Jugola, but no 'flashers'.

ATE-Golding.jpg

And to throw further doubt on the matter, our sometime slot history sleuth, Slotalot had this to say:
slotalot wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:29 pm I did try to contact the descendants of the people who ran Golding Automatics with the intention of adding a Golding page to my website. Unfortunately they were not very interested in looking back to the "good old days". One thing they did say was as far as they know Golding never made any machines themselves, which I thought was a little strange. !PUZZLED!
I think they were mainly agents/distributors ?? the Golding machines must have been made for them by a third party. As Treefrog says, they moved into audio equipment in the 1970s.

Brigham's machine has the Golding badge and so, apparently, does Shoot the Bandits (above), which is clearly a sister machine of Beat the Goalie.
ffrank

Post by ffrank »

It's a minter inside - wiring etc. compared to mine, but mine does work, not always properly. I have another with partial components inside, same as the other - been used for spares probably. However, I am very gratefull to see the pictures and will learn a lot about mine from these pics. !!IDEA!!

Thanks also for service info. Was a bit !PUZZLED!
ffrank.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Shoot the Bandits, Beat the Goalie etc.

Post by pennymachines »

Apologies for my rambling post. In short, on present evidence, your game was probably sold by Golding Automatics Ltd. and either built by them or for them by an un-named company.

The fogginess is because, for various reasons, some manufacturers did not put their name to their products.
ronnie63

Whoosh electro machine?

Post by ronnie63 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Picked this up at a local auction, described as locked no keys not working! Had to drill the lock to find the key inside! All looked complete clearly working on 1p coins but should be 3d coins I think, The big multi plug thing was hanging out, upon plugging it in the machine worked apart from a few bulbs need replacing.

This should tidy up nicely, the edge moulding is hanging off so needs removed and re bonded on, I need to sort the coin chute as coins (1p) are sticking in the slide. I need to decide on which coins I want it to take, open to suggestions? Thrupenny bits? I don't have any lol. Oh and the cash box is missing! replaced with a cardboard box.

Anyone know any info about this machine? Who made it and when? I seen another thread on here that shows a pic of one of these in white, other than that I found nothing!

Thanks Ronnie
Attachments
IMG_1472a.jpg
IMG_1475a.jpg
IMG_1474a.jpg
IMG_1473a.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Whoosh electro machine?

Post by aristomatic »

Nice Find!
You won't find much online as they weren't around long... and then they were gone.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

As in Whoosh they were gone lol
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was the other bidder on that and decided not to risk, my niece lives 300m from the auction house which was the only reason to have a go. I sold a couple of Golding machines 18months ago as I am clueless on these types of machine. Main thing that puts me off is the colour, Goldings normally used nice bright colours rather than brown wood formica and orange….anyway was cheap enough

You will see another on this thread (Merged above - Site Admin.)
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:20 pm ….anyway was cheap enough
Lol I paid more than I planned. I set £15 under what it went for, only 9 miles from me and not often stuff comes up round here! Yes the colours are dull but I remember lots of others similar such as Cascade etc.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Anyone know the bulb type for these? I'm reading 9 volts to the socket, screw in type, I have some but 47 volts!

Thanks Ronnie
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Shoot the Bandits, Beat the Goalie, Whoosh, etc.

Post by pennymachines »

9v sounds plausible, and I suspect your game was originally on the old penny. The hopper looks like it's been sleeved to take the new penny.
treefrog

Re: Shoot the Bandits, Beat the Goalie, Whoosh, etc.

Post by treefrog »

Here is a few other similar machines. This one sold the other day for £107 on eBay: Pools Perm

IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0446.jpeg (485.17 KiB) Viewed 165 times

IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0447.jpeg (346.96 KiB) Viewed 165 times

And a couple I sold a few years back: Place the Ace and Greyhound Stadium.

IMG_20200615_160340996_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20200615_160340996_HDR.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 165 times