Cottees Auction of coin operated machines

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
mr merrivale

Re: Cottees Auction of coin operated Machines

Post by mr merrivale »

Confused - the catalogue states 21.6% buyers.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Seems clear to me, copied from Cottees website: :D
Attachments
692EA133-FF38-4629-9970-9A9611F416CBa.jpg
paul

Post by paul »

Yes this auction has been talked about (or planned) since they last had a few slots for sale during lockdown (10% fees). I was talking a while ago to a gentleman loosely connected to them and they were toying with the idea of regular auctions, so guys it's up to you whether it succeeds or not. My own personal opinion is that it's got to be better than online auctions, but then I am still living in the past according to my wife. By the way, for bandit collectors, some really nice ones entered.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

The commission charges are very misleading.
If you look at individual machines on their catalog it says 21.6% and 25.2% depending how you bid.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

paul wrote:My own personal opinion is that it's got to be better than online auctions
I would agree paul, there is no better way to assess a machine than by carefully looking at it 'in the flesh' inside and out, but as you say this is a personal opinion and there are many happy to bid on line. Would be interesting if this auction house did have regular machine sales.
cottees

Post by cottees »

For collections or deliveries of arcade machines please contact Alan on 07711410079 or email: amicuscouriers@hotmail.com
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hi Cottees

Can you confirm any reserves are at least at the lowest estimate or below? Many thanks.

I see some more interesting items added today, including the Matthewsons Football game from Spicers auction earlier in the year, adding to a few others from that auction. They certainly move around.

Looking good so far !THUMBS!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Those commission fees seem to be all over the place. Also only one day to view. That’s a pain because I’m there a few days beforehand. Should be an interesting auction though.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Commissions are clear. They have also updated listings as well, as they must have be a default setting. One day viewing is common with auction houses, but I agree perhaps Cottees could have started the auction at 11 or even 12, given the distance many will travel on the day and open at 9 for viewing on the day of the auction. Not everyone can afford staying the night before. Also there are not 600 lots to go through (unless loads are dropped in at the last minute), so starting later would have made sense, as even a 1pm start, it would be finished by 3.. For me to get there for 9, would mean leaving at 5 in the morning. :shock:

Another odd one, whoever created the listings has not included standard keywords like “one arm band” or “slot machine”. As such, most will be missed by saved searches and people looking. Good for the buyers who are aware of course. :lol:
cottees

Post by cottees »

Thank you for your comments. We have taken your point into consideration and we are now starting the coin operated machines at 11.30am on 2nd July 2022 at lot 1.

For anyone wishing to view between now and the auction, just give us a call to arrange a viewing and we would be more than happy to accommodate.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

!!THUMBSX2!! Excellent !!CHEERS!! , I assume you can view when you open on the day…
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

treefrog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:38 pm Hi Cottees

Can you confirm any reserves are at least at the lowest estimate or below? Many thanks.
!PUZZLED! have I missed the response?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha, yes, to be fair I was not expecting a response, but without kicking Cottees too much, I can only but applaud for them for the fact they are supporting a collectors sale with sensible % rates. Long may this last and also that they are open to listening to feedback !THUMBS!

You are not not going to please everyone, eg location of auctions, opening days etc……but first on-site slotty sale for a while……think I may have a long drive ahead :cool:

Trouble is I was pondering coming to your place up north the next day for the collectors meet, although…. dirtdog

On the topic of reserves and estimates, very recently a slot machine at a local auction sale sold for double its high end estimate. It was listed again in their next sale. I asked a few questions as missed the first listing, but also asked why it was back in auction. They told me it never reached reserve ;-) ………as such makes you wonder :tut
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As a rule, reserves are agreed between vendor and auctioneer and are confidential. Generally, I believe, the reserve will not be more than 10% above the lower guide price in these types of auctions. Sometimes it's lower, or there is no reserve and a low bid can be accepted at the auctioneer's discretion.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure where you got that, from my experience it is either at the lower estimate or one bid below……..it is false representation to suggest estimates way below the reserve. As there are no fix price for antiques, you should not falsely give an impression you can get something you will never win
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

You're very welcome to come up and visit for the collectors meeting Tom!
Nearby Premier Inn is cheap at the moment for the Sunday night, and let me know if you would like to come with us on our post collectors meeting meal at Vintage Inn.

My tongue in cheek assessment of Cottees auction location being, it's typically at the other end of the Country from me!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:45 pm Not sure where you got that...
I don't know either. Talking rubbish again. Maybe thinking of property auctions where:
Auction House.co.uk wrote:For a single figure guide price, the reserve cannot be more than 10% above the guide
I should have said, the reserve is likely to be within 10% of the lower estimate. The lower estimate tends to reflect the reserve and (unless there's a firm reserve) the auctioneer has discretion to let the item go for 10% below it. The important point, as you say Tom, is that the reserve should never be higher than the low estimate.
Sotheby's wrote:Reserve or Reserve Price

Never formally disclosed, the reserve price is the confidential minimum price agreed upon between the consignor and the auction house. Reserves must be set at or below the low estimate, and if bidding ends before the reserve is reached, the property will not be sold.
rogersjones.co.uk wrote:Items with Reserve prices will, if necessary, be sold with a 10% discretion.
Stride & Son Auctioneers wrote:Reserves:

Where an estimate is given we will offer the lot with ‘Auctioneers Discretion’ on the lower estimate unless otherwise agreed. ‘Auctioneers Discretion’ allows the auctioneer to sell the lot for up to 10% less than the lower estimate. The reserve cannot be higher than the lower estimate.
Can't help observing that some of the recycled Spicers machines risk significant losses based upon the estimates.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I attend kempton antique fair Tuesday and drove down to Poole ftom there it was a 2 hour drive. I walked in the auction and knowones asked me who I was or what I was doing ,the machines and signs were scattered everywhere by a door open and knowone about. I didn’t trust it these are other peoples expensive items please be aware
I had 10 machines in the van to put in. But I got back in the van as and drove a 4 1/2 hour trek home. I thought if they don’t sell it’s a long way to go to pick up too
So am out. I’ll wait for a middle of the country sale be
Fair for everyone then
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny, I went to collect a machine from a large auction house out West a few months ago, brand new large warehouse and I could find no one, was totally open and all the sold lots were open to the car park :HaHa: ……..eventually I patiently got someone’s attention from another area, but could have filled the van. I believe your lots are covered by auctioneer before sale and once paid for after auction, down to buyer to cover insurance usually…

On the lots listed today and maybe an error, but the most expensive BMR Embassy Stainless Steel cigarette vendor has been listed with an estimate from £2200 to £4200…….I wouldn’t buy one for £100 :lol:
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

You can not knock this auction for the massive effort for a live auction. Its the only way to sell. I wish them all the best 👍👍👍