Six Feet Under

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
roger

Six Feet Under

Post by roger »

dead.jpg

I have long assumed that all the coinop collectors of my era have long since joined that penny arcade in the heavens. Apparently not... I just received a note from a collector to whom I sold an English machine years ago.
He describes it as electro-mechanical with rotating silver colored cylinders. Apparently, the cyliners held some kind of prize for a lucky winner. It operated on the old English penny... He sold the machine some time ago and did not save a picture.
Classic case of seller's remorse as he wants to find another one.
Any idea what he is describing??? ROGER
brigham

Re: Six Feet Under

Post by brigham »

Ahrens "Pile Driver", at a guess.
roger

Post by roger »

pile-drivera.jpg

Thanks brigham..... DEAD ON...........
Any idea where my friend can get one ??? ROGER
roger

Post by roger »

My friend finally found a "Pile Driver" for which he sprang to the tune of $3800.00
Seems a bit steep to me but you know what those crazy Ameericans do with their money.
One of those crazy Yankees,, ROGER
Attachments
images0.persgroep.jpg
images0.persgroep.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 641 times
JC

Post by JC »

Seems a bit steep to me....
Depending on condition, $3800 sounds a bit cheap to me - in real money /\UK/\ , that's around three grand.
I know of two and possibly a third but there can't be many more over here. So if we double that and say six, and assume there are the same amount scattered around the rest of the world, it's a pretty rare machine. I'd certainly jump at the chance to pay £3000 for one, if I had the space.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Roger should not be taken too seriously
roger

Smile for the camera...

Post by roger »

grump.jpg
grump.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 640 times

Moonriver is right....You can't take me too seriously....
I've always been into Coin-ops for the fun and games. Although I am one of the pioneers in the hobby, I am virtually unknown to that gang of dealers and experts in America.
I have never invested any serious money in coin-op machines preferring the world of stocks and bonds where I believe I have a decided edge.
I doubt that I paid more than $100 for my English tube machine which was part of a container of other assorted coin-ops. Admittedly, that was many years ago.
My $3800.00 estimate for the PILE DRIVER might seem low but English coin-ops have never commanded high prices in the U.S. especially large floor models.
I have owned a great many machines over the years and the gains have been tremendous especially machines purchased prior to 1990.

Given today's lofty prices I don't believe that these gains will be duplicated in the next decade. ROGER
roger

White Elephant

Post by roger »

white-elephant-featured.jpg
white-elephant-featured.jpg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 817 times

I just thought of another English machine I purchased in a group which reminds me of the cylinder machine. I bought 2 of them and haven't seen another in forty years. I know they were English as they operated on the old English penny and 120 volts.

They were large floor models with a rotating flat platform....The platform held numerous prizes. At the conclusion of the spin, an arm with finger extended, would sweep thru the pile of prizes. Occasionally, a prize would be swept to a payoff hole.

Somehow the name "Magic Finger" comes to mind.... I have googled this name and nothing shows up. I had a tough time unloading these white elephants.

Please help to identify these machines and PLEASE, moonriver, JC, brigham ----- don't tell me they are worth a fortune.
ROGER
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

My first thought is Clutching hand made by Hawtins. :!?!:

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/Lot ... yid=483554
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: White Elephant

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 pm Somehow the name "Magic Finger" comes to mind.... I have googled this name and nothing shows up.
Forget Google - search this site. Mutoscope made a game called Magic Finger. American, of course, but otherwise matches your description - and seems they were operated here. Patented by Margolith Mordicha, no less, in 1933, for the National Merchandising Co. Ltd. Patent US686744A

It is much the same in principle as Alfred Leonard Walton's Waltonian Merchandiser. That is to say, the object is to push a prize off the rotating round table.

A Waltonian Merchandiser sold a few days ago for the princely sum of £180

Exhibit Supply and Bonzini & Sopransi made versions of the Rotary Merchandiser.

The aforementioned Hawtins Clutching Hand is the Rolls Royce of these games, but it has more in common with the diggers, because it does not push, but grabs the prize. Walton also made a grabbing rotary crane merchandiser, as did Mutoscope with their Rotomatic Crane.
Attachments
Rotomatic.jpg
Rotomatic.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 638 times
roger

WORLD GONE MAD

Post by roger »

SO WHAT IS IT WORTH $ 170 or $ 25,000 ??? Surely, the Morphy price is an error.
I sold mine for around $ 300.00..........................................................ROGER
p.s. I could not find an appropriate "throw up picture".
brigham

Post by brigham »

Magic Fingers was a vibrating massage device sometimes seen in motel (sic) bedrooms.
I presume it was coin-operated.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: White Elephant

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 pm Somehow the name "Magic Finger" comes to mind...
Was it the Mutoscope Magic Finger, as described and pictured?
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks Mr. P for identifying my "Magic Finger"... As usual, you were right on target.
At first I was a bit confused with the bright and shiny pictures. I prefer machines that look their age. Mine looked like they barely escaped the Blitz. However. the close up picture of the hand was the real clincher.

Again, would you comment on that $25,000 machine. Did they lock up all the underbidders or was the winner the only one sent off to the Loony Bin?
On the other end of the spectrum we have the Waltonian Merchandiser which sold for 180 pounds - scrap value.............CRAZY HOBBY.................... ROGER
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Both ends of the spectrum for sure, but not unfathomable.
The Hawtins is rarer, more attractive, interesting and therefore more desirable than the Walton. We've discussed before how, despite being a classic piece of British arcadia, the standard Merchandiser is hard to give away. It's a monster to transport, and domestic floor space is a precious commodity in the UK. There are few Hawtins Hand Grabs dotted around the UK, but none of them in collector's homes, as far as I know.

I suspect if the Hawtins had sold in Scarborough, UK and the Walton in Denver, USA, the price disparity would have been unremarkable. I'm sure a few British collectors would have competed for the chance to have their front doors widened and partition walls removed to make way for a Clutching Hand, but not to the tune of $25,000. Of course, it's not unheard of for collectors on your side of the pond to bid here... But generally, Morphy's attracts American collectors, some of whom have deeper pockets than all UK collectors put together!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Magic Finger I came across
Attachments
Magic-Finger.jpg
Magic-Finger.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 517 times
roger

Re: Coo-coo

Post by roger »

While we are on the subject of crazy prices, I am reminded of the "Madame Zita" fortune teller that sold at a Morphy auction for an astounding $ 210,000.00...........

Seems like the picture won't show up..... Please Mr. P............HELP !!!!!

Added below - Site Admin.

zita1.jpg
zita1.jpg (73.46 KiB) Viewed 370 times

I have owned three of these machines over my years of collecting and never paid more than $3500.00...... a similar machine is described in a post by jailtime dated 7/11/18 and titled "English Exports".

I snagged this one (pictured below) for the pricely sum of $ 300.00 or close to it. I am still suffering from three selling remorses....
my zita.jpg
my zita.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 506 times

Surely, I am not alone...... Please post your own "tales of woe" as Misery Loves Company.
ROGER
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Are you intending to go through the whole of Morphys back catalogue Roger? :!?!:
roger

Post by roger »

In reply to moonriver, I am sure that Mr. P, in all his wisdom, will be able to replicate a picture of the $210,000 machine which I have not been able to achieve.
In the meantime, you can view it online by googling Roovers Brother Madam Zita as posted by Paul Fraser or view the Morphy Auction site and view all the items in that sale........... ROGER
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

:lol: you missed my point Roger