No Thanks

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: No Thanks

Post by pennymachines »

tim575 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:27 pm They do need to be operated frequently. I left mine sit too long without play and now I need to work on it.
That confirms what I suspected. Far less complicated slot machines 'forget how to work' when not played frequently.
I've only seen one Paces Races come up for sale in the UK (many years ago), although I know some brave British collectors have imported them.

Although European, and particularly British games, are my passion, there's a small bunch of American machines I covet. Top would probably be the Caille all-mechanical Roulette (counter-top version - because small is good), the counter-top dice games (especially the Mills), some of the Rockola pinballs, and the Rockola two-player Baseball (as per Roger's post). Paces Races was quite an amazing achievement for its time. It's size, weight and complexity are intimating.
roger

Post by roger »

THANKS one and all for contributing to my post with such valuable information about my favorite machines.
It never occurred to me that some did not receive wide distribution in England.

I would also like to thank the three individuals who contacted me with personal messages concerning what they referred to as the "Enima Machine".

I'll leave you with one slightly off-topic..........What do you call a sleep walking nun ?........ A "roamin Catholic".
ROGER
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

roger wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:50 pm It never occurred to me that some did not receive wide distribution in England.
Of those I listed, the only ones I know were operated here in number were the Rockola pins. The Paces Races sold in the UK by Christie's came from a Swiss collection.
roger

Post by roger »

lift-o-graph.jpg

Mutoscope Lift-o-Graph

First, some picker wanted to sell me a machine which would have required housing in an airplane hanger....
Now, another dealer has offered me a weight lift monkey machine as pictured. Apparently, he does not know that I am on a first name basis with my hernia surgeon.
Note the resemblance to the English 2 player Monkey Climb.
ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

he does not know that I am on a first name basis with my hernia surgeon
and that's only getting it through the door! :NBG:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

roger

Re: THANKS to Mr.P

Post by roger »

Mr. P. did it again with 2 great videos of the Paces Races and Rockola World Series.

Cheers and a big Ta...........ROGER !!CHEERS!!
roger

Post by roger »

appolo.png

My hernia doctor has requested referrals...........ROGER
Attachments
duble hernia.jpg
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

pennymachines wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:32 pm The Paces Races sold in the UK by Christie's came from a Swiss collection.
Hi pennymachines.
I bought the 1937 Paces Races at Christies. I still have it and works flawlessly. Could you tell me anymore about the Swiss collection it came from?
Thanks Nigel
Attachments
races_01.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Nigel,
It looks splendid and good to hear it's still functioning well. Did you have to work on it when you purchased it?

I recall chatting to you about it a few years ago (in the cafe down the road from the Elephant House). I also remember speaking to you when you bought it all those years ago... I'm not sure, but think it might have been one of the auctioneers who mentioned that the machines had come from Switzerland. No mention of this in the catalogue?
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Hi Penny machines
Yes, I remember that chat now. Think I was with Roger Bates at the time. It was working when I bought it. All the vacumn lines had been replaced, however there was a leak in one of the coin sensing bellows which meant that one horse didn't pay off if it won, also cranksahft was out of true due to previous jams on machine. The rubber shock absorbers at the end of the rachet rails all needed replacing too. Someone spent a lot of time retubing it as well as fitting new cloth to the bellows.
All works great now!
roger

Post by roger »

Mr P. showed an operational PACES RACES in this posting....very entertaining.
A few days ago there was a Morphy auction in which a Bally Ray's Track Horse Race was featured as item#3153.
Both machines look very similar.
Perhaps some member will explain the differences between the Bally machine and the Paces Races.
ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The Bally "Rays Track" was an attempt to cash in on the success of "Paces Races" (the pace came out in 1934 I think the Bally 1937), although very similar in play they are VERY different in construction. The original Pace was 95% air vacuum driven (even the payouts and odds settings) the Bally was 95% electronic. It is much more like the last of the Pace machines made by Evens who may have copied the Bally electronics. The Bally machine runs smoother and has a high-quality cabinet but nothing like the quality of the Pace machines. One interesting thing on the Bally, it had a completely hidden payout tray (the law was a bit stiff on gambling at the time). the wins are paid into a hidden draw, the player needs to push one side of the draw to make the opposite side open and reveal the coins.
roger

Post by roger »

tower plus.png

I could not turn down a bargain package deal.....So, what happened to my kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom ???

I sleep on my living room couch, bathe in the kitchen sink, use the toilet at the local gas station and my pop-corn
machine serves all my cooking needs. ROGER
roger

Post by roger »

SORRY....It's the new medicine I"m taking......... ROGER
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

That's one heck of a fancy Senior Living place in which you reside, Roger. Make sure you empty the coin boxes each night; not all the seniors can be trusted.

J Peterson
Semi-senior, USA
roger

Post by roger »

images.jpg
images.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 5124 times

Thank you for all your e-mails which have helped me get thru my difficult transition ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

your legs look a bit pale :o
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:
roger

Post by roger »

Bathtub Large.jpg

Coppinpr wrote that my legs look pale-----
Look closer as my cute neighbor is hidden behind the TV and those are her bowlegs.
Still, not bad for a 95 year old. ROGER