Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Post by gameswat »

Hey guys - just bought this cute coin shoot Allwin, don't have it on me yet but from the nice quality and trim I'm thinking very likely BMCo "Shooting The Moon"? Anybody else have one or any info? If it is BMCo then it would've had a marquee that I'd like to restore. Cheers.
Attachments
moon allwin face.jpg
moon allwin.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Post by pennymachines »

How's this one progressing? As you say, it has to be BM Co. I just found this image of a double loop The Way to the Moon from one of the AA Co. auctions - also believed to be BM Co.
Attachments
ShoottheMoon.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Pennymachines, thanks for that pic. Been meaning to post about this for weeks. The machine arrived a little while ago from NZ and is in nice overall condition. The shipping and packing cost me more that it should've as the postage company sent the door and cabinet in separate boxes. Still, no damage which is always a chance when you trust someone else to pack. I've seen many pieces that have survived forever to be ruined by poor eBay sellers, luckily other peoples that are brought to me for repair! On first inspection I'd thought that the lack of a thumb plate and any nickel plating on the castings meant it was certainly not BMCO. But that really cool Way To the Moon looks the same as mine. So my faith is restored. I found a pic of another similar BMCO that is probably called "Shoot The Moon", since in my game you actually want to shoot the stars, not the moon which loses the penny. (pic attached) I've been too busy to spend much time on it but did replace the two locks with nice old original examples. And also spent some time repairing a few probs. I'm still yet to figure out how to make the coin fire correctly as it barely makes it half way around usually. The playfield has had minor retouching from coin wear to the paint, I'll repair this later. Cabinet has been nicely stripped but the back was left untouched and shows about 8 layers of different colour paint, so this game has had a hell of a life. Seller told me he bought it in Australia about 12 years ago and shipped to NZ. Will post some pics soon.
Attachments
bmcdg3.jpg
bmcdg3.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

This is one of my old machines. I presumed it was called Shoot the Moon. I also used to have a Shoot the Stars which is different to yours. I will try and post a pic if I can find one.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes I have one of these but it vends a prize. Can't remember if it drops a coin too. It's tucked away at the moment
I have a Bryan's Rockets that does both - pays a prize and gives you cash too, but I forgot to look at BM Co. and whether they worked off a similar idea.
Here's a picture of mine. It's of the larger allwin.
Attachments
PICT5361.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I had a large BMCo prize machine that was similiar to this but with cups, it would payout whatever you placed inside the compartments, so you could vend anything up to a large size cig packet and or coins if you wanted.

I noticed that the Way To The Moon machine has a star on the playfield that looks very much like the ones on my machine. Does it cover a lose hole or is it just artwork?
jingle

Post by jingle »

It's just art work. I think there are lose cups in the moon, but it's been a couple of years since I looked at it and it's not at home to take a closer look.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Jingle - I'm talking about the 1st machine pictured or are both yours?

Here's a link to the BMCo payout mech that will be in your machine - http://www.melright.com/slots/bmcauto.htm
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Found it.
Attachments
Picture 025.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Daveslot, That's quite a machine, never seen that one before !PUZZLED! looks like a lot of skill is needed to win here..... :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Compare and contrast... Two French takes on this game from Lemaitre's Les Machines à Sous.
You have to admit, for artistic flair and all-round finesse, the French games reign supreme.
Attachments
L'Infini
L'Infini
Au Claire De Lune
Au Claire De Lune
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Spot on Pennymachines - I need my bib on whilst looking at those French machines.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Was looking at this Moon and Stars the other day for some reason and got side tracked yet again into messing around with it. Figured out by gluing some rubber onto the shooting lever the coins now fire correctly, and doesn't damage the coin as a bonus!

But the best thing was deciding to clean off the retouched paint. I experimented with thinners and then with Methylated Spirits. The meths worked a treat, not only easily taking off the offending paint to expose much original paintwork, but look at all that yellowed varnish that came off too. Really can't tell you how much brighter the whole face is. I bought this one specifically for that hand painted art so this was an unexpected bonus!
Attachments
moon and stars varnish 1.jpg
moon and stars varnish 2.jpg
moon and stars varnish 3.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Terrific restoration as always, Rory.
You should be designated an Australian national treasure, after Bob Klepner, of course.

J Peterson
International Treasure Hunter :***
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

jingle wrote:Yes I have one of these but it vends a prize. Can't remember if it drops a coin too
Looks like an automatic delivery Jingle, does it have a large circular carousel inside?
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi argee
Yes it does
And as mentioned you
Can stick any prize in
As long as it fits the shoot
But I can't Remeber much
About the inside
It needs restoring and
As been stored since
I took the picture
Which was yonks ago
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just dragged this one out recently and spent the evening working on it. So I'm looking for images of similar BMCo non-allwin machines with large marquees such as "Over the Falls", "Climbing the Alps" etc. I presume the style I need will be the tall curvy shaped version. If anybody happens to actually own a machine then some good pics and measurements would be great. But I still haven't found a possible name for this game from the list in the Braithwaite book? So I may need to invent one for the marquee art :!?!: Thanks.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

"Lucky Stars."

Or "Moonjammer"

Or….never rmind.

J Peterson
Eggnoggin' Head in America
jingle

Post by jingle »

There were 2 similar in the last elephant house auctions Rory ,
Nr the end of auction
There maybe decent pics on there site
Jingle
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks Jingle, I'd seen those two before the auction but they look repro to me and not BMCo, no marquees anyway which is what I need to see.