Rowntrees Fruit Gums wrapper anybody??

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Rowntrees Fruit Gums wrapper anybody??

Post by gameswat »

Hey there, just finished restoring this Ruffler and Walker allwin and have another example partly done so I'm now looking for a vintage Rowntrees wrapper to suit. I found a British import store and got some new packs, though the current style gums are longer so had to cut them down. If anybody has an old style wrapper they could please scan for me I'd be a very happy restorer! I found the machine in pieces in Long Beach CA and now it's in Perth, West Australia, so a real world traveller! Cheers.
Attachments
rowntrees gums 4_1_1.jpg
john t peterson

Re: Rowntrees Fruit Gums wrapper anybody??

Post by john t peterson »

Drop dead gorgeous restoration job, Mr. Gameswat. I heard you recreated that backflash. True?? :eek:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey BritPenny, not sure where you're getting that info but I found the artwork down at my local K-Mart, it's just Xmas wrapping paper.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Ha John, had you fooled there for a second didn't I!? Yeah, did have to restore the artwork for this one. And to get those colours just so I printed out on my own Epson R1800 Photo Printer bought for just such an occasion. Got sick of paying $60 for printouts that were ok but always had one or two colours out of whack. This printer will go to A3+ size which is big enough for an allwin backflash. Ink isn't cheap but worth using the factory as the quality is magnifique. Lot of work to restore the artwork but as I have a basket case R&W Win a Nestles I decided to split the workload between the two. Just had to make three new brackets and it's converted with the artwork. The Nestles art was in terrible cond and rather dire, plus they used silver for all the lettering which would've been very hard to replicate!??
Attachments
rowntrees back_1_1_1.jpg
rowntrees restored_1_1.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You've missed your calling, Mr. Gameswat. Hollywood would snap you up in a second! Well done, mate. :***
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, I can see that too John, leading man who does his own stunt work. Thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hey - gameswat, if you don't mind sharing your labours for free, perhaps you could email me a high res. version of that file so I could put it in Resources should anyone else need the artwork in the future.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks to Dan for sending me the artwork to make these dummy packs of gums! And my restored backflash artwork should be available on here sometime soon. Dig this site!!
Attachments
gums_1_1.jpg
love_tester_999

Post by love_tester_999 »

Nice work you've done there :)

Can I make a suggestion about the silver lettering - you could print this as a spot colour with the correct silver ink if your printer has individual colour cartridges (IE one each for CMYK) by leaving the silver section blank on the main print, then swap-in the spot colour for one of the other inks and overprint it (the second print would consist of just the lettering in the solid colour). Some printers - not necessarily expensive ones - support more than four cartridges so you could add the spot colour in at the same time.

Neil
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Neil ,thanks for the info. I've never come across silver ink for computer printers before, not that I'm much of a printing boffin. I have two printers, a cheap canon for everyday use that has only two cartridges, black and a three colour. And I have an Epson R1800 photo printer which is superb quality and what I use for my artwork restoration. It has eight cartridges, five colour, two black and one clear, but I've never seen any mention of silver when i've searched for info on the inks.

I did eventually think of another way that would work. I could print just the outside of the lettering, which is blue, onto clear water decal paper, then I'd have blue decals that could be placed over silver painted areas. I could print out the full artwork on paper as normal, then paint the areas needed in silver with the water decal wording stuck over the top. Then have the whole thing laminted! Though not my problem this time around as I've almost finished converting the ratty Nestles into a sexy as hell Rowntrees #2!! I have a buyer lined up for this machine and he only wants it because he saw how lovely the first Rowntrees was.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , Just a thought...
But you could try printing the whole thing onto silver card or paper and arrange for the silver to show through were required.....
it might work :!?!:
regards Stuart.
love_tester_999

Post by love_tester_999 »

If separate silver/gold 'metallic' ink cartridges aren't available for your printer you could always make your own 'refill' I guess (that would probably be a great way to invalidate the warranty of course). If the metallic inks were available then your Epson would be ideal for that because it's got the set of four extra cartridges, but I'm not sure how it knows when to use the extra colours - though I shall investigate further!

The 'proper' way to do it would be with hot foil blocking, which is usually found on greetings cards and packaging that have metallic overlays:

http://www.frankel.co.uk/foil_blocking.html
http://www.promoartwork.net/web/printingguide.aspx

This is probably overkill for what you want of course :) Saying that, some of the guys doing video game restoration often sell their artwork when they've completed them as a way to fund their own restorations so if you ever find yourself being asked for a large batch of prints (such as replica sweet wrappers) then foil blocking might be the way to go for a really authentic look. I seem to remember that making up a die costs around £30-70 with a printing cost of maybe 50p each for something A4 size (though there would be a minimum order of maybe 100 or 250).
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The original R&W Nestles art was just silk screened onto the back of clear plastic like most other allwins, though strangely enough the R&W Rowntrees with the same cabinet and mech had the art silk-screened onto card, then laminated. Anyway the silver on the Nestles is a basic silver ink, nothing as elaborate as silver foil.

I have made my own run of "WIN" & "LOSE" foils before. I remade good examples of both on the computer then printed them onto clear sticker paper that's especially made for digi printers. Once printed you have to seal them with a clear lacquer. Then I stuck them onto the shiny side of aluminium cooking foil. Effect is very, very good, just slightly less bright than a perfect original but as I'll end up using at least 250 of them on my collection cost savings have been huge!! I think out of about 35 allwins only a handful if that were good enough to leave as-is.