Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
ipcress

Re: ID help needed on vintage deco style wooden slot machine

Post by ipcress »

Gameswat and PM - thank you so much. That would have taken me weeks to Google.

And thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely be staying !
ipcress

Re: Treble Chance identified

Post by ipcress »

Is there much value for one in that condition? It works but the front plate has almost completely worn off, leaving just a few digits visible.

How much is this mechanism supposed to spin or are the reels just intended to click round after turning the switch ( which is what happens )

Several parts marked J&M for Jentzsch & Meerz and numbered.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The condition doesn't look too bad - it should tidy up nicely.
Here's a Domino in action:

ipcress

Post by ipcress »

Thanks for that!
I'll see if I can figure out why this just clicks and doesn't spin.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

It's usually the pump. Operate the mech and hold the pump rod so it doesn't retract and see if it spins the reels.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: ID help needed on vintage deco style wooden slot machine

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:00 pm I'm not sure who did these conversions. Brenner perhaps. :!?!:
Actually, reviewing previous posts on this topic, and referring to Paul Braithwaite, I think the Treble Chance conversion was likely the work of Alfred Clement who from 1928, "personally supervised machine conversions at the Premier Automatic Works". The squat versions of Roll Out the Barrel have, 'A Premier Product' printed on their graphics. These would be early period conversions. Original manufacture of the J&M Domino seems to have started as early as 1912.

Clement started collaborating with Oliver Whales after 1939 and, "used his special knowledge to convert reel machines", sometimes under the name of Clem's Automatics of Redcar. The Treble Chance appears to be earlier in style than the more common Treble Pools, but they're essentially the same conversion. The Treble Pools' graphics, which incorporate Oliver Whales' name, have a more modern post-war appearance.
cakeman

Re: Treble Pools

Post by cakeman »

Nice machine. I bought one of these many years ago (fortunately, it DID have a key!). Are you aware that this is a conversion of a much earlier 'dice' machine where the backflash depicts a saloon bar? A win causes the arm of a cowboy holding a glass of beer to shoot upwards in a 'cheers' motion? If you feel the surface of the drums you should be able to feel the indentations of the dice 'dots' underneath the covering stickers.
nosmit

Post by nosmit »

It is fascinating how these machines get reworked in the name of what was fashionable at the time and would entice the punter to spend their money. Looking back a 100 year old dice game with moving parts is much more attractive than what looks like a static Arsenal footballer.
Here is a photo of the inside, quite seized up at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_0192_kindlephoto-228655197a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

The ghostly image of the dice players is sometimes on the back of the new backflash.
treefrog

Re: Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

Post by treefrog »

I bought the machine Ipcress had after putting on eBay and have managed to get it going having never owned a Domino style machine before. I love the Art Deco look of this variant and have created a temp backflash until I can work out best way to print onto thick card, as used a stencil, which is not so good. The mechanism had loads of missing machine screws and aphid to adjust reels and payout including stripping and cleaning. The pump had half a gallon of old black grease in, which seems to be essential to set up the timing of the machine. Anyway, runs lovely now and retired light which was fitted... !THUMBS!

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks for the video Tree, but what where you thinking adding music over it!? I for one didn't expect this Tiktok version, I hoped to hear the mech clearly, which I'm sure pretty much anybody who searches the video out will also appreciate.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Gameswat, I cannot stand quiet videos with just the sounds of the operator's heaving breathing. Always found it a distraction. I loved Mr PM’s videos he did a long time ago of the Semco Nixie machine with funky music and was hooked… You can’t please everyone especially my poor quality camera work... so for you a version with heavy breathing :HaHa: