Top Tips for Newcomers

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
jerryt

Re: Top Tips for Newcomers

Post by jerryt »

Magnetic Coins

It occurs that newbies like me may not (I didn't) realise that later modern coinage is magnetic

The composition of 1p and 2p coins was changed from bronze to copper-plated steel in 1992 and the composition of 5p and 10p coins was changed from cupro-nickel to nickel-plated steel in 2011. The common denominator? Steel.

My Aristocrat Starlite has an magnet in the coin slot to stop naughty boys and girls from using steel discs or similar, other machines may well too. Hence a 'new' new penny sticks and needs rescuing.

So... If some of your coins drop in the slot but some don't... Look for the magnet and check the dates on your coinage.
Last edited by jerryt on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

We usually remove the magnet. It just pops out on the Aristos.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well of course I leave all my magnets in, just use old coins. Oddly I started collecting copper pennies and 2p’s years ago when copper went through the roof......of course not worth anything now, so I have two large tubs of old copper coins. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When it comes to loosening up tight metal, I used to use Plus Gas instead of WD 40.
Until going through my late dad's papers, where he mentioned using ATF-Ace. I had found a bottle with such a hand written label in his shed.
Apart from it being great as a penetrating fluid, I couldn't find it anywhere or decipher it. The internet never threw up any clues either.
It was only through hearing it mentioned down the boat yard reference removing a gear box from a bell housing that I discovered that you make it yourself.
It's a 50/50 mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone.
It's important that the ATF part is non synthetic.

Just how good it is I didn't realise until I found this chart, it makes interesting reading.
Attachments
330825753_1154945375082053_3631539270674822464_na.jpg
330825753_1154945375082053_3631539270674822464_na.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 6988 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting BP. I have a big bottle of Acetone that I have been too in fear of using after reading the safety instructions on things like, “risk of explosion”, so have kept well away... Perhaps I need to address my fears and give this a go with my chemical suit on. !OMFG!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Go to Halfords & get yourself some of this. Lasts for ages, & is quite effective.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... OC4wLjAuMA..
Attachments
RS-1.jpg
RS-1.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 pm Interesting BP. I have a big bottle of Acetone that I have been too in fear of using after reading the safety instructions on things like, “risk of explosion”, so have kept well away... Perhaps I need to address my fears and give this a go with my chemical suit on. !OMFG!
I buy acetone from eBay in 5ltr containers. The biggest problem with it is if you're not careful with it you'll wreck your nail varnish.
If you get it on a rag best leave the rag outside until next day, give it a chance to evaporate. We don't want any spontaneous combusting, do we?
If you have to use it indoors and the fumes are getting to you it's best to get your mother in law round to have a go.
Mixing it with ATF works fantastically because the acetone holds the ATF in suspension and being an organic solvent it penetrates easily and carries the ATF into the gaps.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It can also be used to repel Cybermen...