Restoration of Mills high top, and Mills Jewel Bell

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pominoz

Restoration of Mills high top, and Mills Jewel Bell

Post by pominoz »

Hiya All,

As a total novice to this wonderful hobby, I've recently got myself two lovely one arm bandits that I would like to restore to their former glory, so, I wondered if I could post a few questions for you great people to maybe help me with some or all of the answers.

I would like to know the following: I am led to believe the Jewel Bell is a 1947, and the Hightop a circa 50s/60s, so, would it be possible for me to pin down the exact date of the High Top? Any markings or serial number I could search for?

Also, as for the restoration, am I right in thinking the handles are chrome, but the metalwork on the fronts appear to be something else? Obviously, most of you will know exactly what the metals are. I would like to know all the correct steps I should take in the restoration of the metals, and what are my options on attempting to bring all of the metal and chromed pieces back to their former glory?

I appreciate any advice you guys could give me, as I am planning on giving myself well over a year to complete this project. The mechs appear to be working fine and seem to run nice and smooth, but I am comfortable stripping down the mechs and cleaning them with the help of my Mills Owners manual and other info I have obtained lately. Also, eventually, cosmetically I would like to have these two treasures painted and looking as close to original as I can get them.

As for the price of my bandits, I read an article recently about prices, and about buyers paying too much, but, I am not too bothered if I paid too much, or two little, for my little treasures, as for me, I am simply thrilled to own them and to have the chance to work on them over the next couple of years and also have the chance of trying to restore them to their former glory, or as close to original as I can possibly get them, and of course I hope with the help and advice from you great people here in the forum.

I've tried to attach 2 pics of the bandits and hope it works, as it is the first time I've tried to attach anything to a post in this forum.
The High Top also has the "Formica" looking sides on it, and I would like to know, is it correct that they could possibly be removed and attempt to save the wood underneath and have that restored professionally?
I am not saying money is no object in the restorations of these machines, but I am lucky enough to have a very "understanding" partner who allows me to "invest" in "my hobbies"! !!YABBADABBA!!
So, I am happy to do what I can to really work hard in making these two bandits look as good as I can possibly achieve.

And like I say, I am a total novice to this hobby, and have happily waited and searched for over 8 months to obtain what I considered to be two great "starter bandits" for me to enjoy, so, am really thrilled and pleased to now own these two.
Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone decides to offer me via this post,
!!CHEERS!!
pominoz
Attachments
millshitop.jpg
millshitop.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
jewelbell.jpg
jewelbell.jpg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
treefrog

Re: Restoration of Mills high top, and Mills Jewel bell.

Post by treefrog »

They look tidy Fire engine red machines already, so the question has to be what you're looking to do with them as if they work well, they look like they show well already. If you want to give them a new paint job there are many options. Coppin will give you a run down on his experiences which he has restored recently, but you can just Google 'Hi Tops' to get others colours etc. Are you trying to get them to an original state or just looking great?

Your pictures are small, so we cannot click on them and get a more detailed look, but the Hi Top (non Jewel) is a Mill-O-Matic machine, made later in Mills life in Reno, has the plastic award card and hole where the 6D symbol is. Also often had Formica covered chipboard case which would be original, made late '50s early '60s I guess. They normally have a sticker on the inside case with the serial number and a sticker on the baseplate of the mechanism at the front which should match (often lost due to years of oil soaking them). Some, I believe, had wood cases. This machine looks like it has a Sega Hi Top Award Arrow.

The Jewel would be earlier - the thing about dates is they would have run over a few years, so you are about right, but probably ran into the early '50s. I would check the MLB stamps on the castings to see if they have clear markings, as there were many early repro's of these machines.

The metalwork on these are normally just plain alloy. Some polish them to a shine and a few try chroming them, but it will not stick well. The Jewel jackpot surround I believe should be chrome plated.

If you can get higher resolution pictures loaded it would be great.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This website will show you dates and colours, but not all are original: http://www.pinball-gallery.com/archives ... &cst=MILLS

The Jewell, as far as I can find out, should look like this one I did last year.
finished a1.jpg

The other one I don't know, as I've never had the chance to do one as late as that. Would like to though. This correct "Duces Wild" colour might suit it.
hi-top yellow.jpg

pominoz

Post by pominoz »

Thanks Treefrog and Coppinpr,

I am going to try and add the other pics I have of them. I cannot get any more at this time, as my two treasures are currently on the high seas somewhere between England and Australia on their way over to me now! :lol:

I guess in answer to your first question, I think I would simply like to have them looking great. When they arrive here, I will start searching for any identification marks like you suggest. And thanks Coppin for the great pics, and the link. I can't say I am a lover of "yellow" but the Jewell Bell you did does look awesome in the blue and red, so I guess it gives me something to aim for, although as a "newbie" to this hobby I would rely on someone who actually does restoration work for the paintwork, rather than attempt it myself and risk ballsing it up!! :oops:

The mechs already seem to run as smooth as a babies backside, I felt when I had a little play with them back in England when I picked them up (the one arm bandit, not the babies backside!! :shock: ), but I would plan on stripping them down and trying to give them a totally good clean of any dirt or dust or grime that may be hidden. But yes, as for the paintwork, I dont mind the red, but just felt I would like to give them a new lease of life with a fresh new paint job on them both, so I will do as Coppin suggested and Google a few to look at, or at least what other people appear to have done with their own.

These are the only other pics I have at the moment, hope they help.

Big thanks as always for your valuable help,
pominoz !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
P3310065.jpg
P3310064.jpg
P3310063.jpg
P3310062.jpg
P3310059.jpg
P3310058.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I notice the Jewell has the wrong name plate. Might be worth buying the correct "Jewell" plate from Mrslot - cheap enough. The side plate next to the reels is correct and the jackpot surround wings are correct, so might be nice to finish it off with the Jewell plate.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Not saying a thing.... !!ESCAPE!! so shall leave it up to someone bolder to point out that originally The Jewel was in fact also branded MILLS (earlier?) and the colour scheme was markedly different.....
badpennymachinesinozdotp.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Seems to me if the Jewell did have the Mills plate (later?) and also had the Jewell plate (earlier?). It would be nicer with the correct plate. Please show me the correct colors so ill know at least a tiny bit as much as andy dose !WORSHIPFULL!

Here's the version from the International Slot machine Museum site:
jewell2.jpg
jewell2.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

and here is the version from Mills machine list on the pinball site:
jewell 1.jpg

Markedly different !PUZZLED! - the blue looks lighter on mine due to the photo flash but markedly different??
Anyway, I shan't comment on the forum again without sending my comments to andy to clear first :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Crikey, Andy's ill? ........ his tiny bit has a dose?

Serves him right for sleeping next to Billabongs, no sympathy from me. :didact:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

badpenny wrote:Crikey, Andy's ill? ........ his tiny bit has a dose?

Serves him right for sleeping next to Billabongs, no sympathy from me. :didact:
If only you had started this with "What's that, Skippy?", I would have fallen out of my chair. :HaHa:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Hi, Well 9 years later and I now own both of these machines, apparently taken to Oz and then brought all the way back and ended up local in Lincoln !

I'm after some help with the Jackpot on the Hi-Top. The window has a metal spacer ( shown in photo) but this allows both the jackpot and the reserve to be visible from the front.

My question is what would have been there to hide the reserve jackpot ? I've seen various models where the jackpot has a sticker indicating what could be won. Is this something that was used on UK models ?

Any help appreciated. Also I know the paint choice is not original but I like it and more importantly the wife does too and she's who decides what gets into the house and what doesn't !
Thanks
Dave
Attachments
Jewel
Jewel
Hi-Top This is the actual colour !
Hi-Top This is the actual colour !
Hi-Top- Yes its the same colour as the bottom half, just different lighting !
Hi-Top- Yes its the same colour as the bottom half, just different lighting !
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Love the colours, I plan on doing my jewel Bell a similar colour.
There should be a chrome plate to cover the reserve J/P.
Attachments
DSCF0872a.jpg
geordy55

Re: Restoration of Mills high top, and Mills Jewel Bell

Post by geordy55 »

Well in the end I made this from some polished stainless steel.
Attachments
9202C4D2-8064-41FF-9F95-D0352DFFAA18a.jpg
E5D62DA1-0905-40E5-BCC7-0301009D45E1a.jpg