Ripplers: repro & real

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: eBay at its best

Post by coin-op »

I too share your bemusement about these modern Ripplers. Ever since one sold on ebay a few years back for a staggering £1,400, it has been interesting to plot their course and various seller descriptions. In fact, I think one original Rippler sold on ebay amongst that lot, but probably was a good buy as many watchers guessed it was just another repro under another yet another creative description. I was surprised to see that on the Bryan's website that it now states that these modern copies were made from original parts...certainly all the copies I have seen have had brass mechanism mechanisms (Bryan's would weep at that), so at best it would seem that outer castings were possibly supplied by Bryans. However, it seems strange that Bryans would supply castings to allow others to replicate their own machine at a time when they were still in business still making machines; can't see many manufacturers doing that! I think there's a world of difference between an original and a repro made 50 + years later by someone with no connection whatsoever to Bryans...and I think Mr Bryans is up there somewhere nodding his head in agreement !SAINT! .
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

From what I can remember, 30 odd of these were made about 15 - 20 years ago. No original parts were used.
spintop

Post by spintop »

i've seen a few of the rippler repro machines on my travels over the years and i must say who ever made them really did know what they were doing the internal workings look basically spot on to the originals and as most people can see far better quality than some of those repro allwin machines out there at the moment without a doubt , my hat comes off to you mystery man a very fine job you made well done who ever you were trying to recreate the bryans rippler , oh well lets see whos turn it is now to recreate a slot machine !! oh yes badpenny can you make 30 bryans bumpers please i need them by next week
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry chap the only bumpers I'm currently interested in are of an organic nature and are not attached to people who sport a name like "Bryan". :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yet another imaginative way of describing an imitation. The seller is now describing them as "Antique". So not only were they made about 10 years ago but they're also 100 years old, wow!
treefrog

Auction rage

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I have just been involved in auction rage. My local auction house had a penny slot machine on their books, without picture and went to view on Saturday. Turned out to be a repro Bryans Rippler, widely discussed on the forum. Anyway while there I took my fancy on a nice bronze, Art Deco themed, which I planned to bid on. Trouble is I am busy at work and just missed the bronze when it came up, so decided to watch to see how the Rippler did... at the time I was also in a heated call with my boss and through this I found myself hitting the bid button repeatedly... Bugger you have won this auction... blah blah and 300 precious pounds later including commission... oh dear... One will never learn... :oops:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: auction rage

Post by badpenny »

Congratulations :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Ripplers: repro & real

Post by pennymachines »

Well, they're getting cheaper.

See also How NOT to restore your machine.
Attachments
1694s.jpg
cheeky

Re: Auction rage

Post by cheeky »

tree-frog wrote:I have just been involved in auction rage. My local auction house had a penny slot machine on their books, without picture and went to view on Saturday. Turned out to be a repro Bryans Rippler, widely discussed on the forum. ... Bugger you have won this auction... blah blah and 300 precious pounds later including commission... oh dear... One will never learn... :oops:
Youch. I didn't place a bid on the machine, thank goodness and assuming you mean a certain North-East Essex auction house, they told me it was definitely an original. Naughty naughty! Originally I was gutted because I just missed the auction! Are you sure it's a copy?
treefrog

Re: Auction rage

Post by treefrog »

Well, I was probably one of the few who actually viewed. I have never seen a real one, except another collector showed me a real case, and this one looks quite new, little age to it. If a Repro, it is good and the castings may well be original parts. The case is oak and the castings brass. I noticed back on this post that Bryans Fan wondered whether repros were all Mahogany cased, well this is oak and he stated they use brass not chromed controls, well on Melrights site, they have both... As stated on Melright's site, the repro's are very similar, in fact, I have compared the picture on his site of the mechanics and they are identical, even the location of the screws on the back.

If it is not original, I don't care as a real one would be a fortune. I just would not have had this top of my list for the next machine, so meant only to do a token bid of a few hundred... Still it plays well...

You're right about the auction house though. I wonder what they based their statement on. Also they had it down as a 1950s machine, but were the originals not 1930s and the repros 1990s?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

The picture I posted was of an original Rippler from the Bryans museum. The Photo on Melyvn's site acredited to P. Barson is also an original. The repros appear to be very good, but I think that it is hard to fake 70 years of use, and they do look new. All adds to the fun. I am always willing to admit that I don`t know everything, and often make mistakes.
We have all had auction fever by the way! No one likes to admit it though. But we have all driven home feeling sick and a little worried about how to explain the latest find.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Tree Frog, I think I'm right in saying that all Bryans machines were numbered, certainly all originals I have seen and owned have the case stamped and almost always, some part of the castings - with the same matching number, see photos. Does your Rippler case have a number? If so, then possibly an original - OK, I know a number can be added but if no number, combined with what you have already said, then probably a repro.
Attachments
Bryans number mech.jpg
Bryans number.jpg
urbanbody

the Rippler on ebay

Post by urbanbody »

jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

That's repro. :!:
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Does anyone know where I can get copies of the instruction cards for the Bryans Rippler? !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here you go.
Sorry, but I don't have the scorecard.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Brill thanks - just need the other side now.
Thanks.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Over the years, the continued appearance of repro Ripplers has gone by unnoticed, but I saw another one sold today at the same place (Manders Auctions) I bought my Fruit Bowl for just under £400, but what is odd is three other versions sold at the same auction house since 2019, the previous in February for around £600... They are all different and seems so odd, so many appear in the same location. Are these still being made? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
F9CA77BB-38A2-4040-BCCF-E76A158A2AB7.jpeg
F9CA77BB-38A2-4040-BCCF-E76A158A2AB7.jpeg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
F433C21E-0A83-40C3-A204-E2FBE9444660.jpeg
F433C21E-0A83-40C3-A204-E2FBE9444660.jpeg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
C7017B88-FB84-4948-9638-E066B9DE80C0.jpeg
C7017B88-FB84-4948-9638-E066B9DE80C0.jpeg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
7758F36A-98C7-4E34-BD6B-6440C1109F64.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's odd, as you say. Presumably some are just being passed around, but there do seem to be a lot of them.
Attachments
rip.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I bought one a number of years ago from Reeman Dansie and sold on at a loss at Coventry, but that is the next nearest auction, again all different.....I am surprised how much people still bid to be honest, not the most thrilling game :woops: