Bryans Worlborl

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
wembleylion

Re: Bryans Worlborl

Post by wembleylion »

Thank you for the information, Mr.PM; your photo of the complete machine is very helpful. !THUMBS! It shows the pin positions below the ball release hole really well and this is something I had been pondering about for some while.
It's such a shame when all the effort that goes into the works of a machine is spoiled because somebody thinks stained pine will pass for good old English oak.
I agree, unless cost is a consideration then why not have the best, after all the same amount of work goes into making the case regardless of whether it is knotty pine or oak.
I find oak much easer to work with less chance of splitting the wood during machining than with softwood and of course there is greater satisfaction derived from producing a quality product.

John
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I have managed to get a bit more of the Worlborl done.
I said in an earlier post that I would have to make the operator plate in three sections; this is the first part completed.
Worlborl-Progress-4.jpg

John
JC

Post by JC »

Excellent work, John !THUMBS!
I guess the profile was CNC machined or laser cut, but how did you achieve the relief work - was it spark/wire eroded or was it also machined?

Jerry
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Thank you for your kind comments JC. :woops:

I only have a small model engineer’s workshop with no modern electronic gadgets.
The panel was rough cut from 3mm thick stainless steel plate using a bandsaw; then the finishing cuts and the recesses were machined out using endmills in a 60 year old manually operated vertical milling machine. The plate was then polished using progressively finer grades of wet & dry paper and finally buffing it on a polishing mop; the same process as the strips used on the playing surface. I had to cheat with the lettering though; the letters are stainless steel earrings, with the studs clipped off, stuck in the recesses with structural adhesive; a coat of enamel paint finished it off.

John
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

What a fantastic and I bet, rewarding project. Love following this post and can't wait for the finished item. Thanks too for the detailed explanations of how you are making the thing, as for using the ear rings for letters.. genius!!!
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Polishing the Stainless Steel strips; Out-take.
Linisher-vs-Garage-Door-1.jpg

Or perhaps this photo should be ‘Spot the Deliberate Mistake’
Linisher-vs-Garage-Door-2.jpg

Linisher-vs-Garage-Door-3.jpg

Answer: Don’t put the linisher in front of a window.

The surface of most metals as they come from the rolling mills have a myriad of tiny pits and troughs which need to be removed before the metal is buffed on the polishing mop. Normally this is done using progressively finer grades of abrasive belts on a belt sander (linisher in engineering speak).
I couldn’t get any ready polished stainless steel so had to do this job myself. The strips for the playing surface were 12mm wide by 3mm thick by 1 metre long and the surface was quite badly marked so I decided to start off with a run on the linisher. Unfortunately, I allowed the strip to run under the stop at the end of the belt and the stop gave sufficient down pressure on the strip for the belt to drive it through the Georgian wired glass panel at about 20mph and propel it nearly 10 meters across the garden. The resulting rectangular hole in the glass is only 2mm larger than the strip.

I suppose I should now say ‘Don’t try this at home’

John
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fantastic John, that's my kind of engineering.
Good job your garden is long enough for us not to be reading about you in the papers.

BP
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

wembleylion wrote: the letters are stainless steel earrings, with the studs clipped off, stuck in the recesses with structural adhesive;
John
BRILLIANT!!! I like your thinking !!THUMBSX2!!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I think Chris Houghton was caught wearing a pair of those 'GOAL' earrings last weekend John. Good to see you sticking to Canary colours too!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

On the ball city! Fantastic job,John.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Progress on the Worlborl is a bit slow at present as I am waiting for a friend, who is currently working abroad, to saw a length of oak in half as my bandsaw is not powerful enough to cut through six inches of solid oak.

I took some photos at the Elephant House ‘Bryan’s Viewing Day’ and there is an interesting difference between the earlier Worlborls and those made later. In the early machines the timing device necessary to allow the release of all the balls is done by the coin locking down the release lever then running across two tracks to unlock the lever again and reset the release pin. In the later versions the timing is achieved by a coin carrying a counterbalanced arm down to release the balls; then dropping the coin at the bottom the arm returns to the top so resetting the release pin. Much simpler and far less work to manufacture.

John
Early Mech.
Early Mech.

Later Mech.
Later Mech.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's interesting John. I wasn't aware there was an "improved" Worlborl mechanism. Just shows how the simplest solution is often not the first an experienced engineer lights upon. I still prefer the first one though.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

At long last I've managed to get my piece of Oak cut on Saturday and I have now completed a Standard Bryan’s case. It still needs a bit more surface preparation before it can be varnished, which I will do after a trial fitting of the door, stops, locks, coin shoot and coin tray.
Bryans Case 1.PNG

John