Bryans Worlborl

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
wembleylion

Bryans Worlborl

Post by wembleylion »

Please can you tell me what is missing from this Bryans Worlborl?

As the coin drops down its weight lowers the arm at the top to release the balls from the playing field. As the coin takes the arm down it is caught by the catch at the bottom of the slot which I assume holds the arm down until all the balls are released into the lifting wheel's feed track ---- but whatever releases the catch to allow the arm to return to its starting position and close off the feed track appears to be missing.
Please can you help; any photos would be very much appreciated.

Thank you. John.
Attachments
Bryans-Worlborl-pics.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bryans Worlborl

Post by badpenny »

I didn't take any photos when I had one, but recall that after the coin drops the arm low enough to be secured by the catch it is then diverted into the track leading off to the right.
After trundling down there it meets the next one which leads it back to the catch where it releases the arm. The time it takes to do that is long enough for the balls to be released.

I think ...........
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, as the penny rolls down the second return chute, it should 'nudge' the latch and set everything back to normal. As BP says, the time taken for the penny to roll down the two chutes should be long enough to release all the balls.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Many thanks for the info BP and JC.

I kept looking at the Y shaped cross bars (which thanks to you I now know are coin tracks) but just couldn't make out what they were for. There couldn't be a simpler time delay mechanism.

John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Worlborl ball release mechanism:

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Wow, that's a great simple design!
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Brilliant, thank you for the video clip Mr Pennymachines, it shows the operation perfectly. !!THUMBSX2!!
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Hello Mr Pennymachines.

I have sent you a private email in the hopes that you can help me further in regard to the Bryans Worlborl.

Thank you. John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've placed the graphics you requested in Resources and moved your topic to this category as you are building from scratch. The ball runner width is 3/8". Please post pictures of your progress.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Wow! Absolutely brilliant; many thanks Mr Pennymachines. !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
Hopefully I should be able to post some photos in the next few days.
John
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Some years ago, back in the 1980s, I visited Jim Broderick’s ‘Star Warehouse’ where a Bryans Worlborl took my fancy but at £165 (I think) it was beyond my meagre budget. I still have a hankering to own a Worlborl as I like the two player action; it looks good fun to me.

The Worlborl is a very simple machine with no complex ball delivery or payout system so I thought I would build one from scratch in my small model engineer’s workshop.

Having had some very serious problems with chrome platers in the past I get nightmares just thinking about having stuff chrome plated so now I tend to use stainless steel for small parts that would normally be chrome. To my eyes stainless has a yellow tinge and more resembles nickel plate when polished; by comparison I think chrome has a blue tinge. I don’t think the casual observer would notice the difference twixt highly polished stainless and chrome.

Here is a photo of my progress so far.

I have used stainless for the 3 control knobs and the 5 pulley wheels are just mild steel painted. The coin tracks are 22 gauge Zintec steel sheet mangled up in the bender and soft soldered.

Bryans used a brass casting for the operator plate but I have started to fabricate this from stainless steel and it is shown here with the first roughing cuts made. Three stainless steel parts will eventually be required to replicate the casting.
The Bryans casting is a bit elaborate for easy fabrication; I counted over seventy what appear to be raised? balls/footballs of assorted sizes in the recessed areas on Mr Pennymachines video so I won’t be making a true copy but I will try to keep within the spirit of the Bryans machine.

John
Attachments
Worlborl-Progress-1a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done John I think your patience and skill are to be recognised and applauded, your efforts are attractive and a credit to you.

In my opinion I think you should move the game up a notch and make me a 1:1 working E type Jaguar.

BP
PS Primrose Yellow please.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Firstly, a belated reply with apologies for not replying sooner to BP.

Many thanks BP for your appreciation of my efforts to build a Worlborl. :woops:

The E type Jag, ‘lovely ol motor’, (as they say up ‘ere in Norfik) I worked on a few E's in my motor mechanicing days in the 60s and 70s including helping tune one up for Martin Lilley, later of TVR fame.
I liked the red E’s best and thought the pastel yellow ones a bit girly but although not in the same league I preferred the red Healey 3000 because it had a more traditional sports car look.

Secondly, in spite of the festive celebrations (Bar-Humbug and all that) I have managed to do a bit more to the Worlborl.
Basically this has included polishing, bending and fitting the stainless steel strips and making the bats. The playing surface is just thick art paper with the graphics posted by Mr PM in Resources printed off, cut out and stuck to the art paper. I don’t know how Bryans dealt with this but I propose to cover the art papers with a sheet of 2mm polycarbonate which should provide a good layer of protection to the graphics and would be easy to change if it got too scuffed up.
The next job is to make and position the ball delivery wheel.

The photo has made the blue a bit bright, in reality it is a shade or two darker almost matching my previous close-up photo, above.

I wish you all a Happy New Year.

John
Attachments
Worlborl-Progress-2a.jpg
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Looks great John, congratulations from oop North Norfolk. !THUMBS!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Looking good John, keep up the good work !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Commendable work John. You must be very pleased with the way it's turning out. On the originals, the water slide transfer players are simply applied over a leatherette backing and are unprotected, but they seem to last well. Your method is more robust though. If you can find a nice bit of old oak for the cabinet it will look much nicer than ply or a cheap softwood.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Yes, Mr PM, I’m very pleased with the way the Worlborl is progressing. The copies of the original Bryans graphics, which you posted in Resources, give it an air of authenticity which I would have had difficulty in reproducing successfully.

Leatherette is still available but I don’t have the ability to print off the graphics as transfers. I believe that printing transfers for use on non porous or hard surfaces needs special (expensive) ink and transfer paper.

I have some oak to replicate the case but it doesn’t have the same grain pattern as the wood Bryans used on my ‘Forks’ case. The ‘Forks’ case is certainly made from hardwood but I’m not sure it is oak unless the logs were cut in a different way then to how they are cut nowadays so showing a different aspect of the grain.

I have seen pictures showing Worlborls with different cases, one with a side hinged door and one with a bottom hinged door. Do you know if Bryans did make two cases for the Worlborl or is one a re-case and if so please can you tell me which one is correct?

John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

wembleylion wrote:Leatherette is still available but I don’t have the ability to print off the graphics as transfers. I believe that printing transfers for use on non porous or hard surfaces needs special (expensive) ink and transfer paper.
There are various products available now which make it easy to produce transfers with a colour printer, such as Lazertran (mentioned in this thread). The method you used seems perfectly adequate for your purpose though.
wembleylion wrote:I have some oak to replicate the case but it doesn’t have the same grain pattern as the wood Bryans used on my ‘Forks’ case. The ‘Forks’ case is certainly made from hardwood but I’m not sure it is oak unless the logs were cut in a different way then to how they are cut nowadays so showing a different aspect of the grain.
Any oak with a bit of character would be fine, I'm sure, as you're not trying to fake an original so much as make something which is attractive in its own right. It's such a shame when all the effort that goes into the works of a machine is spoiled because somebody thinks stained pine will pass for good old English oak.
wembleylion wrote:I have seen pictures showing Worlborls with different cases, one with a side hinged door and one with a bottom hinged door. Do you know if Bryans did make two cases for the Worlborl or is one a re-case and if so please can you tell me which one is correct?
Worlborls were made from 1953 for about 40 years and with several variations in case design, dimensions and finish, the most significant being between the plain and streamlined styles. Usually the door was hinged on the right but my early example (below) has no hinges, just a couple of metal pegs at the bottom (simpler to copy).
Attachments
worlborl.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Worlborls were made from 1953 for about 40 years

Strewth! .... until 1993?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, the amazing thing is that Bryans wall machines were still being made (albeit slowly) by Jim Bryan, right up to November 2000, when a series of arson attacks destroyed the workshop.