Bryans Worlborl

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
wembleylion

Re: Bryans Worlborl

Post by wembleylion »

Progress on the Worlborl is a bit slow at present as I am waiting for a friend, who is currently working abroad, to saw a length of oak in half as my bandsaw is not powerful enough to cut through six inches of solid oak.

I took some photos at the Elephant House ‘Bryan’s Viewing Day’ and there is an interesting difference between the earlier Worlborls and those made later. In the early machines the timing device necessary to allow the release of all the balls is done by the coin locking down the release lever then running across two tracks to unlock the lever again and reset the release pin. In the later versions the timing is achieved by a coin carrying a counterbalanced arm down to release the balls; then dropping the coin at the bottom the arm returns to the top so resetting the release pin. Much simpler and far less work to manufacture.

John
Early Mech.
Early Mech.

Later Mech.
Later Mech.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's interesting John. I wasn't aware there was an "improved" Worlborl mechanism. Just shows how the simplest solution is often not the first an experienced engineer lights upon. I still prefer the first one though.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

At long last I've managed to get my piece of Oak cut on Saturday and I have now completed a Standard Bryan’s case. It still needs a bit more surface preparation before it can be varnished, which I will do after a trial fitting of the door, stops, locks, coin shoot and coin tray.
Bryans Case 1.PNG

John