New way of getting past Ebay rules

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Re: New way of getting past Ebay rules

Post by coppinpr »

I agree with BP that this seems an unlikely ploy. What do you do?? trust the seller to give you the money after the sale?
They claim to have done a deal with eBay to sell other peoples slot machines on eBay. Stating they are fully licensed and will charge a % of final price.
this statement is clearly not possible and if the person involved can be identified they should be reported to Ebay. The truth is of course that if they are fully licensed they dont need Ebay's permission.
The licence is,as we all know, very expensive indeed and I cant see a licensed operator bothering to spend time adding this small sideline to his slot business.
I wonder what the % is? if the machine is an expensive one then a single machine licence would be cheaper for sure
My informant asks .... perhaps it's these that have been pulling them off ebay?
indeed it would seem likely that they are thus setting up the person they contact to be receptive to their offer

No, this sounds more like a con than a bona fida option to me
marktol

Post by marktol »

Interesting.

I can tell you I have only had one person email me their contact details for the green machine I currently have listed - in fact that's the only email I've had about it period which is surprising considering there has already been a fair amount of bids placed and 135 watchers at current count.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

marktol wrote:I can tell you I have only had one person email me their contact details for the green machine I currently have listed

Probably because you show a licence so it's more likely to go to auction end and [ii] you have lots of listings and previous listings so you're unlikely to be swayed to sell off ebay, well at least with a below market offer and [iii] the price went up pretty quickly to a level above where an opportunist would want to pay, so again anyone hoping to get you to sell it cheaply would have not got it, so maybe no need to chase you with contact details etc.

I've not heard of the "I'll sell it for you for x%........... as I have a licence"......

GP.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Sellers of vintage slots and allwins appear to be using ebay purely as an advertising medium and have no intention of keeping them on them til the end. We see a lot more of these sellers adding their phone numbers on the pretence of asking questions, but usually so they can do a deal! Early years of ebay no one put a phone number!
cant blame anyone for trying to sell by any means possible. think phone number maybe not required in the old days as listings left alone. i have in the past had listing removed and my account activity frozen albeit only for twenty four hours. what I plan to try in the next few days is list a perfectly good machine probably with a reserve as non functioning for parts thus I think complying with ebay rules. I may also list a phone number to allow contact to inform any interested parties of the actual condition of the machine. You listed a Fruit Machine. Gaming machine listings are only permitted from licensed sellers or if the machine is completely non-functioning and only being sold for parts. Disabling or removing the coin or payout mechanism does not render the machine non-functional per eBay?s policy. Please do not relist this. this is part of the message I received so am I right in thinking I may well get away with this?
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

"non functioning" or "only for parts" do not get you around the rules,

the latest ideas I've seen are

1. Sell the case and the mech separately - obvious pitfalls to this unless they are listed as buy it now but it seems to work
2. describe it as "dummy", "film prop" etc, even though it is obviously fully functioning machine
3. describe as "full scale model"

The reality is that if it is a bot they run to pick certain words then your description needs to avoid the obvious words, bandit, slot etc, - this may explain why some machines have been removed even though they have individual licences. If it's actually a member of the Ebay staff who trawls for these things then they don't appear to be clever enough to see through 2. and 3. above

We all know it's unfortunate as it's undoubtedly the biggest market place out there but as previous posters have said both as a buyer and a seller you simply have to take your chances but until you've either got the machine or the money in your hands, then assume it's going to go wrong, that way you won't be disappointed.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well I don't think ebay existed when this machine was brought out. The seller states it was done to bypass state slot machine law and be therefore appraised as a pinball or skill with prizes machine and therefore legal to operate. Whilst the bagatelle type set up is interesting, I am more interested in the casting insert above the jackpot window with a melon window? Was this on other Jennings machines at the time? I don't recall seeing it on a non-bagatelle machine either.
Attachments
jenningspinballslotrare.jpg
spintop

Post by spintop »

I see same machines are back on ebay again both after selling, plenty of bids and I was one of them. Why did they not contact me after with a second chance offer? And they went for good prices, more than I thought they would. Come on, why not sell to the under bidders then? Oh hang on, it was an ebay private listing - "bidders' identities protected" - what a surprise. We know all about those sort of auctions don't we and the poor reasons, 'blah blah blah' why sellers use that style of auction and I guess you really can't sell the machine back to yourself can you? Basically it's open to all kinds of fraudulent behavior and should never be allowed, but if you want a machine bad enough you have to make this unfair choice to bid or not in that format. Enough said on the matter.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

just an update, if you don't already know this (I didn't)

about 6 weeks ago I listed a bandit and received the standard "listing policy violation" message but this time I noticed something I hadn't seen before - a one day suspension from making new listings

Took a chance and listed one yesterday and have received what appears at first glance to be the same message but this time accompanied by a 30 day suspension, so the system obviously awards progressively worse punishments.

On the other hand the Ebay owned company Gumtree doesn't seem to be removing listings at all at the moment.
raj

Post by raj »

I guess you really can't sell the machine back to yourself can you
This is known as Shill bidding & is very common in open auctions where one or 2 people conspire to bid up the price in the hope that new money will come in, after which they withdraw. Ebay bids, whilst still possible if different people try the same thing, differs in that the machine knows if the seller himself tries this, using either a second ID , or the same one the ad is listed with. Retribution is swift and you will be suspended until a 'play nicely' CBT is completed and an agreement is signed off not to repeat. A number of people have been prosecuted for this, and the fines are very significant if found guilty.
If you suspect a scam, report the seller and the ebay police will do the rest, however they won't tell you the outcome.
As for Gumtree, they do remove listings periodically, but do not seem to actively monitor placings. They rely on trolls reporting people to achieve this & their threats seem to be fairly empty if you change the wording a little.
Doctored licences are appearing quite often now, however, this could be viewed very seriously by the Gambling Commision, should they chose, as it is a criminal offence to use a forged document in this way.
Happy selling......
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Just thought I would share some info....
Recently I sold some coinop stuff (modern, e.g. not vintage machines). This was an off ebay sale and he came and collected and paid cash. He told me he was currently banned off ebay and he had been reported to the Gambling Commission, for multiple gaming legislation violations. More interesting was all these violations related to modern pub club machines, for the continued listing of these machines on ebay under multiple ebay accounts, without necessary licence or permit............ I know some on here have previously believed only mechanicals and not modern slot sellers were having their listings removed..... I don't know in this case whether his listings were removed directly by ebay or after being reported to them by a third party. I am sure from what he said, that he was stupid and misguided and that sellers who list once or twice would merely get a ticking off from ebay and a day or a week or maybe a month ebay suspension. However, it may indeed be a different matter for anyone, who as previous posters on this thread have eluded to, either continually list machines without any legitimate permit of their own, or use another ebay seller's legitimate permit details or utilise any Photoshopped permit details, may have some more serious sanctions being imposed on them.

GP
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Interesting that Facebook are now going through and removing all Slot machine groups as well .....the noose is getting tighter!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Ebay is getting worse, just had my account suspended for 3 days for listing an Oliver Whales allwin :(
yet there are loads of allwins on ebay for sale.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

That was a quick 3 days !PUZZLED!
Did you appeal to their better nature? !!THUMBSX2!!
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Is it someone here I wonder, who's advertising on eBay a table to hold your bandits!!!!!! It's loaded with bandits on top, I'm not convinced it's the table they are bothered about selling, but hoping to generate interest in the bandits on show!!!! If it works, I may try it too!!!!!

:lol:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Guilty your honour. Actually not selling the machines on cabinet but interested to see if it generates enquiries. I actually don't want to sell the cabinet either hence high price.

I did also list a stand with an Ascot on it as "stand only" but they pulled that.

I'm sure it's as battle of wits we can't win but it's nice that occasionally one gets under the wire.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I had to appeal to them and convince them it's a game of skill and was legal to sell.
woody2

Post by woody2 »

ads get removed because a few traders keep reporting them (i emailed ebay to ask)
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

widget2k4 wrote:I had to appeal to them and convince them it's a game of skill and was legal to sell.
Good man !!THUMBSX2!!
Lets hope they were taking notes of what you said :D
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

ads get removed because a few traders keep reporting them (i emailed ebay to ask)
Which is what some of us have always suspected
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Good on you, Jonesthegarage!!! I thought your idea was very creative... I had a Bullion pulled within the hour!!!, so as noted here it would appear that eBay is eliminating not only one arm bandits but also Allwins too.. Next it'll be the toy slot machines!!!!!

I know I've said it before, and also had a long debate with eBay about it, but what about all the modern Fruit machines that take current coinage still remaining for sale even without licence!!! Crazy Crazy World!!!!!!!
eBay got me beat... think I'll have to resort to Auction Houses... Thank heavens for Coventry and Elephant House!!
Without these Auctions how is our hobby/interests gonna be passed on to younger collectors... Not even Exchange & Mart is there for us!! lol