Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
jonesthegarage

Re: Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Post by jonesthegarage »

Yes, I noticed the past tense of what this particular fortune teller would reveal, but it did remind me of the old chestnut of the Fortune Tellers Booth on Blackpool Prom with a sign on the door saying "closed due to unforeseen circumstances".
moonriver wrote:Am I right in thinking the seller also makes replica machines and runs the vintage website vintagearcades.co.uk? .......... or is that just a coincidence !PUZZLED!
It wouldn't be that much of a coincidence as the seller is in Deal, Kent, and lo and behold a cursory glance at said website reveals a location of Deal, Kent. mmmm? Deal or No Deal?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Like I said earlier, the machine was on the vintagearcades website just before going on ebay
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Amazingly no negative ebay feedback yet for the seller. Maybe the buyer doesn't realise they got stitched up!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Or they are too embarrassed to go public ..... or ... it was only a shilling. ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It went for 310 pounds, which is enough for a pile of tat.
panda999

fortune teller

Post by panda999 »

Post merged - Site Admin.

The fortune teller in the lower picture was bought at a boot fair three years ago near Rye in East Sussex. Apparently the buyer, a lady from Deal, asked the people who run the Vintage Arcade site (also in Deal) if it could be advertised on their 'other machines' section. This was on for not much longer than a day or two, as the owner of the machine would not pay to advertise it, so it was withdrawn.
I myself have visited the workshop and found the workmanship excellent and could never see the owner making a rough cabinet like that. In fact, the working models are very good and made in cabinets in any finish you like. It was for the people who run the firm definitely a case of NO Deal!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

:lol:
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Hello,
I’m new to this website and have really only just started building a vintage arcade collection. I’m a little concerenend that the second picture posted on this thread is a machine I bought! (The one with the faded ‘H’ on the word ‘has’) I’m by no means an expert on these type of things but I certainly believe this to have significant age unlike the 3rd picture of the obvious fake. I was hoping someone could put my mind at rest that this is not also being considered as a possible fake? I have included pictures and I would be very surprised if this was a fake but as a newbie, I’m unaware how likely or often fakes of this type appear or the lengths someone would go to to make them appear genuine..
I do think over the years this machine has possibly been fettled up a little but it seems genuine to my admittedly untrained eye.
I have looked up the manufactures which is Argile Automatic Coy and they did make a few fortune machines and this one is ‘Mother Shipton’.
I think either way, I am happy I bought it as it is very unusual but I’m just hoping someone can tell me it’s not a fake? Please let me know what you think...many thanks.
Attachments
A7BDF0E4-DE66-4934-9150-35E090A14B0Ca.jpg
C2B4BB82-A037-4BE4-B1B0-675AB2BFC7D3a.jpg
74869435-AEBC-4ABF-8A7C-AF2218A126AAa.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Putting the original photo next to yours strikes me it's the exact same machine.
Clicking on image enlarges it ……

meurice-fortune2.jpg

Even at 2.00 am my fuddled brain doesn't think we were challenging the authenticity of that one, it was the other we were disappointed with.
I appreciate it was four years ago and we've all aged a lot more than that since 2014, but that's how I remember it.

BP !?!
Is it alright if I go up to bed now?
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you for your reply..
I do believe it is the very same machine and have to say that is a relief...I picked up a bandit yesterday and the seller was telling me about a fake version doing the rounds and I was in a bit of a panic that it could be mine...
On another note, if anyone knows where one could get the fortune cards this originally dispensed I’d love to restock it. Many thanks:-)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

To reassure you further, I've placed your machine in the Fortune Teller category of the Museum.
What size card does it take?
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you very much. That is greatly appreciated. When I learned there was a fake going around, I was concerned but I’m very relived to have the original:-)

I do have one card that fits which I believe to be from a palmestry machine that was also made by the same company at the time. The card measures 5.3cm by 3.3cm and is printed on fairly thick card.
I have included pictures. If anyone knows what would have been printed on the original ‘Mother Shipton’ cards perhaps a reproduction could be made. Many thanks.
Attachments
03B46484-AD03-476C-9480-5E93D752BC50a.jpg
53A645A9-5639-45A4-B335-FFD9DDD6CFEDa.jpg
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The fortune teller you recently bought was from a friend of mine and I have known this machine for 25 years. He had a very substantial collection started more than 40 years ago but sold most of it in 2000. I believe this was the last machine he kept. It is most likely to be made around 1900. Maurice were known for printing cards. They may have also made machines but this has the look of "a one off" machine probably for use in a public house. The Argyle name on the top is for a maker of fortune teller machines f a more substantial construction usually polished wood with printed glass or silvered card. They produced cards and machines from around 1900 to about 1920 and most likely brought out Maurice around 1900. The card you illustrate is from around 1930 and is nothing to do with either company. I will post some pictures of some originals soon but need assistance of my son to do so. When you bought this machine I understand you were given my phone number to contact about cards. I have not heard from you?

Regards the fake machine from Deal - this was resold at the Elephant House auction of 15/2/2015 for a hammer price of £90. Still about £70 too much in my opinion.
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you so much for your reply. You are 100% correct, the dealer did have a very large collection that he'd sold in 2000, which was reassuring that this was the original. I just wanted to clear this up as another dealer looked at a picture of the machine and was unsure if it was the fake or not. I was fairly sure it was genuine.
I was given your number by the dealer however on the way back I had somehow lost this in the van I'd hired before I'd had a chance to save it. I will try and send you a private message with my number and would very much appreciate it if the cards could be made or if originals can be found? Many thanks:-)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've updated the Museum entry to reflect Sweetmeats' observations and have tentatively attributed it to Meurice & Co. because their name appears on the large plate, lower front of the game. Is this enamel? I've also put the entry under your username djjfive, in case you wish to edit it or add more information.
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

This is correct. I have included a close up of the manufacturers name at the bottom. I was unsure of the maker as the plate above is from a different company but with this new information it is all falling into place now.
Attachments
7D273913-0636-4769-8A53-C53AA7D67F50a.jpg
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

The large plate at the bottom is behind glass, my best guess from the look of it is it's made from wood.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

My son is now home from work and can now add the fortune telling cards The first three are all Meurice and all late 1890s. They came with an old fortune teller with 6 drawers. I believe a picture is in the museum. If not, I will add it. It has a picture of Victorian postman and the second picture, and was made by Fuller of London. I brought it from Christies in London 20 years ago (where does the time go!) It contained about 150 Victorian cards, including about 50 Meurice cards in sets of ten. I have never seen a single card since. The sizes are 72 x 48mm.

Meurice2.jpg

Meurice3.jpg

Meurice1.jpg

The only other Meurice cards I have seen are a set of ten love letter cards for which very similar ones are also known by Argyle, supporting the idea that they took over J. Meurice's business.

The following pictures are Argyle mother Shipton style cards that may have been used in your machine. The silvered card is from a set of ten. I have seen all ten but only have six. The next two are folders: the red one is the only one I have seen; the green one I have a small number of. They both measure 70 x 60mm closed. Should anyone reading this have any cards early and/or unusual and interested in swapping please contact me.
Attachments
Argyle1.jpg
Shipton1.jpg
Shipton2.jpg
Shipton3.jpg
Shipton4.jpg
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you very much for that. That is fantastic if you ever want to sell these please do keep me in mind. Or alternatively, if you wouldn't mind reproductions being made then feel free to get in touch and we could perhaps come to a deal on that? I would love to be able to fill the machine with the original style of these cards. Many thanks:-)
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Nice fortune teller on eBay at the moment. £5000
Attachments
_20180916_123832.JPG