Peter Simper machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
alex74

Re: Peter Simper

Post by alex74 »

It's nice to read about these Peter Simper machines. It's nice that people have recollections of them. Also what comes over is what a happy ship it was there. People seemed to have really enjoyed working there.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

My recollection was playing the PS machines in the local pubs around Hedge End and Botley, Hampshire. The machines paid out a jackpot of 24 pence in 2p tokens and that would buy 2 pints of brown ale or bitter in those days. (1972 or 1973) In "The Dolphin" pub, the PS machine had a lot of plums on the 1st reel and a "wild fruit" symbol (printed on a red disc background) on the 2nd reel. The PS symbol was printed on a blue disc background. I think there was a criss cross payout with the PS symbols but this is stretching my memory a bit. Does anyone remember which machine it could be?
voyager2017

Reel Units

Post by voyager2017 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I worked for Peter Simpers at Bordon in 1970-73 and made the reel units. Where I was working was a room of three stages. The cards were all soldered by the girls using single core wire covered by a coloured sheeth. I always wondered how they knew where to solder their point. I suppose they must have used a jig of some sorts.

Once finished and tested for dry joints they would come to me for general assembly. I would then knock out about eight units a day, then they would each go across the room for testing. They would all be connected on the test bay to listen for noisy solenoids, by the way another product made by Bordon Electrical, before haing their fruit bands stapled on.

My boss was Neal Coates followed by John Smith and a dear old mate Sandy Sherridan who handled the testing.
The General Manager at the time was Terry Jenkins who was also one of my adversaries on the football field.
Peter Simper was in partnership with Mr Hardy the FIAT dealer next door.
romeo_22

Re: Peter Simper machines

Post by romeo_22 »

I worked for PS Bath from Feb. 3rd 1969 to Dec.1991 when they sold out to Stretton Leisure. I have fond memories of the years I worked there and the engineers I worked with. As others have stated, Simper senior was a great chap to work for. I was only sad he didn’t live longer to progress the company into the 21st century. I’d be pleased to hear from any people that worked there at the time I did. Eddy Priest. eddypriest@lineone.net
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I seen a couple on ebay. I had one a few years ago, very nice as well. Mine had a road theme with some traffic signs on the reels. To be honest, the cabinet looked more like a jukebox. I do believe that Simper did one off artwork on machines to suit where they were sited. I'm guessing mine may have been in a motorway services hence the road theme. Extremely well made and very reliable, certainly up with Bell Fruit in my opinion, but as mentioned, the electronics age killed them off and they were scrapped. The few survivors, I believe, were what some staff members managed to save. Great shame.
tony780

Post by tony780 »

Hi, just in case anyone's interested, I am selling an old PS machine that my dad left when he passed on. Needs some attention but somebody may be interested in it for parts/repair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143164003457
Attachments
s-l1600 (5).jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm fascinated by these PS machines. I have one, and it has real character. You can hear all sorts of things ticking away during play. I looked inside once, and it was absolutely PACKED with gear.

Yours is 275 miles away, which is the only thing stopping me bidding on it. There was a 'Wild Anchor' by the same maker on not long ago, which was even further away. I suppose they are liable to be in the South or South-West. I never saw them in NE England at the time.
spinnaker

Post by spinnaker »

chris rideout wrote: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:57 pm Does anyone remember which machine it could be?

Sounds like it could be a Spinnaker
Sounds like it could be a Spinnaker

Hi everyone!
Anyone have an idea how much a PS Spinnaker is worth?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Although hard to find, you literally couldn't give them away until a couple of years ago. Now there seems to be a small niche of interest which, if the condition of the machine is good, seems to push prices achieved up around £50 to £150. They look massively over engineered inside and a load of dry joints to contend with to keep fully working.

simperengineer

Wonderful Job

Post by simperengineer »

Happy memories,
I joined Peter Simpers, Milk Street, City of Bath during 1966. Thanks to my neighbour Ann Harrison, Peter Simper's secretary. I was interested in electrical gadgets and mechanical things ever since I can remember. I was mesmerized by the busy workshop and one arm bandits, juke boxes and pintables. I remember well Bud Holly, work shop manager, Roger Ghatley from 'upstairs', fellow engineers Roy Carpenter, Chris Powel, Dave Powell, - the Carpenters, John and ? name escapes me.

Anyway I just want to say that it was very interesting and I soon became a fully fledged engineer and was given a 1965 Green Ford Cortina,CGL 143 C, gosh I remember the registration... later a Silver Fox 1968 Cortina. Me and Chris Powel were very good mates/ I remember on one occasion in Bristol, he lent into the back of a machine fiddling with a relay and the "switch mech" at the top of the machine gripped his taupe and took it off his head...oh we did laugh. There were occasions when we gave a Landlord a hand full of tokens, and in return we had a pint of beer each. I hasten to add we never ever touched the coin boxes full of sixpences! Oh John Carey was a very jolly personality and collector. Mr. Simper senior was a very immaculate business man, very well respected and drove a beautiful Ferrari, to and from Duckmead House where he lived. Peter Simper Junior was a dapper kind of person who had to let everyone know who he was.

Later in life I went on to Rotork Controls, Brassmill Lane, Bath City. Peter Simpers taught me the foundations of becoming a good Electrical /mechanical Engineer in life. I later designed and invented my own Alarm System and called my Company Alert Systems Co. Ltd. A company "Telesurvelance" merged with me and together we were recognized by Police Central Stations all over the country. I have lived in the Philippines following retirement 18 years ago. Thank you for reading, it has been a wonderful career and life. I am now 73 yrs old, I enjoy flight simulation, the most realistic for reality ( Xplane11 ) and Art, water colors, landscapes....best wishes,
Martin
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I envy you your life in the Philippines. I bought a condo in Manila (Pasig) and had it for some years and loved my visits there. I miss it now that I've sold it.
highfield

Post by highfield »

Enjoyed reading your memories Martin. Thanks for sharing
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Great read and sounds like a great company to work for...
I remember the Peter Simper office at Heigham St, in Norwich when I was around 17 (I'm now nearly 60). It was a tiny shop that was manned by a lovely guy and great engineer called David Bailey. Dave sometimes would help me out when I needed some machine parts. He would also cover the Warners Holiday camps, his main one being Warners Corton near Lowestoft and when I was with my family on holiday at Warners Dovercourt he turned up to do a repair as he was covering for an engineer there also. He had brought along his wife and they stayed overnight. He also used to drink in my local pub, the Rosary, in Norwich and we used to spend hours talking about machines. He would tell me about the old school machines and the cam units and payouts etc and I would tell him about the latest Barcrest (mpu3) and JPM (system80) electronic technology... He lived across the road from the pub and he invited me 'round to see his pride and joy... a Wurlitzer 1960s Lyric Jukebox... It was the first time I had seen a jukebox in someone's home. I think he inspired me as now I have too many. :)

all the best .... Dicky

Post by Guest »

I just want to say what a fantastic website this is. Winding the clock back and seeing these machines and various names is absolutely fantastic. I have been absorbed by it.
Best wishes to everyone. Thank you so much for the trips down Memory Lane,
Regards... Martin P

Post by Guest »

I am 74 now. I worked for Peter Simpers during the sixties in Milk Street, City of Bath. I was a service engineer along with John Cowley, Dave Powel, and several others. Ann Harrison was Mr Simper senior's secretary, younger Peter Simper, his son also worked for the firm. John Cowley was one of the collectors, Bud Holly was the workshop manager. I enjoyed and loved the friendship and loved it.

Chris Powel from Coombe Down was quite a character. I remember once his toupee (hair piece) got dragged off into a switch mech on site. It caused great laughter. I have many stories to share and very fond memories indeed. I serviced Juke Boxes, Pintables and Fruit Machines. There was a beautiful one arm bandit made by Jennings and it had a brass Indian's Head on the front of the machine. Mr. Peter Simper senior was a quiet man and a gentleman. He had a beautiful red Ferrari. Wonderful days indeed...

Mr.Martin D. Pegrum