Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
raj

Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

Post by raj »

http://www.scarboroughfaircollection.com/

I had the chance to visit this excellent attraction today, situated between Filey and Scarborough. Housed in a modern complex, there are a number of fairground rides, steam powered traction engines, vintage cars and an impressive collection of fairground and cinema organs. £7.50 to get in, open Wed-Sunday. For the slotties, there are around a dozen allwins, working models, cranes, a merchandiser etc. The help wanted, in the title, is that half the allwins are out of commission due to faults, and they can't find anyone to fix them. I live too far away to call back, but if anyone nearby could get in touch and offer to help, I'm sure they would be grateful. Contact is 01723 586698
slotalot

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection...help wanted

Post by slotalot »

I have offered my services twice but they never got back to me :!?!:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Scarborough Fair Collection is where the majority of the allwins and other machines ended up from the gruesome twosome dodgy Ebay couple from Leicester who sold me a bundle of several machines and when I returned with van to collect them had resold the best two to this guy.

I was told at the time by them that everything was working, and having checked myself found that the majority certainly weren't working and some had parts missing. The Scarborough guy has certainly been stitched up and parted with a considerable sum of money (I know how much).

When later challenged as to the condition of the machines, the gruesome twosome (following their move to Skegness and having invested their recent windfall in a bed & breakfast guest house) made out they had recently split and no longer had transport, otherwise they would have been more than happy to drive up and get the machines going.

I have since taken comfort in winning the very last Ebay auction they did before leaving Leicester, which unlike all their others they pulled before the end I actually won a Kraft 'Haunted Room' (which they had run previously and pulled) - a rare machine and the very same one featured in Darren's book which I consider to be a bargain at £2,000.

It did take a friend to bid for me and weeks of wrangling including every excuse under the sun from them, but eventually got it collected with a carefully executed plan that Thomas Crown would have been proud of.

Someone less charitable than me would definitely have been browsing Skegness bed & breakfasts on Tripadvisor.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

That's a good read...... So have the ten allwins never worked since they were hung up because they have missing parts? Not a simple case of a coin jam then???? !PUZZLED!

I just looked on the link and cannot find any photos.... Has anyone got any photos?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Don't you get the magazine Jimmy? I did a story about it last year.. . !READ! with photos.. !!PHOTO!!

http://www.mechanicalmemoriesmagazine.co.uk
raj

Post by raj »

The staff said that they had all been repaired, but had failed over a period of time, suggesting that they should be complete.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I find that hard to understand as it has only been "up and running" for a few weeks, at best, if you take the Christmas shutdown period into consideration. !PUZZLED! I was there in November and they were still fitting the display out... It looks like a case of bodge it and !!ESCAPE!! .. lol.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Do you recall what month the story was in the magazine? !PUZZLED! Last year.... don't know how I missed that !PUZZLED! !WHOOPS! :woops:
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

This topic just confirms how difficult it is to set up and successfully run a penny arcade. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, my last exhibition ran for 15 months operating 50 odd machines all working 99% of the time. Few people would see the work going on till late hours of the night and the early starts. I do remember Mr slotalot mentioned the Scarborough fair collection when he called at mine and I'm very surprised they didn't take him up on his services! Just for the record Mr slot is one of the best all round engineers I've ever worked with. I hope Scarborough Fair read this post.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

chris roadhog wrote:Mr slot is one of the best all round engineers I've ever worked with.
I have to say that I agree. He has generously guided me through a few challenges - thank you!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Thanks for those kind words chaps :woops:
The cheque will be in the post first thing Monday ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

chris roadhog wrote:This topic just confirms how difficult it is to set up and successfully run a penny arcade.
I agree. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to your arcade before everything had to go into storage. It shows those who like the idea of operating their collection but never got around to it that it's incredibly hard to do so and make money (rather than doing it for love) on operating vintage machines alone.

The footfall and space required, combined with the commercial rent and rates just to be in a good location, plus costs, electricity, security, insurance, public liability, staff wages, before anyone even walks through the door (and of course the British weather to contend with during the season) is hard work. Unless heavily subsidized on rent, or teaming up with another successful attraction, the investment and running costs are hard to justify. I hope you find another good location soon.
As far as our Mr Slot is concerned - he's a real gem!
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

You've just hit the nail there Mr Moon! Next time I set up shop I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Ha ha OK. The trouble with that is none of them would spend any money!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

chris roadhog wrote:You've just hit the nail there Mr Moon! Next time I set up shop I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
Ready when you are Chris... :o
Attachments
10689504_886336258064770_1893905301627087160_n.jpg
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

HA HA! that is so funny mate, I can see you at the wheel cruising along. :HaHa:
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

By looking at their website, it looks OK but nothing in there to say anything about old allwins or working models or even one arm bandits but I suppose it's building on that. Looks like they have a good collection of old rides too. It reminds me of our place in Dingles. I'm sure some of you guys would love to visit us one day - loads of old machines in our penny arcade and loads of other machines scattered around too, including old pinball machines, but I must add that while there are over 70 machines in Dingles, and it gets packed out, trying to keep them running all day WHILST people put in different coins in the wrong slot and not the right coins is a very big challenge. But it's what I love doing to say the least.
chris roadhog wrote:I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
I WANT ONE - I'm loving that. :D
chris roadhog

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

Post by chris roadhog »

We visited Scarborough Fair yesterday and quite enjoyed it, they were having a tea dance and the OAPs defo having a ball!
Having invested millions into purpose built buildings filled with steam engines,fairground rides,vehicles,organs and a ballroom,why have an arcade displaying dead machines yet giving you the option to buy 5 old pennys for a pound?
Maybe a simple sign saying "display only" then if and when they get fixed it could be an added bonus to give a few pennys with your £7.50 admission charge? just saying.........
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good idea Chris, perhaps they'd also like to offer the admission refunded to any slottie prepared to have a shufty and unblock a machine?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Has anyone been to the Scarborough Fair Collection recently? I wondered if the penny machines had been repaired yet?