Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
raj

Re: Tripless Cascade...again

Post by raj »

The seller responded to me that he had a number of similar questions about whether it worked or not, but has not put anything on the ad. Anyway, the trips are £35 a set on this site.
They will fall off if the tension bar is released, which begs the question, if there a bar in place, or have the retaining bolts pulled out of the frame? Often the base is warped by overtightening and damp, so the pins and trips don't hold flush with the glass and they just fall off.
Buyer beware on this one, it might be an easy fix, but chances are there will be other parts missing.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I tried to check it in the auction but it was locked and no key.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Perhaps the trips are inside wrapped up in a nice baggie next to a tin of sovereigns. :!?!:
raj

Post by raj »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bell- ... 4ab732a61e
yes, it's back again like a bad penny, this time missing the bonus top trip...... :NBG:
minidaz

Bell fruit Cascade question

Post by minidaz »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

After spotting this on ebay :
Cascade penny slot wall machine
I've been doing a bit of reading on here, and looking at previous ebay pics, and I need help :D
cascade.JPG

I understand that quite often these have parts missing, so don't know from looking at the photos if this is complete or not.
If anyone could have a look at the pics and give me their views, that would be great.

Cheers
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell fruit Cascade question

Post by pennymachines »

Almost all present and correct - 11 trips, coin striker and coin validator (seen in the other picture), coin box too! The upper (female) bonus trip is missing - available in Spares.
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

Thanks for that pennymachines, that's very helpful, and also good to know that spares are available.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's astonishing how particular machines have increased in value at the same time as some prices have stood still or even dropped.

Jennings Governors are currently worth what they were fetching 15 years ago.
Clown Catchers, large allwins and Merchantman Cranes and Tinny Mutoscopes also.
Middle range bandits like Hi-tops, Mad Money and Clubmasters have risen no more than £100 in the same time.

It seems to me that English electro mech wall machines are having a good time at the moment considering that 10 to fifteen years ago they fetched less than a ton a time.

However the Bell Fruit Cascade, of which I have owned many a number and never paid more than £85 for is currently commanding over £300 with bits missing!
My flabber has never been so gasted ...... if only we could see the future eh?

BP
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

For someone new to actually purchasing these old games, knowing what to pay can be a bit of a mind field : complete, original, repro, spares / repair etc etc.
I do like the idea of a Bell Fruit Cascade, but feel at the moment, for me anyway, over £400 with the need to take it apart and buy bits to complete, is a bit too steep.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I am astonished - £410.10 after 25 bids :o
raj

Post by raj »

Fools' gold will always find a willing buyer. I suspect that the 'market' has found a new home for folding money for the time being. Last year it was Bryans 11s, before that it was Governors, and then there are Pinballs which fetch more than they cost when new.
It is not real, don't be fooled, the money will soon find another home and the lucky sellers of today will be able to tell their grand-kids how they made a killing in 2013 on old slot machines.
Remember the sports car 'boom' in the '80s when E Types tripled in value over a year, then crashed back after the new entrants, sorry, suckers, poured their hard earned money into them, Spanish and Bulgarian holiday homes that went the same way?.
Ask the obvious question, is a Cascade now worth £400+.......no way Jose ! :NBG:
jonesthegarage

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade

Post by jonesthegarage »

minidaz - walk away, walk fast and walk far. Someone will regret this purchase, make sure it isn't you. I'm not an expert but I've seen a few of these over the last few years and never seen one go above £200 fully operational.
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

Think it goes to show the power of ebay.
I once sold a used, slightly personalised, Low D Whistle (large penny whistle) for more than you could buy it brand new from the maker, who also had an auction on ebay.

A Cascade is something I'll be keeping my eye out for, but this auction's not for me. Good luck to the seller though.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Why not stick a post on the "wanted" section of the Market on this site? You''ve got nothing to lose. But for now, I think I'll list my Bradley Super Challenger on Ebay for a £1,000,000. Aah, the clank of 5 old pennies hitting the tray, far more satisfying than anything these lightweight 1p's can achieve. Good hunting.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very subjective topic. As Malcymal used to say, this is all down to having two people wanting it at the time. One of these sold last week for £360, so this one followed and has gone even higher and now another one of our fellow collectors has seen this and added yet another one. Trouble is, you miss the boat usually after this, a bit like the little penny chocolate vendor money boxes that went mad for a few weeks last year and now are not reaching £30....These Cascades have reached these prices before and are a popular machine due to size and have a wider appeal being on 1p.
mewdran

Post by mewdran »

Cascade Mech 2
Cascade Mech 2

Cascade Mech 1
Cascade Mech 1

Hello,
Although I've been a member for a while, this is my first post, so hello to everyone. My interest in the old slots, like most, goes back to when I was a kid playing on the machines in arcades up and down the east coast. I'm currently based near Vegas, Skegvegas that is, in Lincolnshire and there's not much I don't like when it comes to old slots and I'm quite looking forward to owning one or three machines :D In fact, I have my first machine already which is a Bell Fruit Cascade but, as you can see from the photos, there is something missing between the coin mech and reject button that makes the reject button work. Any advice, pics etc. would be appreciated. I know it's not important, but would still like to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.
Mick
Ps. I will sign the petition... honest!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Welcome there,

It is just a simple piece of metal attached to the mech that lifts it, as below. Should be easy to attach something.
Attachments
IMG-20130411-00151.jpg
IMG-20130411-00154.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Now if you want a bargain Cascade, you missed one at an auction in Yorkshire about an hour ago, a bit rough, but cheap at £30, although, as usual, missing all the trips....Thing is, is this a mongrel, as the cabinet is wrong, especially with a front coin entry or maybe it is a rare early version, leave it to you....
Attachments
cascade.jpg
mewdran

Post by mewdran »

Thanks for the quick reply Treefrog - much appreciated. I'm sure I can do something with it.
Just seen your new post about the Cascade you just bought. I've not seen one before in anything other than the normal cabinet with the red background. Also, I would have thought it wouldn't have the Cascade De Luxe glass if it were early, as I thought the de-luxe was the second string of the Cascades.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Trust me, I would not go to Yorkshire for this beast, would have thought this was a local purchase (slotalot ;-) ) .....Never understood the difference between the Deluxe and non version, unless, as you say, it is the period......