Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
terry

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade De Luxe

Post by terry »

Hi Treefrog. All coins that roll into the bonus column should be retained there by a vertical trip that is a different shape to the others. If the coins are running through your bonus column it sounds like your trip is either absent or the top piece is the wrong way round. When this column is full, the coins are then diverted into the overflow hole and from there to the cash box. If you get a coin into the far left win hole, it triggers a cascade (hence the name) of pennies from each column including the whole bonus column. I'm just about to piece my one together so let me know your email and I can send a photo or two if it helps.

These are simple machines which I believe derive from a 1930's German patent. I have very fond memories of playing one at the Blue Anchor hotel in Somerset as a child in the 70's so a Bellfruit Cascade is an essential machine for me to own!

All the best.

Terry.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Terry,

Perfect !!THUMBSX2!! , I noticed the bonus top trip has a slight angle and with the stop on the right and sloping to the left, there was nothing to support it, so taken off the panel, turned around the top trip and hey presto, it all works including the bonus when the far left win it tripped...

many thanks for your help, I agree this is great fun but so simple.....
terry

Post by terry »

I just pieced my Cascade together too and surprise surprise, found that my bonus trip was round the wrong way too! Some ingenious past owner had nailed all the trips with holes into place but obviously got that one wrong. I'd forgotten what a nightmare these machines are. You can't clear a jam or make an adjustment without pennies and trips falling all over the floor. All working now apart from the coin flicker keeps falling out as the shoulder screw holding it in place keeps untightening itself...aaargh!! :dammit:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Try a little ptfe tape around the thread
lukewells

Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by lukewells »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi everyone,

The final missing part in my Cascade machine is the coin flicker lever.

I would like to buy one if anyone has one available (a long shot I know!)

Alternatively if someone who has a Cascade machine could be so kind as to trace their part onto a piece of cardboard, I could probably get one made.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Luke.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by pennymachines »

The coin flicker levers (strikers) are often missing because they are held in place by a single machine screw. This goes through the slot in the striker and screws into a plate on the machine. The striker must run freely against the screw with the slot limiting its travel. The striker below was made to replace one that was missing.

The last picture shows how to arrange the trips you bought. Notice the top of the upper Bonus trip (where the coins stack against it) has a slight chamfer. You have to get this the right way around (chamfer sloping down to the right) or the coins can bounce past the trip instead of lodging above it.
Cascade picture here: http://users.powernet.co.uk/carlton/jukes/slots.html
Attachments
CascadeStriker1.jpg
CascadeStriker2.jpg
CascadeTrips.jpg
lukewells

Post by lukewells »

Thankyou kind sir for the information.

I should be able to get one made from that photo, but in the meantime if anyone has one for sale I am still interested

Many thanks

Luke
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

There is one for sale on ebay no. 170539826534
lukewells

Post by lukewells »

With the flicker missing it seems.
lukewells

Cascade wood finish?

Post by lukewells »

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Bell Fruit Cascade machine.

I have just finished stripping it down and sanding it (as the varnish was flaking and looked terrible)

Now that the woodwork is stripped, what would be the correct finish to apply making it look as original as possible?

Many thanks for your help

Luke
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Cascade wood finish?

Post by badpenny »

All the ones I've had have just been an oak varnished finish.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Cascade wood finish?

Post by pennymachines »

I'm not sure what the cabinets are made of - a dense-grained hardwood, possibly iroko, with similarly veneered ply front. Being a '70s machine, the rather thin matt finish might be polyurethane. I'd probably go for Danish or Tung Oil over diluted teak wood dye.
lukewells

Post by lukewells »

Hi gents,

Is there anyone on here that can reproduce these (they seem to be a very common missing item so I am not sure why they were not done along with the trips?)

Hoping to exhibit the machine a couple of times this year if I can get it finished, so please help me find one / reproduce one if you can. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I guess you will have to just make one as the cost in reproducing them probably is not worth it.....It might be worthwhile looking on the German ebay site, as there a number of almost identical variants which seem to have been a popular machine there where a hammer of a similar size may some available, I have seen the trips for sale on there. If one does come up it may be easier to modify if needed than from scratch.
treefrog

Not so complete Cascade

Post by treefrog »

Like the description of this Cascade on ebay at the moment
Here we have my penny cascade. I am moving to a smaller house so need to have a bit of a clear out. The cabinet is in great shape and has aged nicely, it has the odd mark and scratch here and there but nothing new so it all looks in keeping with its age. Inside is in good shape as well and seems to be complete and in working order
Apart from the missing coin box, it is also missing all the coin levers/triggers. I suspect it may have something to do with the missing pressure bar on the rear of the playfield, unless they are all in the payout cup... I wonder how this is "complete and working"

See what this goes for, as these machines seem to fetch high prices at the moment..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160754855378? ... 838wt_1185
Attachments
casc1.jpg
casc2.jpg
raj

Re: Not so complete Cascade

Post by raj »

I asked the seller yesterday how it works with half the parts missing & he responded, with attitude, !!GRUMP!! that he never claimed that it did work. I see he has now cleaned up his ad to be a bit more truthful. I have no end of machines that don't work either, if anyone wants to buy them ! only joking !!THUMBSX2!!
raj

Tripless Cascade...again

Post by raj »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bell- ... 4ab6e0baa7

The ever popular trip-less Cascade has reappeared again on a £250 BiN. Very little description except 'good condition' and 'Oak case' (not).
I have asked the seller if it works, so it will be interesting to see if I get a response!
daveslot

Re: Tripless Cascade...again

Post by daveslot »

This was actually sold at Charterhouse auction today at about 1 pm, listed at 2pm. Amazing!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It fetched £100 + buyers premium of 19.5% + VAT
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do wonder where all the trips go. I know they drop off as soon as you remove the play field and are a bugger to put back, but you would have to remove the bolts... There were some for sale ages ago in the market on this site. If they are available, it is a nice cabinet to make a good machine.