Bryans Grand National

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bryans Grand National

Post by badpenny »

brigham wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:13 am The horses are on a homebrew machine called 'Bryan's Grand National', there's a thread on it.
Oh yes so there is, I even commented on it and then promptly forgot ..... apparently !PUZZLED!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Conversions were quite a business in the '80s onwards. Last season's AWPs used to re-appear in twopenny form, with all-cash (lower) payouts.
Future collectors will find it difficult to obtain an '80s Line-up or Adders and Ladders in original form.
We'll probably end up with tips on how to re-convert them back.
The Bryan's Grand National is the first enthusiasts conversion I've seen, though.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd have said machine conversions were quite a business in the 30s/40s and onwards. Never mind the 80s
Caille, Tom Bolland & Firman later Günther Wulff machines were victims, and all before decimalisation lead to many being hacked about to further their lives.

Of course I'm talking about operators changing a machine's look to modernise it and give it more appeal and keep it earning.
We've all seen fantasy machines which may have had a mountain of clever work put into them, yet will always be no more than that. :cool:
brigham

Post by brigham »

Oh yes! I'm forgetting about Tom Boland conversions of what are now sometimes rare machines. One of my favourites was the Greyhound version of the Caille Commercial; I've only just found out that it was a conversion.
I've just spotted the give-away on the Bryan's Grand National re-vamp:- 24d!
Nobody EVER wrote 'two shillings' like that!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I believe the Greyhound game you're thinking of was made by Clement & Whales. Some of these may have been conversions from Caille machines but most, if not all, were probably manufactured by Clements. See this thread for more: Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines
thebentpenny

Post by thebentpenny »

Hello, I think the Bryans clock conversion is fantastic. Great idea - you have done a brilliant job! I love the paint job. Is it the same fleck that they used on the red Bullion? If so, where did the paint come from?
fruitbowl

Post by fruitbowl »

Hi, it's just standard oil-based red gloss paint, left to dry, then with a stiff brush flick on the black and white paint. A little practice required beforehand.
thebentpenny

Post by thebentpenny »

Hi, I didn't have a clue as to how you achieved the fleck effect, so thank you for letting me know. I will get some paint and give it a go. As you say, it will be best to practice first. If I can get it to look anything like yours I would be more than happy.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting conversion fruitbowl, how about a video of it in action?
perana5000

Post by perana5000 »

Looks very nice indeed.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I should imagine it will take money in an arcade, unlike a clock, as its looks fun and easy to play
brigham

Post by brigham »

I don't know how so many Bryan's Clocks were sold.
My main memory of them in the '60s was that nobody played them, and the same seems to apply wherever they are offered today!