EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
watlingman

Re: EH / Collector Connector sales

Post by watlingman »

Yawn yawn yawn 🥱 let’s see all the doubters get there stuff for sale on here and see how that goes!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Your last chance to become a Founder Member for LIFETIME SAVINGS!.......... . With statements like that it doesn't look good for the return of elephant house normal auctions... 🙄
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jimmy, it doesn't matter what anyone says today, tomorrow is a different day, with a different game under different rules.
Nothing is carved in stone.
I predict as soon as there is evidence that a way forward against Covid has been proven and all round confidence is renewed everything will change again.
Any takers on Cambridge making a resurgence instead of the Royal Town of L/Spa?
As for Coventry, I fully expect the combination of venue - furniture supplier - caterers - Misc. suppliers/contractors will have altered. Some will have gone bust and the logistics will need re-establishing. So where exactly in The Midlands is an unknown.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

jimmycowman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:36 pm Your last chance to become a Founder Member for LIFETIME SAVINGS!.......... . With statements like that it doesn't look good for the return of elephant house normal auctions... 🙄
A lot will ride on the success of the new service and people subscribing and staying subscribed. Steve puts a lot of time and effort into multiple video streams every week, carefully put together good quality videos for every item listed, as well as having written and maintaining the code of his website.........

I suspect there is room for both entities, just the monthly sale may not happen again......in someways this is good for me as I use to drive every time to the midlands and only buy something one in 4 or 5 trips, was getting expensive on time and fuel. Now only online, my purchases will be targeted to what I really want and not just hoping to pickup something on the day........

The social is a big loss and as I have said many times, still not a fan of blind auctions as there is not such thing as the right price.......
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Don't you think if you want to buy something on the new site you have to be a seller and a buyer at the same time naming a price out of the air? Not knowing what price your bidding against? Not just looked at the detail but is there a guide price (ball park) that you put your one and only top bid on??
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

jimmycowman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:47 pm Don't you think if you want to buy something on the new site you have to be a seller and a buyer at the same time naming a price out of the air? Not knowing what price your bidding against? Not just looked at the detail but is there a guide price (ball park) that you put your one and only top bid on??
Steve has linked old prices of similar machines where that exists to the listings, so you can see as a guide. Obviously prices vary hugely as well as condition. So it really comes down to how much you want a machine. By hiding what some else may have bid below you means you will never know if you wildly paid over the top, which most people would be worried about. Secondly if you bid £2111 for a rare machine and someone beat you by a pound you would be seriously pissed and the answer, well you should of bid more does not wash as you don’t get a chance. So in someways bad for buyer and seller.

It is what it is and I am sure based on success or feedback from more people it may change, but others may like blind bids........

I did tell Steve he should get up front from sellers what the minimum price they would accept, to ensure he does not get chancers sticking machines in that would never reach their price, I am sure he may review this if too many machines don’t sell, it is a waste of his time and downgrades the service. Only 6 out of 14 machines sold in last sale, and previous sale was a no reserve single owner lot.

Anyway, I think it is great someone has taken the time to set something up as we have nought until now since Nov 2019 !!THUMBSX2!! ......so I will use when I find time to dig out a few things and will continue to try and win things that I underbid on :lol:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I agree, it's not ideal, but better than nothing at all.
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I agree with much that has been said ,i have bid on some and lost and have one one in the last sale.
Well done to Steve for trying some thing new and all the money and time its has taken.
Please every one if you think its not for you ,have a go yourself with a live auction some were ,i am sure we would all come and surport your event.
lets hope normal life will return before to long.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

so, i am an occasional buyer so am i understanding this correctly?
I have to pay a £10 monthly fee to make an offer on an item?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

clubconsoles wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:06 am so, i am an occasional buyer so am i understanding this correctly?
I have to pay a £10 monthly fee to make an offer on an item?
You do, but you don't have to continuously pay. If you don't want to buy anything for a few months, let your membership lapse, & start paying again next time you want to buy or sell.
highfield

Post by highfield »

Waste of money
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

highfield wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 pm Waste of money
well if i don't make the winning offer, yes., it is!
Site is set up for people who buy and sell on regular basis.
its not good value for money if you only want to buy or sell a couple of machines a year!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

well you can always save your 33p a day instead and spend it on a newspaper, oh wait a minute no you can't, a newspaper is twice the price
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Two things bother me about this new system. Not advertising the minimum bid to be in with a shout of winning. for example, 9 people are interested in a machine which the seller has put a £1000 reserve. all 9 blind bidders pitch bids ranging from £500 to £700. When the sale ends, not a single interested bidder gets anything, but have all blown £10 each. If the machine appears the following month do they invest another tenner and up their bid by a hundred or 2, another months waiting... and STILL no one tops the reserve!!!! Surely, it'll be better to list beside the photo of the machine a tag such as.. Offers over £900 or so!!!
Secondly, how transparent will it be that your bid was close to the under bidder? From what I can gather, Steve says that if you bid 800 and the under bidder 400, the seller had a reserve of 300, do you get the machine for 401, or do you still have to pay your maximum offer of 800 even though the closest under bidder was 400 below you? How transparent will Steve be, by law he doesn't have to prove anything, but just sell the machine for the full 800 and just tell people that there were a couple of under bidders who were close to your 800... Who's to know? It was a blind bid! Thats why I don't favour the "cloak & dagger" idea of blind bids.
Don't get me wrong, I think what Steve has built is a fantastic piece of development work (being a programmer myself I understand the amount of work he's put in), just not sure the concept will work.. sadly!
frayle

Post by frayle »

I can't see what the issues are with this new 'system' of buying. You see a machine you like; you go and see it, or take a chance on its condition being as you expected.
You then decide what it's worth to YOU, and you leave the appropriate bid. You then either get it or you don't. The fact that the seller might have accepted x hundred pounds less, or that the nearest other bid to yours was also way less is just irrelevant.
You have just bought a machine you wanted at a price you were happy to pay. So be content with that and don't concern yourself about what might have been if you'd paid less, or someone else had offered less, or if the seller might have let it go for less!

Really the end result is not much different to leaving a 'commission' bid at a 'normal' auction house. You might leave a bid of say £500 for an object, and very often the auctioneer might open the bidding at your offer, even though it may well be the only bid in the room. I know they are supposed to start at a lower level so that in theory you could pay less if there was no competition but that never seems to happen to me.
If I win an item bidding that way I always seem to pay the amount I left on it!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's a sealed bid system, place your bid, if you're the highest ( over reserve) you win. If you start worrying about who was the underbidder and how much did they bid, and 'have I paid way more than I could have?' then don't bid. I don't think Steve did himself any favours by volunteering how far away the underbidders were the first time round, as he has no obligation to do so.
Most on here know the average price of the machine they're interested in bidding on. If you really want a particular machine, make a realistic bid in the first place, (because I doubt Steve would allow an unrealistic reserve to be placed ) or if you really really want something put your 'can't be beaten' bid on.
Anyone putting up low bids hoping they might sneak a bargain often won't work since many seem to be doing exactly the same thing, and if you really want to chance that then the cost of doing so is £10

*Oops I was beaten to reply
brianh

Post by brianh »

Just to add to this topic I did make quite a few "absentee" bids when the Elephant House was operating and always bid the highest I was prepared to pay. In all but one of those bids, if I won the item it was at a lower amount than my ceiling so that, to me, was a fair battle just as if I had been in the room. As Steve operated that system successfully at the EH, then I would think the same could be done with his new site. I think this would encourage a lot more bidders, so earn him a lot more £10 fees.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

TOOOOOOOOO many people worrying about paying to much you either leave your best bid and walk away, its £10 to try how about the cost of driving to the elephant house then being forced really to buy something just to say it was worth while going and not coming back with what you went for in the first place! !!VIOLIN!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

If you aren't concerned about 'paying more than you could have', then you might do better dealing with a retailer, rather than visiting an auction.
I'm only familiar with used car auctions, and the notion of leaving a sealed 'offer' (not a 'bid') is totally alien to me.
In fact, I'm not sure it actually constitutes an auction at all!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

moonriver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:16 pm well you can always save your 33p a day instead and spend it on a newspaper, oh wait a minute no you can't, a newspaper is twice the price
Good point.
I guess i am coming across as a bit tight?
I dont mind a tenner at all if i buy it lol.