Pot Metal repair

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
arrgee

Pot Metal repair

Post by arrgee »

BP - you may recall that we were talking at Coventry about repairing pot metal and you mentioned that you had found some very good resin, do you have the name of this 'stuff' !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Pot Metal repair

Post by badpenny »

I certainly do remember.
The last one I used was Gorilla. It was fine. The only thing I didn't like was the two syringes actioned by pressing one plunger.
Due to the mixer being a different density to the adhesive they don't come out in equal measures, which for this stuff is essential.

There are several like this on the market. I've learnt that apart from the double syringe versus two separate tubes they are marketed as being either "Cures in only an hour" or "Fully cured in 24 hours". Go for the latter every time.
If you have cracks or delamination fill those first with a small paintbrush or tooth pick, and then 24 hours later overlap with further coats. Building it up and letting each application cure first gives best results.

A bit like body filler on a car, it's more effective if you over smear it and then sand back once fully cured.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Can't beat Araldite. :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Araldite is good, didn't they used to have a picture on the box of an Austin 1100 swinging from a crane?
Like I said just ensure you go for the 24 hour to cure version.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The Araldite being to repair the rear sub-frame mounting panels!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Many moons ago I had a high performance motorbike (BSA Gold Star DBD34) and following a ton plus burn-up on a local road I stopped at a friend's house. After an hour I tried to start the bike again only to find that the engine had seized. When I stripped the engine down it turned out that the clot who owned the bike before me had used Araldite to mend the big end casing that had cracked. :shock:

Stupid sod....... (the bloke who mended it, not the bloke who was almost mince meat owing to a seized engine at 100mph.)

badpenny wrote:Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Thanks BP, information not for me but a friend who is doing some repairs - will pass this info on. !!CHEERS!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Luckily there aren't too many bits in a slot machine that have to endure the stresses and strains of 100 mph. :NBG: