Stripping down Beromat mechanisms

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
sutton

Stripping down Beromat mechanisms

Post by sutton »

Topic split from Revamped Beromat-type Bandits and moved - Site Admin

I was wondering has anyone rebuilt a Beromat mechanism - complete strip down etcetera and if so, was it fairly straightforward? I have three Beromat machines but none seem to pay out as they should. Do other people have this problem? thanks ... !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Stripping down Beromat mechanisms

Post by badpenny »

There are issues in a total strip down on a Gunther Wulff.
One is that many of the otherwise adjustable connecting rods/levers are also pinned into position. Removing steel pins from Mazak is likely to end in tears.
The other is the alloy that is known as Mazak/Zamal/Monkey Metal or Pot metal which forms 98% of the mechanism. You are likely to find that being held in torsion (or is that tension?) is what's stopping it from bending or delaminating. After you've dismantled it you may find bits that should be straight are now banana shaped.

If your issue is payouts, then you probably don't need to strip down as such. It's quite a common problem with them.
Describe what is happening ......
Is it always paying two coins whatever the result?
Does it pay nothing whatever the result?
Does it pay maximum whatever the result?
Is it something else?

BP :cool:
sutton

Post by sutton »

Hi BP thanks for your reply. It seems each machine has a small problem but the machine that I'm looking at at the moment pays out okay but when the centre reel shows a cherry it should pay two coins, but does not. Maybe if I had some spare reel strips I could just cut out a lemon and stick it over the top. I'm sure this would be a simple solution.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I had this issue, I can't remember the exact method I used, but the gubbins that stops each reel (there are three of them that move into a cog on each reel. The cog slots have different depths corresponding to symbols - payout feelers if you like, and how Ballys pay out, except they use circuitry, but the same principle). You could put sewing machine oil on each one. I think there is a hole on each one to put oil in. I just lightly moved the stop back and fourth to loosen it up then experimented by giving it a bit of a push from behind. Maybe half a mm travel and then the 2 slide paid out. Even now the 2 slide appears to not pay straight after the cycle finishes then a few seconds later there is a tiny plink and the 2 coins come out. It's not a positive slide clunk, but a pathetic plink.

p.s. I believe these are the areas you need to head for! Lubricate these up (light sewing machine oil only and tiny bit too!) and see if this makes a difference. I seem to think there are adjuster nuts on there too. Sorry to be vague but my machine is currently in storage and I can't get to it, but this is a photo of innards I had to hand. Malc
Attachments
Inkedromainners2_LI.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Malc ….
That's an interesting take you have on the mech there.
The gubbins that stops the reels is not the same one that detects the payout.
The three levers you're pointing to in your photo are the reel spinners.
The holes you're indicating aren't oilers, they are the pins holding the levers in place.
Apart from that you're spot on !THUMBS!

These mechs have three sets of three levers
The bottom set spin the reels
On the top are two more sets, one set is staggered and drop one after the other, they are the stops.
The other set drop together and go into the staggered pay out discs.

When pay outs start to mess up …..
First look at the mech from the back.
Locate a lever on the far left above the pay out tube. This lever has a quadrangle shape to its end and a see saw fulcrum with a vertical rod at the back. Above the quadrangle end it is actuated by a dropping arm (attached to the same axle the pay out leavers mentioned above) it uses a small metal wheel to connect to the quadrangle.

Staying with this lever as it is critical to not paying out enough as well as paying out when it shouldn't.

If you play the machine and then stop the cycle as soon as the reels are spinning (You do this by putting something under the arm at the other end connected to the clock as it goes down) The reels will then roll to a stop. Now go to the lever at the left with the quadrangle end that must now be really loose so you can waggle it up and down with your finger. If it's not then that's your problem.

Get that far and then report back …… alternatively drop it off to me in Rugby, and I'll talk you through it while showing you.

malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well I was vague, haven't had that machine out for some time. It's the three stops above, doh.. Sorry, mine was something to do with the arrowed images in the photo. Lubricated on the shaft on all three (the black blades going into the various cog depths for payout). The two payout then started to work by easing them back and forth.
Attachments
Inkedromainners3_LI.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I was going to mention the need for that top axle to be well lubricated and loose after the OP had tried to get his head around the surfeit of gobbley gook in my previous mail.
If it's not then it doesn't drop far enough or quickly enough to interact with the quadrant lever before the end of the cycle.
They're buggers these Germans.

vincent16

Post by vincent16 »

I recently picked up a Lucky Strike Beromat conversion and I'm having trouble with the payout.
It goes through phases of either paying 2 coins every time or paying out nothing at all.
I don't know much about these machines, but it appears that someone has sped up the clock; the cycle is nowhere near 15 seconds, so I wonder if that may be the problem as per BP’s comments.
I’ve also checked the lever attached to the vertical rod as per the comments above and if I stop the cycle, it moves freely.
What should I be checking next? Should I be setting the clock cycle back to 15 seconds and how do I go about that? Any help, much appreciated.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The timing won't affect it. I normally unwire the governor to return to 15 second play simply because I prefer it.

Random 2 coin drops is likely to be the rod you refer to.
Although you say it's loose when playing, there may be a bit of wear and it's not dropping in behind the bottom slide when resetting. I expect the random drops are happening immediately after a legitimate one.
Does yours have a metal weight attached to the rod? They don't all have them, but they do help the rod to return to bottom on reset.