Post lost after submission

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
gameswat

Post lost after submission

Post by gameswat »

Topic split & moved - Site Admin.

BE WARNED!! I just spent 2 long hours doing very detailed research, photo adding and writing for a new post. When I tried to preview all the photos it turned out I wasn't already logged in, but after logging in it returned me to a blank Post A Reply page!!! Never been an issue before! !OMFG! :cry: :NBG: :evil: !PUNISH! :dammit: !!JUNK!! :smash: !!SUICIDAL!! '!' :oops:
gameswat

Re: Post lost after submission

Post by gameswat »

Not sure if these are just recent update issues or not. After spending a couple hours last night putting together a complex new post I went to preview but was told I hadn't logged in yet, which I rarely ever bother to. But after logging in it sent me back to a completely blank Post A Reply page! !!JUNK!! :smash: :dammit: !!SUICIDAL!! '!' :evil: :oops: And after 5 mins of going back and forth in my history was impossible to recover any of it.....

Then twice after that i tried to post a quick cautionary tale as above, but both those never showed up on the forum?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm very sorry to hear that - I feel your pain.
Bryans Fan mentioned recently that he was being logged out between sessions. I'll have to investigate.

As for your above posts not going live, I think it's because I currently have the Announcements restricted to Admin with other posters needing approval to go live. Anyway, I've now 'released' your posts and moved them to the Feedback category.

Currently I use Firefox addon Form History Control (II) to avoid such catastrophes.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

pennymachines wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 pm
Bryans Fan mentioned recently that he was being logged out between sessions. I'll have to investigate.
All works fine on my android phone, but not on Windows 10 using Chrome . !PUZZLED! :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sadly now that Lazarus has stopped being useful as a form recovery app this is a problem and not just on this forum.

Being a sad git I I also contribute to canalwod.net and PVCheaven.com, if I anticipate contributing more than a couple of lines I do a draft in Word (actually I use Open Office as I object strongly to paying hundreds for a Microsoft Office licence when Open Office is free and almost compatible)

Then I paste and copy onto the forum, then if it all goes breasts vertical then all I have to do is paste again and add the photos.

BP :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Sadly I'm more of a stream of consciousness type of poster BP. It started out as just a quick 5 min job about something of interest I found on a workbench while cleaning up......but after way too much thought as I wrote it just grew. And I have lots of exciting projects on the go right now so really didn't plan on wasting that much time.......Was a hell of a post though, surely a dead certainty for the all-time top 10 list. :burp: :shock:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Sympathize with you GM, I had a similar experience a while ago but before I took any action I selected the whole text and copied it to the clipboard, when I returned I pasted it into the empty box.

Having lost some important files many years ago, I go overboard with back-ups and cautious procedures through the world of electronic wizardry.
dirtdog
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Had similar happen - it's never on a short post though. You just lose all motivation to type it out again.