Shefras Double Diamond allwins identified

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
arrgee

Shefras Double Diamond allwins identified

Post by arrgee »

Interesting item on ebay at the moment - 9 cup allwin with football theme. It has two different win options. Turn payout knob one way to win sweets, turn knob other way to win coins.

Do not recognise manufacturer. Anyone seen any of these machines before? Have to say that it all looks a bit cluttered and 'squeezed in' at the bottom.
Attachments
doublediamondebay.jpg
john t peterson

Re: Double Diamond Allwin

Post by john t peterson »

It looks like a Whales case to me, but after that, it's a puzzle. More interesting I think is the picture of the interior mechanism. The exterior case shows the sweets dish being off-set to the left and the coins off-set to the right. The picture of the mech shows a sweets dispenser centered on the door. There is no visible coin tube nor any manner by which this phantom tube would be replenished with the coins played, as is the case with the standard allwin. Is it possible that the picture published is not correct?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John, my first impression of the case was Oliver Whales but the window above the door on OW cases were always much more angular, this has pronounced 'rounded' internal corners to the window. I have never seen one shaped like this. However, the hinges, coin entry slot and lever all appear to be very similar to OW.

I have looked at the internal mechanism again and attach a photo. There are two lever arms in the centre of the door, set at an angle to each other and appear to terminate around the position of the pay-out knob, the sweet dispenser is to the right, the coin tube is also there, so it all appears to check out ok.
Attachments
double diamond 3.jpg
john t peterson

I agree with you, Arrgee. The case is not exactly Whales but I thought it was the closest choice. Regarding the mechanism, the plot thickens a bit. Below is the first photo of the of the mechanism that was originally posted with this machine. I think it demonstrates my previous concerns. Either someone notified the seller or he realized his error and corrected with the proper photo, the one you attached above. It does show the correct mechanism. This game is a unique model that I have not seen before. I have seen those offering the choice between a coin or cigarette but not the coin-sweet model. This is a "sweet" game as we would say here in America. (Well, some of us would say that; those about 40 years younger than I.)
Attachments
c6fa_1.JPG
john t peterson

In the interest of truly beating this horse soundly, I looked more closely at the new mechanism. The dispenser on the right is not a candy dispenser, it is a cigarette vendor. So, this is the more common penny-cig dispenser. I'm going to sit down now and have a nice cup of tea. It may help stop my hyperventilation. :???:
JC

Post by JC »

I'd say this is a Kraft machine. The case is very similar to Extrawin and Crackerjack. (Actually, it has been questioned by some whether Kraft actually made any allwins, and that all so called Kraft machines were actually Machine Mart. There was certainly a connection between the two).
Anyway, back to Double Diamond. A friend has a much older version - probably 1930s, and I have a machine with exactly the same backflash as his, but without the coin/fag feature. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

Jerry
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I rediscovered this post whilst researching Amusement Machine Mart (Shefras).
Jerry's correct - Double Diamond was made by that company in 1953, as the old advertising sheet proves (see MMM issue 48 and here in Resources).
I'll send the results of my little Shefras round-up to the mag.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thought I would add a picture of another version a 20 cup giant Allwin of the Double Diamond De luxe. Looks to maybe have lights to indicate the prize selection in the corners. Nice looking machine and was on eBay for £500, then £1000 and then taken off, obviously an off site sale….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pachinko-Mac ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
0002D980-2983-4CC0-9351-EDF5980FF0FEa.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

As you say tf, a nice looking machine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think this Top Score Winner that finished on eBay for £620 the other week may be from the same camp. With double diamonds and similar football characters.
Attachments
C91CA2AB-84A5-423F-AEDB-153CD509F8A6.jpeg
0E237CA7-9804-40C4-B62A-E0DF734327C3.jpeg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Yes, saw that tf, although the door looks odd. Note the top right corner moulding against the glass is different compared to the left, and the bottom rail looks to have been altered. There is an unusual cogged wheel on the payout axle similar in design to a clock escapement wheel. I have only seen this once before on a sweetie allwin (recently posted).
Attachments
sweetie allwin.png