Searching the site

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
treefrog

Searching the site

Post by treefrog »

I know I spoken directly on the topic, but I am struggling more and more to find old posts or relevant information posted previously. I know there is a limit on short words and also now common words, not sure what the limit is, but this is becoming more challenging. For example a week ago I was able to search Wonders List for the useful page covering all the Wonders machines, but now falls under the common search. I have tried google searching the site and its no good, with poor results. Also there is a advanced search function on the top left with a broken link, but behind that a advanced search. This does come back with short words and different results, but not complete which I have tested on a few pages. Headings are not included in search results as well.

It is getting to the point where potentially historically information will become useless and more of a blog. Also I for the likes of the Wonders list this is what I was referring to which could be in a structured location (database) where you can select or search by manufacturer. Currently the Museum area there are endless lists of pictures of all types of for example Allwin on no order or structure.

Remember all this is open feedback and not criticism, as I beleive one of the biggest values of the site is the data stored in it..... !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Searching the site

Post by pennymachines »

Hi TF - thanks for the feedback - it's very useful.

Most of the problems you're encountering with searches I'm very much aware of.

Firstly the universal site search (flag, top left of menu) is currently disfunctional. I upgraded the software last year, spent many hours fine tuning it but ran into some technical issues which the developer was unwilling to help me troubleshoot. I eventually lost patience with him and abandoned it in December, but intend to return to the project when time allows. It would be an important asset in making the site's various resources accessible. For one, it was the only means of searching the Arena. It also made every area of the site searchable from a single place and provided an alternative to the Forum native search, for example.

I've noticed the problem with the Forum's native search. In fact I tried exactly the 'Wonders List' search you describe. As you say, it's become too restrictive in what it will index. This is already earmarked as an issue to tackle.
treefrog wrote:Currently the Museum area there are endless lists of pictures of all types of for example Allwin on no order or structure.

This is the only part of your comments I don't follow.
In the Museum, allwins are confined to the Allwins category and are ordered alphabetically by machine name. If you wish to find all allwins in the Museum made by Wondermatics, click Makers. You are presented with a list of allwin makers. Select Wondermatics and you get a date-ordered list of Wonders allwins with links back to the individual Museum entries.

Alternatively, you can use the Museum's native search engine, an entry field for which appears on every Museum page. This executes a comprehensive search of the Museum database. A search of 'Wondermatics', for example brings up all nine machines currently in the Museum, plus a link to the aforementioned page about Wondermatics and their products.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Got it, on the categories side. Is there any reason we cannot just copy existing pictures from the forum to the museum and add relevant information? Do you have to moderate or perform some activity for these to appear?

Thanks for the efforts to improving things.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No, there's no reason not to do that. I've already done some myself. It puts the information into a more ordered format than is possible with a forum.

Well taken (tripod, focussed, no flash), decent resolution pictures with uncluttered backgrounds are ideal of course, but I can upgrade images as and when they become available.

The Museum works just like the Forum: i.e. users of the site can post directly to it. If you're logged in, your post is published automatically. Unregistered users can also post, but their contributions have to be moderator-approved to go live.

For the manufacturer links to function the name has to be exactly as written on the maker's pages, but it's easy for me to correct them.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've changed the Forum's native search settings and re-indexed so it no longer ignores commonly used words. A search for 'Wonders List' now yields results! !!YIPPEE!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Fantastic, thumbs up that man !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx** !!THUMBSX2!!

Finding things can resume |/XX\|
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

See New Improved Searchbox for latest improvements.