Coin mech and timer for working model help please

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
classicgambler

Coin mech and timer for working model help please

Post by classicgambler »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Hello guys n gals been a long time since ive been here, anyway ive started to make a working model called air wardens dream for our museum. the thing is i have various items that i would like to wire up together and get working so to speak, i have created a air raid shelter and once done the roof lifts up and you can see what looks like a ( Pub ) bar and then the roof comes down end of model. now i may sound a bit thick but i need to wire everything up, the coin mech, timer board, motor, light, and possibly audio, is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction as to how i can get all wired up into one please. oh and the power supply is 12v :) photos to follow very soon.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: coin mech and timer for working model help please

Post by badpenny »

To be honest, I think you need to study up and get yourself a working knowledge of the nastiness that is electricity.
I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving you a working plan to follow that could kill you, your customers or burning down the rest of your museum.
Until you have a sound understanding of: -
AC versus DC
Amperage/Wattage
Step down transformers
Resistors
Capacitors
Wire gauges and colour coding
In line versus parallel
Earthing
Fuses
Relays
Solenoids
Electric motors/gear boxes and cams
Differing voltages and controlling them safely in close vicinity.
How to use a meter ……… and many more things that don't immediately spring to my mind, but I'm sure do to the minds of others here.

It's unlikely you'll be successful ….. pain free ….. safe or even get through the PAT, let alone be assured of not null and voiding your necessary insurances.
By the time you have that working knowledge then in all likely hood you would be able to construct your own.

However good luck, and leave the dangerous stuff to those that have taken (probably) years to get there. You want to sleep at nights don't you?

BP :cool:
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

i understand what your saying BP but i think that there is what you said is common sense to be honest i have NO intentions of starting fires or for that matter getting a very large bolt of electricity i have a book on automata how to make cams and alike all i asked was for a little help in anyone with some help as to how i can do this. i have NO intentions of wiring it all up flick the switch and hope for the best to be honest like i said in my post i have the coin mech, i have the timer board, i have a power supply which is adjustable, i have a single light and a DC motor 20rpm. but if needs be i can leave out the audio too. so like i said i just needed a little help to be honest.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm not aware of anyone who has ever wired up anything with the intention of causing a fire, but it still happens.
As for common sense, I've found that's a bit like deodorant, it's rarely used by those who really need it.

I think you'll get what you need more sensibly if you propose how you intend to design your schematic and construct it before asking those who are prepared to get involved as to its efficiency and safety.
Otherwise you're just asking others to do it in its entirety and possibly carry the can if you don't understand why an electric motor benefits from a capacitor or isn't satisfactorily constantly rated.

Like I said, good luck

JC

Re: Coin mech and timer for working model help please

Post by JC »

Why do you need a timer? There should be a dedicated cam in the mechanism that will control the machine's cycle.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I'm all for anyone having a go at making something, especially if it happens to be a working model!
As you have indicated you intend to use low voltage so I don't share the concern of causing a fire.
Generally a traditional design of your model should include an element of fun and surprise within it rather than just a reveal ( lid lifting and then lowering again), and other things/figures within, which should ideally move and interact.
Another thing to consider is making easy access to the mechanism , one that slides out or lifts out so as to be able to work on it independently of the case, say on a table top is a good idea.
Post some pics of your model here, and work out a short sequence say 30 to 40 seconds run time of what you'd like it to do.
Note the best models have some unexpected twist to them within the cycle which is the fun part to design and then think about how to make it operate.
A bit of diversity on here such as the recently posted excellent jets wall machine and your working model project should be encouraged.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

moonriver wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 am I'm all for anyone having a go at making something, especially if it happens to be a working model!
As you have indicated you intend to use low voltage so I don't share the concern of causing a fire.
Excellent support there.
classicgambler wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:36 pm so like i said i just needed a little help to be honest.

Let's do it then, what little help do you need?

brigham

Post by brigham »

This is an excellent subject. What scale are you using? Is it the usual 'crane' size, or larger?
You will want to use audio, I think. The Air-Raid warning, followed by bangs and flashes, then a knees-up piano, for when the 'pub' appears.
A main camshaft for the basic sequence, same as a crane, would be the 'normal' way to do it. I would be adding relays to control the sound and lighting effects. (That's because I like relays, though).
An Essex-type coin accepter is much more satisfying than a simple slot, in my view. Especially if it latches in, and only flies out at the end of the game, with a crash!
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi I would use cams. I have built dozens of working models over the years & made hundreds of mistakes, some very costly. We had to have someone to do the electrics as they had to be pat tested. I have a plan of the electrics somewhere. I also have a few solid brass coin entries which is use on most working models. You can see a couple of my models on Utube. Pete.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

luckystar wrote:You can see a couple of my models on Utube. Pete
Link please Pete ?. !!JUNK!!
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi If you type in The Burglar coin operated working model you will see the Burglar & the night Watchman. It seems the Drunkards Dream & the haunted house have vanished. You can also see the Footballer i made a few years ago, kids really love that. There are also short videos of our arcade in operation at some of our shows. Pete.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »