Reproducing foil allwin Win Lose labels

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
gameswat

Reproducing foil allwin Win Lose labels

Post by gameswat »

Copied from First timer to the forum, first time Allwin owner! HELP! Site Admin.

I remember seeing embossed foil tabs for sale in the UK years ago but they were quite expensive so I never bought any, especially as I've needed hundreds of the bloody things! Can't help you with the embossing but real foil backed decals and tabs are not too hard to make at home. Just head down to your local office supply and buy a pack of the Clear Adhesive Labels paper for printers. You will need to mess around with the brightness and intensity of the colors and ramp them up as they print semi transparent on the clear decal paper. After printing your art then carefully lay out a large enough section of aluminium cooking foil shiny side up, or down if you need a more matte finish for something. I tape the corners down pulled tight and usually buy a brand new roll so it's super smooth. Then the fiddly part is carefully laying the sticker over the foil so as not to get any wrinkles. Worth experimenting but easy once you have the technique down. I cut the waxed backing paper in the middle and work out each way rubbing down the sticker with a soft rag. On the prewar machines I use some slightly darker blue lose tabs and faded red win ones, brighter for the 50's machines. I also age them for older machines by painting over slightly with wood stain and shellac. Hard to photograph but good shine from the foil.

I actually own a big pile of original NOS Win tabs but the silvering is buggered! And in an envelope dated 1955 addressed to someone named Mr O. Whales. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
win loser.jpg
o whales tabs.jpg
arrgee

Re: Reproducing foil allwin Win Lose labels

Post by arrgee »

gameswat wrote:buy a pack of the Clear Adhesive Labels paper for printers

If you can't find clear labels then 'Transtext' works just as well, although they are usually packaged in A4 sheets.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

O Whales? Must be Irish.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What is interesting, is that an anagram of Oliver Whales is....... 'a lowish lever'........ very appropriate.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

The usual problem with printed colours is that the inks don't fade at the same speed. Yellow fades fastest while magenta only fades slightly. Cyan in most cases seems to be immune from fading. Look in shop windows at displays that have been there for months and you will notice a blue tint caused by the lack of yellow. Strangely enough, my HP inkjet printer inks seem to be unaffected by sunlight. Coloured paper often fades as well, and very quickly, to boot.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

You have to seal the stickers after printing with something anyway so the trick is to buy a buy a decent quality clear lacquer with UV resist properties.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

this is the best one available in the Uk,its a fixer and UV protection, I use it on over 100 award cards,reel strips,logos and top glasses per year and its never let me down.The secret is several thin coats

ink jet spray.jpg
ink jet spray.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 7294 times

lankylad

Post by lankylad »

I have bought Avery Clear Address Labels but the shine of the aluminium foil is not showing through. Could I be doing something wrong?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Not sure Lanky? Try the foil matte and shiny side and see if that matters with your clear? Also as a test try a clear piece of sticky tape on the foil and see if that shows ok. I don't know that brand of clear you used so can't help you there.