Finally found a good source of chain

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
yaksplat

Finally found a good source of chain

Post by yaksplat »

For anyone that is restoring a digger, you know how hard it is to locate chain that matches what is originally in the machine. Or I'm just really horrible at trying to the correct chain. Even when I talked to Jim Roller, he stated that the closest that he was ever able to find, was a chain that was far too thin, but it was the best available. I had purchased the chain that he specified, and I'd agree, it was too thin. The links would easily break if they were stressed in any way, and it was way too light. You could feel that the crane needed a heavier chain when it swung around too easily.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the source that I found:
https://www.chaingallery.com/stainless- ... chain.html

The chain at the top is what I purchased, the middle is the original and the bottom was the previous best replacement available. The new chain still weighs 30% less, but I'm quite happy with it over what I previously was using. That old chain was extremely thick.
Attachments
IMG_20200121_140210a.jpg
JC

Re: Finally found a good source of chain

Post by JC »

Curious to know what type/make of crane are you referring to? On my ESCo cranes, and indeed all those I have come across over many years, it is only the rise and fall of the jib that uses chain (the claw being operated by chord). As far as I can recall, it is always ladder chain, which is freely available.
Attachments
Ladder chain.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JC, I thought the same, but on searching Yaks previous posts I was reminded that he restored a 50's or 60's Carnival style crane with Tonka like truck inside, so pretty sure this is what he's refering to.
JC

Post by JC »

Ah yes, I see now. I too have looked back at previous posts - forgot about the Erie digger thread (if anyone missed that, check it out - well worth a read). !THUMBS!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

JC, I thought you were going to give us a 'link' to this post :lol:

(Ok I hear the groans......... just my way of getting through the day)
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

I should have mentioned that. Yes, this is for the Erie Digger style cranes. But you guys figured it out. !SMARTY!