Tumbling-in

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
luckystar

Tumbling-in

Post by luckystar »

Early stage of build
Early stage of build

Just finished this machine before the lock down, called Tumbling-in.
Great fun to play. Don't think it will be going out this year as nearly all our shows have been cancelled.

bryans fan

Re: Tumbling-in

Post by bryans fan »

Looks a great fun machine that will attract people to play it. Watching the video there didn't appear to be many lose coins, most seemed to fall into one of the dumper truck buckets. Make sure it's a good earner before you take it out! !WINK!
Well done !!GOODJOB!! Thanks for sharing it with us
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi All,
Made the Tumbling-in over winter. A bit of a nightmare - had so many problems with the centre disc, especially drilling the pin holes. The first one I painted up, drilled the centre hole - this cracked the circle in half. Some of the plastic would not drill right. I even used a hot nail to start the hole off. I completed one circle with all the pins painted and it decided to warp. After 8 or 9 goes, I decided not to paint it but drill the holes first; that seemed to do the trick. A couple of the pins were loose, so I used a dab of super glue on the backs; had my dinner, went back into the garage to find that it had split in half. Finally got one complete. Didn't take long to build the cabinet. The little trays were another problem. I used gel coat and fibreglass mat, but the coins tended to make marks on the gel coat. I had to use clear resin with pigment. Fitting it all together was a bit of a nightmare, as the motor did not turn the disc completely round - that's the trouble with foreign motors. After sometime fiddling, it all seemed to go together well. The motor was 12 volt. I made the clowns' heads myself out of fibreglass, as they were too dear to be made of brass.

A very addictive game and gives good value for a pound. I was really looking forward to taking it out this year, as we had so many new shows come in January and we hadn't started to phone our regulars up yet. This was going to be our last year with the arcade, a great little business. All the broken discs have been turned into something else.
Pete
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Nice job Pete !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Another cracker from your stable Pete, well done mate!

BP :tarah:
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Great looking machine, well done **xXx**
Quote; luckystar said.--- The first one I painted up, drilled the centre hole - this cracked the circle in half. Some of the plastic would not drill right. I even used a hot nail to start the hole off. I completed one circle with all the pins painted and it decided to warp. After 8 or 9 goes, I decided not to paint it but drill the holes first; that seemed to do the trick.
I think the problem here is that you are using clear Acrylic which is very brittle and cracks easily. Polycarbonate, trade names are Lexan, Makrolon, is a little bit more expensive and in thicker sizes bullet proof. !!BANGBANG!! Lexan is softer but has a scratch resistant surface and it is possible to drill slightly under size holes and force fit pins into it and it will not shatter. When I was at work we used Lexan exclusively in a number of projects and it was possible to cut sheets with a carpenters circular table saw and drill holes in it with 2 and 3" hole saws. It is also possible to machine it on a lathe.
Hope this info will help builders with their projects.
John
Last edited by wembleylion on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Nice overall dimensions, gives a good drop time for the coin.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi John, We tried using three different types of sheet they all went the same way.We emailed one firm for some quotes but their minimum order was £200, Pete.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

luckystar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 am We emailed one firm for some quotes but their minimum order was £200, Pete.
Make a few more and sell them
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi They take to long to make & to fine tune them.If funds get tight they will all be up for sale, Pete.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Hi Pete,

Somehow, I don't think your supplier is selling you Polycarbonate. I have used and machined Lexan for many, many years, including cutting 19" diameter discs 8mm thick on a metalworking lathe, without any problems.
Yes, Some suppliers just don't want small order customers or they want to sell you a whole sheet, far more than you need for one project. Lexan is expensive if you have to buy a whole sheet but there are sellers on eBay who supply cut sizes. This seller supplies 400 x 400mm Polycarbonate sheets for £20 in 6mm thick and £33 in 10mm thick. I think it is a reasonable price for a one off machine.
Link here -- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3-4-5-6-8- ... 5a732ff810

John
mr spam

Post by mr spam »

Post deleted - Site Admin.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi sorry don't understand your message try posting again Pete.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I wonder if this is spam, see the link below the video, “cdg car service” Charles de gaule airport .....I don’t clink on links I am wary of :!?!:
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi all, it looked a bit funny Pete.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, looks like it. Post and account now deleted.