Allwin style home build questions

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
geofflove

Allwin style home build questions

Post by geofflove »

So I’m considering building my own allwin style game. I have never owned a ‘real’ one though to have little knowledge to go on. I am quite handy though...! A couple of questions if I may....

Does anyone know of anywhere with any diagrams/detailed photos of the key parts like the coin mechanism/ball release as this would give a head start and probably some good ideas to save me trying to reinvent the wheel? I’ve obviously seen pics of the back of these machines but they don't always show the detail of certain parts clearly enough.

In terms of materials, what are the chutes etc. generally made of? Brass sheet? Steel sheet?

Finally, is there any source for the chrome guides on the front that the ball shoots around? What have people used for these?

Any hints and tips gratefully received!

Cheers
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Allwin style home build questions

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Geoff,
You may find the valiant attempt by Forum member Coin-op to put it all into words (with the aid of a number-labelled picture) instructive: i need help - allwins

Different manufacturers used different methods of ball release. The 'channel blocked by paddle on a rod' method that Wonders (amongst others) used is much simpler and easier to fabricate than Rudolph Walther's patented pallet wheel ball release used on German and Oliver Whales allwins etc.

Chutes etc. are often cadmium plated steel (forget the cadmium! :sick: ). Runners (ball track) turn up once in a while and they're available new from Retro-arcade.co.uk. See this post. This stainless steel track conforms to the most common design, which was grooved-profile chromium plated rolled brass. Bryans allwins opted for simpler lengths of plated, flat rolled steel.

Have a look also at this topic: Homemade Allwin payout mechanism.

If you need further pictures or advice - just ask. Good luck and keep us informed.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks so much. This is a really helpful post. I’ll spend some time reading the info from these links. Thanks again!
raj

Post by raj »

I've just finished a scratch built (in part) allwin, using an old Bryans cabinet and door wood pieces I had kicking around the shed. I happened to have a ball gallery from ebay, which is a must really. I didn't bother trying to build a payout mech, as this would have been months on the making, simply build a divert from the win holes straight back to the kicker, for a free game. I used Bryan's method of gravity to make a ball release mech, mainly trial and error on the grinding wheel to get the balance right. I used some old Bryans track I had kicking around, wish I had Oliver Whales grooved track, as this is much better. Having used ali strip in the past, I would not recommend it as it is too slow. Ball kickers can be made out of chrome door handles, one for the front, and the other to use as the kicker, with a bolt ground down to hit the ball. Use the thinnest stainless sheet for the kicker box and ball gallery, as it is hard to cut, and ali for bits that don't show. Sticky backed plastic is OK for the backflash, or green felt if preferred, or just buy a repro flash. Washers for the ball holes, polished and ground. Lift off hinges can be found on ebay, or make out of square bar, drilled and filled with nail cut offs. Lots more to share, but getting late.
Attachments
IMG_20200522_074602a.jpg
IMG_20200522_074623a.jpg
IMG_20200522_074713a.jpg
IMG_20200522_074725a.jpg
Last edited by raj on Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Some great ideas there. Thanks.
raj

Post by raj »

You really need something to copy from, if possible, just to understand the principles of operation and dimensions. I was lucky to have a box of bits and pieces to fall back on, but I did make a brand new Bryans cabinet out of oak, which threw this one spare. I have a new Ollie Whales case which needs a door making, so that is my next project during lockdown.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

That looks fab! Great job done there!
One question.... how did you make the flicker out of the chrome door handles? Did you just cut them down? In which case how did you finish the cut end? Love to see a close up of that! Cheers
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Also what did you use for the payout cup?
raj

Post by raj »

The handle is from Toolstation; various styles available, but it was just a simple chromed alloy one. Take off the circlip to dismantle; check the length of the curve against an original if you have one. Cut to length with a cutting wheel or hacksaw, clean and form the end on a rotating sanding disc and polish on a wheel. The square handle rod forms the operating lever for the kicker. I lost the plot a little on the square rod, hoping to get the right angle to get the kicker to hit the ball and ended up rounding most of it and drilled and pinning the kicker. The 'payout' was an old one that came with the machine and I only used it because of the shape of the hole in the lower door and blanked it with a piece of stainless. The cup is an alloy door pull handle polished and screwed to the stainless. It goes without saying no coins get returned! All in all, you need a lot of tools and patience!
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the tips. I’m just tidying up an old Win a Cig machine. Once I’ve done that, I’m going freestyle with my own...! I'm thinking Win a Choc and did wonder about incorporating the multi-ball, fill the column type, but not sure I’m feeling that brave (or stupid!).

On that matter, if anyone knows, on that type where the columns fill until the prize is given, once all the columns empty on payout, what system is there for holding all the balls? Is it simply a large channelled area, and is there any problem with them jamming each other as they drop into play again? Anyone got any pics of the back from one of these?