Oh Boy Gum vending machine

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
runner

Re: Oh Boy Gum vending machine

Post by runner »

Thanks,

I hadn't heard of Plus Gas before, I might try some. With WD 40, if you don't wipe it off, it can go into a hard to remove residue, as I found out when I sprayed a lot on my motorbike one winter. One of the screws had to be drilled out as it was so rusty. It is a good idea to put a lot of masking tape around the offending screw in case the drill slips.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My Father introduced me to Plus Gas in the 60s.
If possible get the tin with the liquid version and not the aerosol.

BP :cool:
runner

Post by runner »

Can't seem to fathom how the coin mech works. Not pulling all the way out at the moment. I thought the three holes at the front were for coins at first, but these are not big enough to sit a half penny, so must be for putting your fingers in to push up the gum to release it?
My brain hurts...
Attachments
DSCF4276a.jpg
DSCF4258a.jpg
DSCF4259a.jpg
gummy

Post by gummy »

This is superb . Certainly associated with the Goudey Gum USA and British Chewing Sweets (Empire chewing ? ) of the 1930s. I would guess 1927 to 1931 ish. Brilliant find.

Edited to change date to 1927, as this ties in with the UK interests in Goudey.
gummy

Post by gummy »

A shred of info regarding Goudey Gum & The Bristish Chewing Sweets connection.
In April 1927 Harry Lauder a great chewing gum fan (the Prince Of Wales at the time was also a fan) was on a tour of America and Canada with a Major Hugh A Green. During this short time they purchased a $10,000 interest in the Goudey gum company and sat on the board of directors. Demand was high, one shipment contained over 3 million sticks of gum.
Two factories, the Canadian Goudey plant, and one in Boston, were also purchased during this visit on behalf of a UK/Canadian syndicate.
The Empire/British Chewing sweets was the UK off spring I guess.
The Goudey Gum Co has a vague history with confusion arising over its USA and Canadian plants.

(I'm a gum card collector and this piece has great historical interest with the links between USA and UK).

Hope this helps a little.
gummy

Post by gummy »

The gum was sold in 2 sizes, an 'Adult' pack (Fivers) and, as the wall sign shows, a smaller pack was available for a farthing, probably available at a confectioner where you could exchange your 5 wrappers to obtain a photo card of a popular footballer, movie star, jockey, boxer etc. The cards became available in 1933, possibly earlier. Time and research will tell.

This vending machine could have been the conduit that gave the gum chewers the wrappers to obtain their cards. Special find in my eyes.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tallstory wrote:I always find that Plus Gas is better than the ubiquitous WD40 for freeing seized bolts and nuts
Been using Plus Gas for a long time and find it much better than WD40 for penetrating stubborn nuts/bolts etc. owing to its really low viscosity. Had this can for quite a few years - they may have changed the graphics by now !
Attachments
Plusgasa.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That looks like the can my old Dad had on the shelf in the shed back in the 60s.
The one I have in my shed is an aerosol which is a much better idea than dribbling it in.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:37 pm If possible get the tin with the liquid version and not the aerosol.
badpenny wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm The one I have in my shed is an aerosol which is a much better idea than dribbling it in.
You're confusing me... :-?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

tallstory wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:07 amI always find that Plus Gas is better than the ubiquitous WD40 for freeing seized bolts and nuts
I agree that Plus Gas is very good but to be fair to WD40 their range of products has expanded greatly in recent years. They now produce 28 products including this one which is very much like plus gas.
https://wd40.co.uk/product/fast-release ... ant-spray/
Attachments
WD40-pen.jpg
WD40-pen.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

pennymachines wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm
badpenny wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:37 pm If possible get the tin with the liquid version and not the aerosol.
badpenny wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm The one I have in my shed is an aerosol which is a much better idea than dribbling it in.
You're confusing me... :-?
I exchanged my shares from the liquid to the aerosol product.
Dribbling no longer pays the premium.

BP :didact:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

badpenny wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:37 pm
If possible get the tin with the liquid version and not the aerosol.
badpenny wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:07 am
The one I have in my shed is an aerosol which is a much better idea than dribbling it in.
10:37 PM versus 3:07 AM.

J Peterson
Time is not on our side, USA
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Always prefer dribbling rather than splashing it everywhere. Could just be a sign of old age though.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

tallstory wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:27 pmCould just be a sign of old age though.
How true! The days of the aerosol are long gone. I've tried shaking it for 2 mins but I think the jet needs cleaning out. :shock:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

john t peterson wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:56 pm J Peterson
Time is not on our side, USA
I wrote the second one after I awoke suddenly when another driver sounded his horn at me.
runner

Post by runner »

gummy wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:35 am A shred of info regarding Goudey Gum & The Bristish Chewing Sweets connection.
In April 1927 Harry Lauder a great chewing gum fan (the Prince Of Wales at the time was also a fan) was on a tour of America and Canada with a Major Hugh A Green. During this short time they purchased a $10,000 interest in the Goudey gum company and sat on the board of directors. Demand was high, one shipment contained over 3 million sticks of gum.
Two factories, the Canadian Goudey plant, and one in Boston, were also purchased during this visit on behalf of a UK/Canadian syndicate.
The Empire/British Chewing sweets was the UK off spring I guess.
The Goudey Gum Co has a vague history with confusion arising over its USA and Canadian plants.

(I'm a gum card collector and this piece has great historical interest with the links between USA and UK).

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the info gummy. I managed to get hold of some original Oh Boy gum wrappers from Canada also.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Major Hugh Aitchison Green being, of course, the father of BBC child wonder Hugh 'Hughie's Gang' Green, who later on moved to television as a famously insincere game show host.