Game ideas

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
moonriver

Re: Game ideas

Post by moonriver »

Yes Gameswat, I'll try and upload a video.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

geofflove wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 am That's an interesting idea. Now, how to do it....?! I guess a single sequence could be done with a few transistors in a chain. To get it changing the sequence I'd have to do something with a Pi or similar. Unless you know differently?
I have one of these from an old mill office, with some fab names on the extensions such as Mr Smee, but it doesn't have as many switches as yours. As yours has so many different switch combinations and as previously suggested I quite like the idea of a fortune teller too.
Based on the childrens game 'Guess Who'. Switches could be used to select colour of eyes, colour of hair, style of hair, glasses or not, season of date of birth, etc . Once selections are placed, then by pressing the 'ring' button and lifting the receiver the fortune is delivered. Obviously a lot easier to make just with the same random unisex fortunes no matter what switch combination is entered, but far more of a challenge to have the selection actually alter the fortune delivered towards a more detailed answer that hints and makes reference to the selection entered.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the great ideas! And wow - that race machine is impressive wacky and impressive, full stop!

I’ve actually gone. A bit off piste from my original idea and decided to incorporate a Nixie tube clock into it. Never worked with one before so a good excuse. I’m also planning to put some randomly lighting leds in the line windows. And a buzzer because why not.

The switches are actually all linked in that you can only latch one at a time. Press any other one and the first releases which makes the fortune one a bit tricky. It’s easy to unlink the two banks so they are independent but not more than that. Interestingly the switches also have an up and down position with separate switches.

I’ll let you see the finished result when done. I do really like the look of it any they do seem to come up regularly on eBay in different shapes and sizes so might have another go after this one....
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've just bought some multi colour led bulbs designed for projects from wish.com (they were 67p +£2 postage for 60). They might do the job well. A word of warning though if you have never used wish.com before. It's like a drug. It's ts all but impossible to browse the site without buying something (A) it's so cheap and (B) you see things you never knew existed, lots of rubbish mixed in but some incredible gems, like the plastic tube permanent wire connectors. Push the wires in at each end then use a heat gun on it. The solder in the middle of the tube melts to make a permanent join. So easy to use in a tight space(£3 for 100):

https://www.wish.com/product/5ea12bfdd3 ... ?share=web
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

D0B365E4-1872-46BE-80B7-762F74B4B47A.jpeg

So for anyone interested, I finished the project I asked about a week or so back. Sadly I didn’t end up following a game idea. The switches are all linked so being able to select several choices at once wasn’t possible unless I’d introduced a transistor latching system for each one.

I did install LEDs behind each of the line lights and these slowly light up in a ‘random’ sequence when one of the switches is activated. I had thought about doing a skill type game where the lights chased around and you could pick a switch and try to stop the light on it as it pass like a fruit manic episode skill stop. However my brain ran out of power trying to work out how to only accept a press on the switch once the light was on it rather than holding it down for the light to arrive! Any ideas how to do that?

I’ve also utilised a couple of the switches to set the time, clock mode etc. And of course added the Nixie tube clock. I’ve always been facinated by these so it was a good excuse to include one and it does look the place.

I’ve also added a buzzer for the call switch. However, this is pretty tinny. I’d rather have deeper buzzer or even better a proper old phone bell. However, I’ve only got 12v dc to play with so old phone bells are no good. Anyone know an old bell or buzzer source that would work on 12v?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There are many cheap 12V buzzers made for cars.
Attachments
tumbnail_23d3e567-6625-4285-b0d8-e9372d8d1662a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I like what you have done with it very much CoNgRaTs
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:05 pm There are many cheap 12V buzzers made for cars.
Yes that’s the type I’ve put in it but it’s a bit high pitched to suit. I wanted something with a deeper buzz to it!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I do not know if those buzzers are suitable but reducing the power to them might lower the pitch if they are in fact buzzers in the old sense rather than a solid-state version.