Automatic Sports Co. Cricketer at HutchinsonScott

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
moonriver

Automatic Sports Co. Cricketer at HutchinsonScott

Post by moonriver »

Topic split, moved and merged from Re: Elephant House Auctions - Site Admin.
treefrog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:28 pm and one particular machine listed today :shock: if you have very deep pockets ;-)
...........and just down the road from me for a change.
aristomatic

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by aristomatic »

Yes, it's a lot of lolly, but it would certainly be a keeper.
Last edited by aristomatic on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

Thought the Gresham stuff left UK? Where is this auction pls?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It was yesterday and on all the online bidding sites, lots of bids, apparently 100 lots, but not many machines. See below discussed here and link to saleroom. Look at end of auction. About a dozen machines.......

The deep pocket machine mentioned I don’t think is related and I think I would bother to go and view just to say I had seen one ;-)

Re: Saleroom roundups

Arcadia, Fine Art, Antiques and Studio Pottery
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Following on from Treefrog's post, seems I'm going to have to declare my interest in this!
A long drive to collect, but suppose I could have a couple of short stops. A safe bet it will sell for a lot of lolly, however, I'd give my right arm to own one of these. I think I'd only bale out if it went over the very high reserve. If it sells for more, well fine, kudos to those bidders. Prices are on the up for similar machines, particularly this maker's name. No doubt of course there will be all and sundry at the auction.
Last edited by aristomatic on Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

aristomatic wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:33 pm No doubt of course there will be all and sundry at the auction.
Sundry's definitely going; I haven't heard from All.
As this cat's already out of the bag: A LATE 19TH CENTURY PAINTED CAST IRON 'PENNY IN THE SLOT' CRICKET ARCADE
Attachments
Cricketer1ba.jpg
Crickete2a.jpg
Cricketer3a.jpg
Cricketer5a.jpg
Cricketer6a.jpg
Cricketer7a.jpg
Cricketer8a.jpg
Cricketer9a.jpg
Cricketer10a.jpg
Cricketer11a.jpg
Cricketer12a.jpg
Cricketer13a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Automatic Sports Co. Cricketer at HutchinsonScott

Post by treefrog »

How many of these are left in this country? Only hope it stays here. Not sure about the colour, would of thought cricket pavilion green (darker) would be more appropriate. !OMFG!

30% commission :!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I put the above images through a Photoshop filter which made the colour more palatable. It's more lime in the original pictures - definitely not my favourite shade of green. Still, if you can afford the machine, you can afford a can of paint. Or maybe not by the time you've paid the commission. :lol:
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

I thought a history of this machine may be of interest. The first record of it is in some old photos, I think from the 1950s. These are black and white pictures from the Holloway family - note the altered coin entry.

cricketer20210424_17414648bwa.jpg

The next two were taken with the owner's consent and copies given to me about 15 years ago. I had known of this machine for more than 20 years; other collectors even longer. Many tried to buy it, but never for sale at any price. It was then owned by an accountant or solicitor, I do not remember which. He was a cricket fan, not a coin-op collector. I can only assume he must have died.

cricketer20210424_17414648a.jpg

cricketer20210424_17414648-(4)a.jpg

The last time a similar machine was sold was in 2001 at Christies South Kensington (see copy of auction catalogue below). It differed from the current one for sale with a crest instead of the three cricketers on the roof. I know of four other machines similar to this one in America and three in Australia. The one sold in 2001 had an estimate of £3/5,00, plus the then buyers premium of 17.5% plus vat rate? It sold for a hammer price of £18,000 and went to America. I know of only one machine in this country similar to the one in the auction and it is unlikely to come on the market. It is interesting to note the batsman is W.G. Grace; the bowler is possibly Lord Hawke.

I would suggest taking this opportunity to see this machine, if you missed seeing the last one twenty years ago, if you can. I also suggest buying a lottery ticket or two, as I think the upper estimate may well be exceeded! Good luck to everyone. Remember it's only money, and if you have it you cannot take it with you when you go, but what a wonderful thing to own till then. I agree a repaint would improve it if you buy it.
Attachments
cricketer20210424_17592041a.jpg
cricketer20210424_17511778a.jpg
cricketer20210424_17511778cua.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Let's see how close we can guess the sale price. I think it will make 25k
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

aristomatic wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:33 pm ...... I'd give my right arm to own one of these....
T'would make it trificult to play.
!PUZZLED!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Good point BP. Still, it's only my right arm. It is not like I'm in my box in Boot Hill! Anyway, who said I wanted to play it? At that price, maybe I want to leave it as a display item, as someone may break it..! But, I doff my cap to ever eagle eyed BP.

Perhaps I should be more guarded with my posts from now on? However, there's every chance you'll catch me out again BP, so it's bye from me! I'm off out for a pint, a full one at that, then maybe a spot of gardening whilst sun shines.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks Sweetmeats for the info, how on earth do you track this info, incredible. !!THUMBSX2!!

I wonder what the flags do on the other machine, or are they just ornamental?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.... flutter in a breeze? /\UK/\
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Further to treefrog's post, I had forgotten the flags. They seemed to be a later addition and did not move. I was at the sale in 2001 along with the great and the good of the collecting fraternity (and some not so good!) all hoping to buy it for around £10,000 hammer including me! Sold to a well known magician and slot collector from New York , who I subsequently found only heard about it the day before and thought he was bidding on a footballer! The Holloway picture was bought from a former collector together with his collection of postcards showing slot machines. There were about a hundred negatives showing machines as diverse as cast iron Matthewson to Bollands on site at Chessington zoo, counter top and wall machines never seen even today, dating to around 1900.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Just stunning.
yooser27

Post by yooser27 »

Hello,
The photos of the Ye Olde Cricket Match brought back some happy memories playing on a similar machine at Raby Mere on the Wirral 60 plus years ago!

It looked ancient when we played it, due to style of clothing of the cricketers and the general look of the machine. The colours were much darker, especially the green. I can't remember what was on the roof of the machine.

It was kept outside by a small cafe near to a small lake under a number of large trees along with an electric shock machine with two handles and we all used to interlink our hands, therefore we all got a shock which could be increased by rotating one of the handles.

There were a number of other machines which I just can't remember, though there was also a name plate making machine. We used to use rowing boats and paddle boats on the small lake (for a small fee) which had an island in the middle.

There were about 12 machines which were then moved nearby to a barn/shed which we still used but they 'vanished' years later. I'll ask my brother if his memory is better than mine!
All the best from Neale.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

It's taken me a bit of time to find, but I knew I had a newspaper cutting of the machine. Not on my computer but a real piece of paper!
Attachments
Scan_20210428a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm amazed a Cricketer was still being operated so 'recently', yooser27. Great to hear those memories. Yes, do quiz your brother. !THUMBS!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

What is that wizard doing to those tiny men???