Brooklands Racer

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Brooklands Racer

Post by treefrog »

Shame this got pulled over the weekend, don't see these too often, I have a couple of the Breadbin BDR's, but this looks great..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330651154226? ... 1423.l2649

Re: BMR and BDR bandits
Attachments
brooklands1.jpg
brooklands2.jpg
bandito

Re: Brooklands Racer

Post by bandito »

Mr tree frog, the guy must have been fooled into thinking "I'll give you £500 quid mate, I'm in the area, can pick it up later, and save you ebay fees etc etc......." :oops:
When will punters realise if it is worth anything, ebay will get you a fair price. That machine would have fetched £800 - £1000 me thinks.... !!ESCAPE!!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

He would not take a penny less than 1500, and he saved all the fees, so quite a savvy punter after all.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

They don’t come up for sale often, but the same machine was sold at Dukes in Dorset yesterday and for £1000 (£1300 with comm)

I was intrigued as the same machine sold last year at the elephant for £2750 inc commission, which was a staggering amount given it had damage. So a big drop and if the same owner, after commission would have only got around £750 back :shock:

I did have a punt and stopped below winning the bid as not as interested in these as I was 10 years ago, also did not view as to any other issues.....anyway back to a normal price I guess. Funny thing is I bid real slow and there was only one other bidding in the room (or phone), so could have gone a lot cheaper :HaHa:

I remember a well known a person in the hobby said he is using one as a step to get into his caravan, certainly strong enough...
Attachments
DE0069CA-8B29-4E06-86FE-ED6BF6B96920.jpeg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I was offered this machine (I remember the damage) in the early 90s for £150.
I declined because it was dripping black oil, it was heavy and damaged. Also I was bit peeved because I had driven a long way to buy a Jennings Governor (pre internet) and it turned out to be a Victoria.

BP !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Is it authentic?

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

This machine was one of the most expensive machines sold in the recent (new style) EH sales and, at first glance, I wasn't surprised. But when you take a closer look you must ask "is it original or just a later conversion"?
Clearly, a very un BDR-like backplate and all you would need to do to make the conversion would be to make the backplate and new reels strips (discs) info cards and award card. So I'm thinking it's a conversion( factory or third party? I'm thinking third party). Then there is the question, does it matter if it's a conversion as far as the value is concerned? My view is perhaps yes, making the selling price of £1211 a bit too much?
any views?
Attachments
brook 3.jpg
treefrog

Re: is it authentic ?

Post by treefrog »

In my opinion, not a factory change, probably done by the likes of one of the big resellers/dealers like Chicago or Samson. I would expect BDR to have cast a proper back plate, also still has Brooklands on front.

The things that put me off were the following

1) not working and if missing or broken parts, near impossible to get replacement

2) the modifications were possibly retrievable, unscrewing backplate and new disc artwork, but would not be original and you would have holes all over the place

3) the locking plate had 4 screws drilled through front, looking crude and not seen on all other models I have seen.

4) most importantly the handle was badly bent and on top of that at the base of handle had previously been welded, so may break again if trying to straighten

The last one that sold was the green one for less than this price last year.....so you make your mind up.....I am in no hurry, but one day I will get one |/XX\|

Cottees-195.jpg

Just to add, if I had bought I would have left as is in terms of theme....

Image Image