Service, repair & restore Beromat, Novomat etc.

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
treefrog

Re: Novomat Restoration

Post by treefrog »

For me the worst part of the machine has to be the handle assembly. Sometimes you are better not to disassemble as when it is held together and works, best left alone as you can remove the backplate only for the whole thing to fall apart. The metal issue is either there from birth or not there at all I reckon, maybe a fault in the mix or manufacture.

Second problem area is the coin acceptors, again thin metal and often suffers fatigue. Also being modified by U.K. operators to our coinage making things worse. I have come across many variations on the conversion, proving many different groups were doing this.

I have found the payout issues fairly easy to address, but the detector rod, if not straight or at the right angle to drop and lift can be a real pain. Also timing, there are few adjustments on this, especially ensuring the rod has time to drop before the locking mechanism is released on the slides

You can go on and on. I am with you, how every much they are pain I love these machines and when you get them running properly, it is the greatest pleasure to watch them operate !!THUMBSX2!!
thornebt

Removal, basic maintenance & repair of Beromat etc. mechanism

Post by thornebt »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I would like to remove my Beromat innards from the case but can't see how to do it. I can see there are four wingnuts and brackets. Will the whole mechanism then slide right out of the operating handle mechanism and also leave the coin shute in place? Cheers. Bruce.
treefrog

Re: How do you remove the mechanism from a Beromat please?

Post by treefrog »

While holding mechanism undo 4 wing nuts as mentioned and jiggle to the right and the mechanism should free itself from the handle assembly and coin acceptor which are secured to the case |/XX\|
thornebt

Re: How do you remove the mechanism from a Beromat please?

Post by thornebt »

Brilliant. Thank you.
tallstory

Re: How to remove the mechanism from a Beromat

Post by tallstory »

Thought you might be interested in a translation of the German text which is usually pasted in the cabinet:
Please note!
Refill the machine
1. Push the left movable locking lever in the sorter to the left and hold it in this position.
2. Insert coins one after the other into the feed channel of the coin validator, which then run into the payment tubes.
3. After filling up the payment tube, the device should be used as a control until the winnings have been paid out several times so that the slides have filled and the correct payment is guaranteed.
Remove the machine:
1. Loosen the two upper holding clamps, push the clamping plate upwards and then screw it tight again.
2. Unscrew the lower wing screws.
3. Lift the chassis out to the right.
4. Installation is carried out in the reverse order, taking care that the coupling pin is inserted into the driver of the tear-off shaft.
Care and lubrication:
In addition to the general maintenance and lubrication of the machine, which is assumed to be known, it is important to note that the bearings of the drive – inside and outside – are regularly soaked with a few drops of medium, acid and resin-free oil approximately every 3 months.
Under no circumstances should oil get into the centrifugal governor, otherwise the drive will be blocked. On the other hand, the rollers do not require any maintenance, since they run on permanently lubricated ball bearings.
The payout slides are also to be regularly oiled in the holes provided for this purpose, while the outer edge of the slider package must be greased.
It is imperative that the coin validator and the inlet channel from this to the sorter are regularly cleaned of dirt deposits so that the coins run off properly.
Attachments
Regina-Lot-150-08a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Removal and basic maintenance of the Beromat mechanism

Post by badpenny »

Thanks ....
Our very own Mr. P published a translation of that notice. It's on here somewhere (probably Resources) however I can't find it at the moment so can't compare.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Removal and basic maintenance of the Beromat mechanism

Post by pennymachines »

Well done tallstory - I'm sure many will find this useful.

BP's correct. I put a translated reconstruction of the Novomat Operator Instruction Sheet in Resources (available as password-locked download).

Novomat Restoration guide:
Novomat English pdf

Novomat German pdf

BP - if you can remember what I've forgotten, I'll try to remember what you've forgotten. Hang on... what am I letting myself in for. !OMFG!
Attachments
Gunter-Wulff-Mechanisma.jpg
1.-Gunter-Wulff-Reel-Stripsa.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Removal, basic maintenance & repair of Beromat etc. mechanism

Post by badpenny »

You don't want to know what I've forgotten Mr.P, that way madness lays.

:NBG:
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thank you for the translation Tallpenny. Saves me trying to get hold of a German dictionary. A forum member has fixed my non-paying Beromat today and given it a 20,000 mile service. Runs beautifully now. Someone had modified the governer to speed it up but it now runs at the correct speed. Some other adjustments were also necessary. I'm very happy to have it fixed. This is a great forum.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Glad you have it sorted and have returned it to the proper 15 seconds running time. Any chance of a picture (inside and out)?
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

A couple of photos of my Beromat. The photos were correctly orientated when I attached them but I think the site has rotated them.
(I've swizzled them round for you, it wasn't the site. You'd replaced the mechanism sideways when you put it back in its case BP)

I've got some veneer to replace on the bottom of the front but have a selection of veneers, stains and varnishes so will do some test pieces to get as good a match as possible.

Cheers. Bruce.

Edit: I should add that I didn't rotate the wheels to three bells. The wife got those after just three or four goes!
Attachments
DSCN2905a.jpg
DSCN2906a.jpg
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Picking up one of these to work on soon. Thanks for this thread.
firestopper

Post by firestopper »

Hi Do you have any manuals on these Wolff machines ??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Short answer - no.
But check out my earlier post in this topic for reverse-engineered manual.
Instruction sheets here.
:WELCOME:
malcymal

Beromat mech - question

Post by malcymal »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi all.
I managed to get into the loft eave containing some of my coin op stuff and fished out the Roma (Vale) with the Beromat mech. I've been fettling as this has been in storage for a while, being reluctant to payout etc and I had to familiarise myself with how the thing works internally. I bought 100 uncirculated 1D coins so to start if off with non-bent, clean pennies

With some light sewing machine oil on the reel stops (very stiff) carefully loaded onto cotton buds so as not to cause spillage on Mrs F's carpet, it's playing, stopping and generally paying out now as expected except I have a mystery regarding the 2 win. There's five slides, but payout is 2, 4, 8 and 10 (no six). There are 9 possible 2 wins available and I've been experimenting with what happens when these combinations come up. Sometimes there is a very postive CLUNK when the 2 win comes in, as it does on all 4, 8 and 10 payouts and the slide zooms forward and this is generally on the same symbol sets. However, on others, normally the same symbols, cherry cherry, plum cherry (but bear in mind, multiples of these symbols, so not straightforward specifically finding what reel positions exactly are affected), the slide does not move all the way forward. You can hear the clock ticking in the background once the reels have stopped and on occasion the 2 coins pathetically fall into the payout tray with a plink once the clock ends its play cycle.

I have never tried taking anything apart on a Beromat mech as I'm fearful of the delicacy of the pot metal and things snapping. Now is there any cheat to try cleaning up the bottom slide without taking the coin stack and slides out?

There is also a slide release rod that goes into the front of the coin stack mechanism which is linked to the payout feeler bar/feelers that move foward ino the payout cogs attached to reels, hence allows the rod to move up allowing the 2, 4, 8 or 10 slides to fly forward on a win. I think I can lubricate this gently without oil going into main slide body. Alternatively, I was wondering if the payout feeler bar could do with stronger springs so the feelers are more aggressively moving into place. It feels as if there is good tension on the feeler bar, but I'm not sure. Why are there 5 slides, with only 4 payouts, or did the Beromat also have a 6 win at some point? Any advice welcome.
Thanks Malc
Attachments
Payout Feeler Bar -  Re-tension the springs?
Payout Feeler Bar - Re-tension the springs?
IMG_4331[1]a.jpg
Bottom slide doesn't always fly forward for 2 win
Bottom slide doesn't always fly forward for 2 win
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Beromat Mech - Question

Post by badpenny »

Force a win on one of your dodgy 2 coin wins, and with your hand help the feeler probes to descend by pulling down.
If it does the trick then you're machine is meeting resistance somewhere. It probably would like a strip down and degrease.
However if you don't fancy that, add an additional large spring (or two hooked together) between the the bar connected to the feeler probes and the bottom horizontal.
That plus 3 in 1 oiling all of the joints should improve things.

BP
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Take your courage in both hands and strip it down and clean it. They really aren't so bad to work on (usually) but if something is broken it's as well to know before it causes more damage.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

A couple of times, I've found the roller on the end of the payout bar has seized, causing resistance. (the roller top right, on the pic).
Squirt some WD40 in & try gently rotating it to free it off then remove it, clean & oil with 3 in 1.
Attachments
c1955_Mechanism_for_Beromat_Gl_as155a631z-2a.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks for your replies. I sat and observed payout sequences and actions of the payout slide release rod. On the symbols which were generally paying out lame if at all, I noticed the rod wasn’t moving as high as other winning symbols. I put a tiny bit of light sewing machine oil at the base of the rod and the whole thing kicked into life with a positive payout clunk; all 2 wins paying out.

The reel stops are all working great. They attach to a bar which actually has tiny holes in leading to the shaft and a tiny bit of lube on this is also making the reel stops more positive.

The reels spin at a tremendous lick. I think they would spin for ever if you could interrupt the clock. It’s all good. One thing I’d say though, were all Beromats as stingy on payouts as mine? I stuck 100 pennies through it and never hit a ten win once. Must have had a low payout percentage, which I’m surprised would pass UK avg. percentage payout. Maybe in Germany things weren’t the same.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Have you checked if any winning symbols have been spiked?
It was common practice to lower the payout % by bridging the gap on the disc and then altering the relevant symbol to a lose.