Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
luckystar

Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Post by luckystar »

Anyone seen one of these before? (Hell's Kitchen in the background).
Attachments
WModelwithRocket1.jpg
gameswat

Re: Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Post by gameswat »

Well that's not an original Exhibit Supply crane cabinet, no lock mounting holes on the left upright. And has a wooden front coin panel instead of alloy casting, phillips head screws for hinges, so would assume a modern repro fantasy. Looks kind of weird having the train jammed inside those columns and not on track.
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

No doubt 'inspired by' the very early working models sited at various British railway stations to collect loose change from waiting travellers for the Railway Servants' Orphanage. The first example here was sold at Great Central Railwayana Auctions, 07/12/19:
A coin operated brass model of Stephenson's Rocket, made by John Moss of Ambergate, named on a small brass plate under the engine, and contained in a glazed wooden case. The model is powered by a clock mechanism and takes pennies or other coins. The front has a photograph of the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Derby, for which the model raised funds. It was situated on the platform at Edinburgh Waverley and was rescued by the late Eric Lomax. Overall height 60".

From railwayana auction
From railwayana auction

The one with the cover removed is from the National Railway Museum.
Model steam locomotive, coin-operated clockwork 'Rocket' in upright display case, for fundraising for the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Midland Railway.
Attachments
From National Railway Museum
From National Railway Museum
medium_2004_7178__0002_.jpg
stephensons-rocket-brass-model-train_1_8a65815289db4c635c89e7b2659adfb3 (1).jpg
stephensons-rocket-brass-model-train_1_8a65815289db4c635c89e7b2659adfb3 (1).jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

I believe the Rocket dates back to 1930ish. The firm made about 30. They were used on railway platforms. I brought this about 14 years ago - never got 'round to building a cabinet. The Working model panel is cast in aluminium, wooden use ply. The Working model is Hell's Kitchen. I put the Rocket in the model for taking the photo only.

I think there is a picture in Darren Hesketh's book. Has anybody got a photo they can post?
Pete
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

luckystar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm I put the Rocket in the model for taking the photo only.
Just trying to confuse us eh. SkEpTiCaL

Darren's book reproduces the old Bolland family photo of Hell's Kitchen.

HellsKitchen.jpg

It also has a nice selection of railway models.
Darren Hesketh wrote:The first railway servants' orphanage opened in Derby in 1875, where this particular model spent its working life.
Forty one of them were on display by 1930, located at many major towns and cities - including London (2), Liverpool (2), Manchester (2) - as well as smaller seaside towns such as Morecambe, Llandudno, St Annes-on-Sea and, of course, Blackpool.
Attachments
rocket3.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Here is a Hell's Kitchen.
Attachments
IMG_2183.JPG
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

john t peterson wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:58 pm Here is a Hell's Kitchen.
Not many Bolland models were made in the larger French crane cabinets, which required bigger dioramas
john t peterson

I wrote an article, "I'm Topsy Turvy over Sweeney Todd" which I think was archived in the Arena at one point. It no longer is available. It had more pictures of Hell's Kitchen together with a description of the operation of the model. If you are familiar with the story, you know it is a saga of a mad barber who kills his patrons and then bakes them into pies. Not the kind of story one wants to hear as we emerge from Covid sequestration. Might be wise to delay that haircut a little longer.

J Peterson
PieMan, USA
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The Edinburgh Museum of Childhood has a home made working model loosely based on Sweeney Todd and also with a pie appearing at the end.
john t peterson

After a through investigation, I realize that I did not submit the article "I''m Topsy Turvey over Sweeney Todd." Oooops :oops:

If I can find the photos that went with the article, I will try and actually get it to Mr. PM for addition to the Arena.

J Peterson
Dropping the ball, USA