Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
luckystar

Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Post by luckystar »

Anyone seen one of these before? (Hell's Kitchen in the background).
Attachments
WModelwithRocket1.jpg
gameswat

Re: Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Post by gameswat »

Well that's not an original Exhibit Supply crane cabinet, no lock mounting holes on the left upright. And has a wooden front coin panel instead of alloy casting, phillips head screws for hinges, so would assume a modern repro fantasy. Looks kind of weird having the train jammed inside those columns and not on track.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No doubt 'inspired by' the very early working models sited at various British railway stations to collect loose change from waiting travellers for the Railway Servants' Orphanage. The first example here was sold at Great Central Railwayana Auctions, 07/12/19:
A coin operated brass model of Stephenson's Rocket, made by John Moss of Ambergate, named on a small brass plate under the engine, and contained in a glazed wooden case. The model is powered by a clock mechanism and takes pennies or other coins. The front has a photograph of the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Derby, for which the model raised funds. It was situated on the platform at Edinburgh Waverley and was rescued by the late Eric Lomax. Overall height 60".

From railwayana auction
From railwayana auction

The one with the cover removed is from the National Railway Museum.
Model steam locomotive, coin-operated clockwork 'Rocket' in upright display case, for fundraising for the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Midland Railway.
Attachments
From National Railway Museum
From National Railway Museum
medium_2004_7178__0002_.jpg
stephensons-rocket-brass-model-train_1_8a65815289db4c635c89e7b2659adfb3 (1).jpg
stephensons-rocket-brass-model-train_1_8a65815289db4c635c89e7b2659adfb3 (1).jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

I believe the Rocket dates back to 1930ish. The firm made about 30. They were used on railway platforms. I brought this about 14 years ago - never got 'round to building a cabinet. The Working model panel is cast in aluminium, wooden use ply. The Working model is Hell's Kitchen. I put the Rocket in the model for taking the photo only.

I think there is a picture in Darren Hesketh's book. Has anybody got a photo they can post?
Pete
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

luckystar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm I put the Rocket in the model for taking the photo only.
Just trying to confuse us eh. SkEpTiCaL

Darren's book reproduces the old Bolland family photo of Hell's Kitchen.

HellsKitchen.jpg

It also has a nice selection of railway models.
Darren Hesketh wrote:The first railway servants' orphanage opened in Derby in 1875, where this particular model spent its working life.
Forty one of them were on display by 1930, located at many major towns and cities - including London (2), Liverpool (2), Manchester (2) - as well as smaller seaside towns such as Morecambe, Llandudno, St Annes-on-Sea and, of course, Blackpool.
Attachments
rocket3.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Here is a Hell's Kitchen.
Attachments
IMG_2183.JPG
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

john t peterson wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:58 pm Here is a Hell's Kitchen.
Not many Bolland models were made in the larger French crane cabinets, which required bigger dioramas
john t peterson

I wrote an article, "I'm Topsy Turvy over Sweeney Todd" which I think was archived in the Arena at one point. It no longer is available. It had more pictures of Hell's Kitchen together with a description of the operation of the model. If you are familiar with the story, you know it is a saga of a mad barber who kills his patrons and then bakes them into pies. Not the kind of story one wants to hear as we emerge from Covid sequestration. Might be wise to delay that haircut a little longer.

J Peterson
PieMan, USA
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The Edinburgh Museum of Childhood has a home made working model loosely based on Sweeney Todd and also with a pie appearing at the end.
john t peterson

After a through investigation, I realize that I did not submit the article "I'm Topsy Turvey over Sweeney Todd." Oooops :oops:

If I can find the photos that went with the article, I will try and actually get it to Mr. PM for addition to the Arena.

J Peterson
Dropping the ball, USA
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi All,
Just started on the cabinet - bought a lovely old book cabinet from our local charity shop. Took me half a day to disassemble it. Some lovely old planks of oak. No pictures at this stage.
Pete.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi all, getting on well with the cabinet. Needs a good sand and varnish later. Going to have it working on 12 volt battery with a timer. Can't make my mind up about the cabinet where the Rocket sits. Would like to try and put some scenery in the background. The wooden frame is just a mock up to see what size looks best.
Pete.
Attachments
SR-1.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I think I would have made it all in one piece, with corner uprights going top to bottom to include the glass display case above, otherwise it risks looking like a (nice) repurposed stand with an addition sitting on top.
The top glass framed wooden box on top will now have to be really well fastened down to the base and super strong in its construction to avoid breaking when the machine is ever tipped backwards to move around in the future, or even lifted at both ends by others, everyone seems to manhandle from the top of cabinets 'walking' them to move about if they're heavy.
I'd be thinking the top of similar dimensions to the base so the proportion to the size of the model inside looks right. The mock up frame is way too small. Most of these cased models have glass to front and sides with locking access door to the rear.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Moonriver, how many machines have you made Pete.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Well you did ask for comments and I made mine by way of constructive criticism because I have an interest in working models.
I have been supportive commenting on previous machines you've made. The problem you have with asking for opinions is you tend to get responses that may not all be exactly as you think, and asking opinions of others is generally a good way of getting differing views.
As you haven't finished the top yet, the proportions will be whatever you decide to make them.
To answer your question......I've made quite a lot
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Moonriver, perhaps you should show us some pictures of the machines you have made Pete.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I certainly agree that the mock-up shown is far too small, like framing a portrait and covering the hairline and shoulders.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi All, the mock up was just some old scrap wood. The one that i will be making will be about 4 inches wider & 3 inches taller with an opening back door. Pete.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

luckystar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm Hi Moonriver, perhaps you should show us some pictures of the machines you have made Pete.
Pete, your original post........ "can't make my mind up about the cabinet where the Rocket sits"....appeared to invite constructive suggestions but I don't think playing a game of top trumps gets us anywhere. Some of my creations have been on the forum recently, but this thread isn't about me.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Can we have a thread about you; specifically about your amazing Working Models?