Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
luckystar

Re: Working model with Stephenson's Rocket

Post by luckystar »

Hi All,
Just started on the cabinet - bought a lovely old book cabinet from our local charity shop. Took me half a day to disassemble it. Some lovely old planks of oak. No pictures at this stage.
Pete.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi all, getting on well with the cabinet. Needs a good sand and varnish later. Going to have it working on 12 volt battery with a timer. Can't make my mind up about the cabinet where the Rocket sits. Would like to try and put some scenery in the background. The wooden frame is just a mock up to see what size looks best.
Pete.
Attachments
SR-1.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I think I would have made it all in one piece, with corner uprights going top to bottom to include the glass display case above, otherwise it risks looking like a (nice) repurposed stand with an addition sitting on top.
The top glass framed wooden box on top will now have to be really well fastened down to the base and super strong in its construction to avoid breaking when the machine is ever tipped backwards to move around in the future, or even lifted at both ends by others, everyone seems to manhandle from the top of cabinets 'walking' them to move about if they're heavy.
I'd be thinking the top of similar dimensions to the base so the proportion to the size of the model inside looks right. The mock up frame is way too small. Most of these cased models have glass to front and sides with locking access door to the rear.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Moonriver, how many machines have you made Pete.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Well you did ask for comments and I made mine by way of constructive criticism because I have an interest in working models.
I have been supportive commenting on previous machines you've made. The problem you have with asking for opinions is you tend to get responses that may not all be exactly as you think, and asking opinions of others is generally a good way of getting differing views.
As you haven't finished the top yet, the proportions will be whatever you decide to make them.
To answer your question......I've made quite a lot
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Moonriver, perhaps you should show us some pictures of the machines you have made Pete.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I certainly agree that the mock-up shown is far too small, like framing a portrait and covering the hairline and shoulders.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi All, the mock up was just some old scrap wood. The one that i will be making will be about 4 inches wider & 3 inches taller with an opening back door. Pete.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

luckystar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm Hi Moonriver, perhaps you should show us some pictures of the machines you have made Pete.
Pete, your original post........ "can't make my mind up about the cabinet where the Rocket sits"....appeared to invite constructive suggestions but I don't think playing a game of top trumps gets us anywhere. Some of my creations have been on the forum recently, but this thread isn't about me.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Can we have a thread about you; specifically about your amazing Working Models?
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi All,
Just finished doing all the wood work on the model case. Needs a good rub down and stain. I decided to make some rails and sleepers so the Rocket looks like it's sat on the track. Just noticed that there are bits of red paint on the wheels. I often wonder why this rocket was never used.
Pete.
Attachments
image2a.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Any news on the Rocket model Pete - is it finished yet?
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Jerry, sorry for the late reply. I have done a bit more work on the rocket. Made some rails and sleepers and the four bits of tube to hold the rocket up. Have been feeling a bit rough these last few weeks, been testing and all clear. Hope you are keeping well. Miss our arcade, Pete.
woody2

Post by woody2 »

pennymachines wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:26 pm The one with the cover removed is from the National Railway Museum.
Model steam locomotive, coin-operated clockwork 'Rocket' in upright display case, for fundraising for the Railway Servants' Orphanage, Midland Railway.
The Royal York Hotel had one of these for years... Wonder what happened to it?
brigham

Post by brigham »

I seem to remember one at Morecambe Promenade, too.