Wall mounting slot machines

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
kieran9990

Wall Mounting an Allwin

Post by kieran9990 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. I've just been bought an Allwin de Luxe for my birthday and I'd like to know how best to wall mount it.

I see in the past someone has put some holes to the rear casing but I would like to get a good idea from owners which is the most ideal way without the worry of it falling off the wall.

Many Thanks and Happy New year.
brigham

Re: Wall Mounting an Allwin

Post by brigham »

I always make a shelf (or just a batten) to take the weight, so that the screws through the back are only securing it to the wall.
That way, no load is being placed on the cabinet joints.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I have 10 on the wall just straight through the plywood back and never had a problem and use them daily.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, the topic has come up a few times... (Now merged above - Site Admin.)

As has been mentioned in the past, they were designed to be screwed directly through the backboard, but a few things to consider. Your wall fixings, type of wall e.g. plaster and age or state of the machine after many years of deterioration. Lastly, you have spent a lot of money on the item and would be really pissed if one night it dropped to the floor in pieces all for the cost of a £3.50 shelf from Wickes. I know what I would do and have done... ;-)
Attachments
A8387E5A-0860-41CF-920A-478293CE8AC4.jpeg
ollie h

Ideas for hanging moveable wall machines

Post by ollie h »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi
I have always displayed my allwins and other wall machines on side boards, console tables etc. The main reason for not permanently fixing them to the wall is my collection has been in spare bedrooms and hallways and anywhere that the wife will allow. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has snuck a machine in and waited for the wife to notice it before telling her that it’s been in the house for ages and just been repositioned.
Luckily for me I am in the process of building an outbuilding/ man cave in the garden to house my collection. I should hopefully have a fair bit of wall space so wanting to mount the wall machines where they were designed to be placed. I would however like the flexibility to move them around, swap and change as my collection evolves. So I had the idea of some sort of rail system that attaches to the wall and brackets that fix to the machines so they can easily be lifted off and moved around without having to put new holes in the wall each time.
So my question is has anybody done this in practice and could share their ideas and spread some light on the matter. Many thanks in advance.

Ollie
flyer58uk

Re: Wall mounting slot machines

Post by flyer58uk »

Topic split, moved & merged from Allwin Punch and Judy keys - Site Admin.

Has anyone got any tips for hanging these machines on the wall or recommended brackets etc etc

Appreciate your help
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

My preferred method is to screw a batten on the wall so the case can rest on it, thus taking most of the weight. Then it just needs a couple of screws through the rear panel to hold it in place. I would recommend stainless steel screws, as they are much stranger that steel, and to get some good quality wall plugs - not the cheap and nasty ones at a penny a dozen. This does assume that you wall is solid and not plaster board, in which case buy another house. :D
If it is much heavier than a standard allwin, then a well fixed shelf is best.
Attachments
Batten-for-Allwina.jpg
flyer58uk

Post by flyer58uk »

Thank you for the advice. The wall is indeed going to be plasterboard. I know you can get some good fixings these days for larger TVs so was hoping that was an option. I wondered about the 1m long metal bracket on the back and the wall, a bit like kitchen fittings use, but the back of these are not overly strong.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

lovely looking period display !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've usually placed a thin unobtrusive shelf under them.
On occasion horizontal battens to the inside of the case back strengthen the ply wood from fracturing from the isolated pressure of the screwhead/washers.

When it comes to the shelf I follow the Isambard Kingdom Brunel line of thought. At the age of only 28, Brunel was appointed chief architect to the Great Western Railway. A massive challenge was designing Maidenhead’s railway bridge over The Thames. The Thames is 100 yards wide at the point where a bridge needed to be built, and the Thames Commissioners stipulated that it must in no way impede the navigation channel or the towpath.
He ended up planning two unsupported flat arches. The Commissioners were not confident it would survive especially against the annual floodings that still happen even today. So they made him fit wooden arch supports to the underneath for two years, as a test. When it all survived and the wooden supports were eventually carried away in a flood without affecting the brickwork, Brunel came clean and told the truth. The wooden supports had never touched the brickwork in the first place. He was able to monitor any movement by checking if the bridge had settled at all and was touching the woodwork.
AMMS_1fd694928bac4ebc75c555ba57628ed8.jpg

So my method with the shelf was to place an old penny between the bottom of the case and the shelf. I then removed the coins before tightening everything up. The gap was minuscule, if the machine did sag from the wall it was only a 1mm movement before the shelf did its job. However once a month I could slide a penny "Shove Ha'penny Style" beneath the case. Thus proving all was secure, alternatively summat had moved and investigation was needed.

Mind you I don't experience Broad Gauge steam trains running across the top. I also believe IKB never dropped an Allwin.

BP :dapper:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Nice looking boat, BP. How do you fasten your allwin to the cabin wall? !PUZZLED!

J Peterson
Ahoy from USA !!COOEE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Bulkhead John, not wall.
You have to use a gimbal in order to ensure the playfield stays true. A problem that Isambard Kingdom Brunel had solved one morning after breakfast but before leaving for school.

BP !!STEER!!
Attachments
gimbals.gif
gimbals.gif (467.22 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Bulkhead John, not wall.
I should know better. I may have to turn in my Sailor Certificate. :woops:

J Peterson
Shipping water, USA
geofflove

Mounting wall machines

Post by geofflove »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I’m about to move a few wall machines and am thinking about the best way to mount them.

I’m considering a long metal bar horizontal and spaced slightly off the wall. Then attaching a couple of ‘hooks’ to each machine to hang them on the bar. I believe the same principle was used by showmen when the machines were travelling around place to place.

Question, has anyone found a source of a suitable hook to use for this? I don’t want anything too bulky that will make the machine stand too far off the wall. Anyone got a clever adaptation of something that I could source?

Thanks
coppinpr

Re: Mounting wall machines

Post by coppinpr »

Only an idea off the top of my head, but could these not be adapted? Small slots cut in the back of the machine (two per machine) would mean minimal damage to the machine, slightly straightening the hook so it hangs straight and adding another lower bar to even out the hanging angle. One benefit would be the easy moving and adjusting of the position on the wall of each machine at any time.
Attachments
Picture-Rail-Moulding-Hooks-Brass-Plated.jpg
Picture-Rail-Moulding-Hooks-Brass-Plated.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 715 times
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

I use Blue Tac !!ESCAPE!!
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:59 am Only an idea off the top of my head, but could these not be adapted? Small slots cut in the back of the machine (two per machine) would mean minimal damage to the machine, slightly straightening the hook so it hangs straight and adding another lower bar to even out the hanging angle. One benefit would be the easy moving and adjusting of the position on the wall of each machine at any time.

Good idea. What are these? They look so familiar…..
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

these are picture rail hooks, very inexpencive
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I use Blue Tac
and Chippendale tables for your bandits :smash:
table.jpg
table.jpg (6.2 KiB) Viewed 662 times

polaris

Post by polaris »

Although I haven’t tried it out yet I’ve given some thought to a French cleat which I think would work pretty well with the same thickness batten fixed to the bottom of the allwin to keep it perpendicular to the wall. You could fix a length to the wall and position anywhere along it?
Excuse the primitive drawing. 🙈
Attachments
IMG_0946a.jpg
IMG_0946a.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 625 times